IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wastegate Atmos. Dump

Hi All,

So I broke in my car as stated in the manual... I was really gentle. At about 800 miles, the car started to sputter a little bit. I pulled over to check if the gas cap was on tight, and it was, so I kept driving :-? . It would sputter every now and then, and all of the sudden the check engine light came on and it was doing really bad. About 15 seconds later, as I was pulling over, the problem went away.

For the next two hundred miles it would sputter and shutter and pretend like it was going to die, but this only happened every once in a while. I took it to the dealer for an oil change at 1020 miles and the tech said it was probably bad gas (even though I filled it with different fuel from a different vendor) or a 'hick-up' in the fuel system. Hmmm... anyway, he said it should be okay and bring it back if anything goes wrong again.

At 1050 miles, it kicked the proverbial bucket :cry: . It was doing fine (the hesitation every now and then)... then as I pulled in to my neightborhood it really started choking. As I slowly pulled in to my garage and put it in neutral it got really rough, I smelled gasoline, and it died. :cry:

The tow truck is on its way to my house. :cry: :cry: :cry:

T

·
0 Posts
Wow that blows big time! Yea hope it's something minor and can easily be fixed. But even though it sucks big time, and I feel your pain, think of it this way, at least it's under warranty and they should fix it at no cost. Please keep us posted as to the cause.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dude, I'm so sorry. That totally sucks. Hopefully you can figure it out. At 1,050 miles im sure you were just starting to have fun with your STi. Maybe you sucked up a small bird after takeoff :wink:

·
Registered
595 Posts
smoking engin?!?!?

I have had the same problem before in a different vehicale. My cause was water in the fuel. You probably have the same problem.

Drain the tank and fuel lines then put in fresh gas and it will be fine in a few minutes.

A quick

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
If that is the problem you could also thow in some of that stuff that I sometimes use during the winter to remove moisture from the fuel system. I think one brand is called "HEAT". Some fuel injector cleaners might do the same thing.

·
Registered
396 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
If that is the problem you could also thow in some of that stuff that I sometimes use during the winter to remove moisture from the fuel system. I think one brand is called "HEAT". Some fuel injector cleaners might do the same thing.
True, but since its under warranty, just let the dealer take care of it. Besides, who knows what that "HEAT" substance will do to this engine since it is always close to having knock on regular fuel.

-Lance

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Could it also be a defective battery? From what I understand, 9 times out of 10, problems like this are electrical and can be simply traced to the battery, or in the case of my first car, the alternator.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They checked out a few things and the cylinders were completely flooded with fuel. I've received some good tips from all kinds of people and have asked the techs to check in to them. The current suspects are a faulty fuel/air mixture sensor or throttle position sensor (the latter doesn't seem as likely to me).

They said they didn't spend a lot of time on it today, and most of the time they did spend on it I assume was just to get the extra fuel out of there. The ECU was read, and it turns out it did save the error code when the check engine light came on that few seconds (about 200 miles before it died).

Any suggestions as to what could have caused this would be appreciated... I want them to get it right the first time, and the techs who were working on it actually :eek: seemed interested :eek: in what I have to say. Forums are a good thing.

Hopefully they'll know more tomorrow... and hopefully it will be fixed soon after. I'd much rather be driving it than sitting here posting updates for the curious. :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds absurd, perhaps, but my boat did exactly the same thing. BTW, how much fuel inthe tank when it happened? Half a tank or so?

Check the fuel filter.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, for those who are interested, they found the problem. It was a sticky fuel injector. By the way the car was behaving most of the time it seems that it was sticking closed. Then, as I pulled in to my garage it stuck open and flooded.

They ordered the part and should have my car fixed by tomorrow afternoon! :D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Just imagine all the extra power you'll have now that you are running on all cylinders. Woohoo.

-Lance

·
Registered
5 Posts
make sure you get an oil change....all that gas leaking past the rings under pressure will surely contaminate your oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts