·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
350 Posts
2004 STi BBS Wheels with Potenza Tires for Sale (Gold) Exc C

Is there any drilling required to mount it? Also, where can the jack be moved to, since this will sit where the jack is.

Thanks
-d

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is drilled down to the trunk ... I don't ever take it out. I ran my 13.2's in my old wrx with the older version of this box ... and I auto-x'd with it without any problems ... the weight really wasn't all that significant.

On the other hand, I have heard of people using serious velcro to hold them down, and keep them down even for spirited driving .... you might want to look into that.

My jack sits in a nice padded bubble type pack, inside the spare tire in the trunk .... no banging around .. and it fits rather perfectly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
two questions:
1: where are you mounting your amp?
2: how much of the trunk side material do we have to cut to install it?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one amp under my driver's seat (for my components up front) and I have my other amp under the passenger seat (10W6 V2 Sub)

No cutting .... the box is made to fit into the left side of the trunk minimizing any wasted space as much as possible.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry .. there aren't any plans to make a ported box, or a 12" ... there just really isn't enough room to play with, and still have a decent amt. of trunk space .....

Please let me know if you have any other questions ...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, the demand really isn't there ..... now if there were 40,000 + Sti owners, and half of them wanted subs, the other half wanted to go as far as 2 10's ... well, maybe we could do it ... then, you have the space problem, and a lot of subaru owners don't want to give up trunk space ... (I know, I am still one of them)

Your best bet would probably be to go to a local stereo shop and have one custom built for you ....

sorry I couldn't be of more help ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Need4Speed said:
Sorry .. there aren't any plans to make a ported box, or a 12" ... there just really isn't enough room to play with, and still have a decent amt. of trunk space .....

Please let me know if you have any other questions ...
Well, maybe there isn't enough demand for a group buy on enclosures for a 12", but could one be fabricated if I wanted it? Or, would you be willing to share you plans with me so maybe I could augment them and build one for my 12"?

I'm not too worried about the trunk space, just that I have an enclosure that looks OEM and is somewhat out of the way. The Dual Bandpass I have now is clunky.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Need4Speed,
Thats a nice looking box. A few questions...

What is the interior volume of the box?
What is it made of?
Is it routed out for flush mount of the woofer cage?
Any pics of the box without a speaker installed?
Does it have speaker wire terminals on it? What type?

Thanks,
BB

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: looking for opinions on this mod...

interior volume is appx .9 cu ft. the enclosure is made from 1/2" mdf, with the baffle being 3/4". woofer is countersunk 1/4". no pics without a speaker yet, but will after this weekend. terminal cup on back of box excepts up to 12ga wire. numerous pieces are CNC routered out, for exact fitment

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am very interested however, I worry about this box sliding around like my current box. How is this thing held down? I see you say "mounting screws". Where am I screwing into? Also, would this box still not move under the hard cornering of a track or autoX? Thanks very much. Looks like a great item!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Morning!

We will have tracking info today!

All of your boxes will be shipped by tomorrow morning.

The box is screwed down to you trunk, and yes, it would withstand auto-xing and such .... (I used to do it with my old wrx)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Need4Speed said:
Morning!

We will have tracking info today!

All of your boxes will be shipped by tomorrow morning.

The box is screwed down to you trunk, and yes, it would withstand auto-xing and such .... (I used to do it with my old wrx)
Need4Speed,
Thanks for the details on the box!
I was under the impression that this group buy would be open until Jan. 31st? Can we still order?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can still order!

Just email me and let me know ... it will be about Wednesday next week when shipping will start again!

Same price .....

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Brett

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, my box arrived in the mail Friday! Got installed last night. I would have to say that I am impressed with the work. I could not have done it better (or even that good) myself. It is worth the money.

So, is the box supposed to be secured? It seems as though the trunk hinge would hold it in place just fine. I would prefer this as it would be easier to remove if need be. Also, I really don't see the big deal with having the jack behind the box. If you need the jack, just slide the box out of the way... no harder than opening the little door to get to it.

What is the carriage bolt w/ washers and wing-nut for?? I can't figure out where this should go. I imagine it has something to do with puting the jack in w/ the spare tire.

Overall, I am very happy. I'm working on tuning it to the system now. My Alpine 9813 headunit has delays, so I'm trying to actually delay the fronts so the sub sounds arrive at the same time. Also, with the crossover settings, but I know that has to do with the fronts that I'm using. It does seem to be a very tight, sealed box. When you press in on the driver, it returns back out very slowly.

Just thought I'd let others that may be thinking about this box know how I felt after receiving mine. I guess I should take a picture of it and post it here!

Randy

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nopiston said:
Well, my box arrived in the mail Friday! Got installed last night. I would have to say that I am impressed with the work. I could not have done it better (or even that good) myself. It is worth the money.

So, is the box supposed to be secured? It seems as though the trunk hinge would hold it in place just fine. I would prefer this as it would be easier to remove if need be. Also, I really don't see the big deal with having the jack behind the box. If you need the jack, just slide the box out of the way... no harder than opening the little door to get to it.

What is the carriage bolt w/ washers and wing-nut for?? I can't figure out where this should go. I imagine it has something to do with puting the jack in w/ the spare tire.

Overall, I am very happy. I'm working on tuning it to the system now. My Alpine 9813 headunit has delays, so I'm trying to actually delay the fronts so the sub sounds arrive at the same time. Also, with the crossover settings, but I know that has to do with the fronts that I'm using. It does seem to be a very tight, sealed box. When you press in on the driver, it returns back out very slowly.

Just thought I'd let others that may be thinking about this box know how I felt after receiving mine. I guess I should take a picture of it and post it here!

Randy
Sounds great! ... Another way of mounting it would be to get some "industrial strength" velcro, I have heard of guys using that, and having it work, but you'd have to cut or fold your carpet back (the part that would normall go under the sub box) Mine is secured via 2 or three screws (to the bottom of the trunk) (we have actually removed the box 3 times now, and have re-used the same screw holes)

The trunk hinge isn't really meant to hold the box, that top panel isn't made for it, I'd had to see it break on you.

That wingnut bolt thingy is to take your jack out of the driver's side panel, and mount to the spare tire in the spare tire wheel well. You would remove the spare tire, put the bolt through, (with a washer on each side) then tighten a nut onto it, securing the bolt to the spare, then, you would slide the jact (lying sideways) on to the bolt, then use the wingnut to tighten it down.

Hopefully, this all helps, I'm glad you like the box!

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to email me.

Thanks,

[email protected]

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here's a shot of mine...

Got the delays, cross-over points, and levels just about set now. Actually anchoring the box to the car should help tighten the sound even more. (in theory :wink: )

Randy

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.