IW STi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so first thing is first. i was driving home from work on friday and noticed a very bad hesitation right before boost in my car, i mean it was bad, the car would bog and when boost came on it was laggy and just very crappy, it felt like i was towing something....BIG!!!!! anyhow then i put on the cruise and it felt like the car was jerking (similar to an automatic car falling in and out of overdrive if you have ever experienced that) so i thought ..crap. well i got home and removed my mafs to find it was very black and gummy. so i cleaned it with some brake cleaner and she was back to normal again!! i know there was a thread a while back about cleaning your mafs if you ran a typhoon...and here is proof....just check it if you havent!!!!!

second topic of the day...the ss autochrome fmic kit. ok so the kit wasnt for a subaru, it was for a 2g dsm that my nextdoor neighbor owns. but this isnt about that its about what i learned about the quality of these things. my first impression of the kit was...wow that thing is huge. the core of the kit is as big...if not bigger than the perrin fmic kit for our cars. all the piping is stainless steel with rolled lips to hold the couplers in place. it came with nice silicone couplers and it came with t-bolt clamps...yes t-bolt clamps. when i saw that i was impressed, my buddy paid 300 shipped for this kit and it came with t-bolt clamps, i paid 1100 for mine to get crappy screw clamps....ok anyway. the bar and plate design looked great and there was no damage, no ugly fins, no nothing, just a great looking fmic. some of the welds were a bit ugly, but they are all hidden behind the bumper fascia. so the install was a breeze and everything fit with the existing holes in the frame for mounting and only minimal trimming was needed to fit the front bumper. we got everything tight and went for a drive. now here is where i thought he would be dissapointed. he is running a ported t28, turboback, evo injectors, walbro pump, shep tranny etc....well his turbo isnt that big so i expected lag....nope!!!! the car felt much faster....he was able to turn his boost up to 18 lbs without fuel cut (this is an untuned car his dsm link hasnt came in yet) and the whole powerband was much smoother. well we got out and checked for any leaks etc and i decided to check the endtank temps with the ol "hand thermometer" the inlet side of the core was HOT...i couldnt hold on to it much longer than 2 seconds...the outlet side was ice cold. you could feel the tempature drop across the entire intercooler. the whole cold pipe was cold...even at the throttle body!!! this was amazing to me. now you have read all this and by now are prolly thinking im going to tell eveyone they are great and to go get one...nope thats not me. all this thread was for was to anwser some of the questions people may have (including myself) about this kit. now i know it wasnt really tested on the dyno or anything and it wasnt on an STi. but to me the thing preformed flawlessly. to me his car feels better, i felt the endtanks and know the temp change...thats all i know. am i going to buy one of these intercoolers...no because i already have a perrin....but maybe this little bit of info will help someone who is debating on trying their fmic kit give it a whirl. for 300 dollars shipped to your door, i think its a pretty good deal for someone who wants a fmic and is on a budget. anyway let me know what you think.

-corey

and p.s./..................clean your maf:tup:

·
Registered
181 Posts
ImprezivSTi04 said:
ok so first thing is first. i was driving home from work on friday and noticed a very bad hesitation right before boost in my car, i mean it was bad, the car would bog and when boost came on it was laggy and just very crappy, it felt like i was towing something....BIG!!!!! anyhow then i put on the cruise and it felt like the car was jerking (similar to an automatic car falling in and out of overdrive if you have ever experienced that) so i thought ..crap. well i got home and removed my mafs to find it was very black and gummy. so i cleaned it with some brake cleaner and she was back to normal again!! i know there was a thread a while back about cleaning your mafs if you ran a typhoon...and here is proof....just check it if you havent!!!!!

second topic of the day...the ss autochrome fmic kit. ok so the kit wasnt for a subaru, it was for a 2g dsm that my nextdoor neighbor owns. but this isnt about that its about what i learned about the quality of these things. my first impression of the kit was...wow that thing is huge. the core of the kit is as big...if not bigger than the perrin fmic kit for our cars. all the piping is stainless steel with rolled lips to hold the couplers in place. it came with nice silicone couplers and it came with t-bolt clamps...yes t-bolt clamps. when i saw that i was impressed, my buddy paid 300 shipped for this kit and it came with t-bolt clamps, i paid 1100 for mine to get crappy screw clamps....ok anyway. the bar and plate design looked great and there was no damage, no ugly fins, no nothing, just a great looking fmic. some of the welds were a bit ugly, but they are all hidden behind the bumper fascia. so the install was a breeze and everything fit with the existing holes in the frame for mounting and only minimal trimming was needed to fit the front bumper. we got everything tight and went for a drive. now here is where i thought he would be dissapointed. he is running a ported t28, turboback, evo injectors, walbro pump, shep tranny etc....well his turbo isnt that big so i expected lag....nope!!!! the car felt much faster....he was able to turn his boost up to 18 lbs without fuel cut (this is an untuned car his dsm link hasnt came in yet) and the whole powerband was much smoother. well we got out and checked for any leaks etc and i decided to check the endtank temps with the ol "hand thermometer" the inlet side of the core was HOT...i couldnt hold on to it much longer than 2 seconds...the outlet side was ice cold. you could feel the tempature drop across the entire intercooler. the whole cold pipe was cold...even at the throttle body!!! this was amazing to me. now you have read all this and by now are prolly thinking im going to tell eveyone they are great and to go get one...nope thats not me. all this thread was for was to anwser some of the questions people may have (including myself) about this kit. now i know it wasnt really tested on the dyno or anything and it wasnt on an STi. but to me the thing preformed flawlessly. to me his car feels better, i felt the endtanks and know the temp change...thats all i know. am i going to buy one of these intercoolers...no because i already have a perrin....but maybe this little bit of info will help someone who is debating on trying their fmic kit give it a whirl. for 300 dollars shipped to your door, i think its a pretty good deal for someone who wants a fmic and is on a budget. anyway let me know what you think.

-corey

and p.s./..................clean your maf:tup:

yeah man, they have a thread thats alomost 40 pages long about that FMIC on Nasioc. its a GREAT FMIC from the reviews and its only like $400 for the subaru. its on my list thats for sure!

oh and ill go check my maf, lol :tup:

-Taylor

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I'm loving my xspower fmic. Great deal, no problems. I know of one other local person (pt518sti) running this IC on his 20g STI, and a friend of mine is running an xspower fmic on his 600whp+ 3000gt. The rest of their products are total garbage, but the IC's are high quality.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I got one of the SS Autochrome (XSPower) FMIC's too. Great kit! I was pretty impressed with all the parts that came with it for $378 shipped. I still have to install it. The lowest I've seen them is $358 shipped and thats off of ebay when you're the only bidder for $300 plus the $58 shipping.

Great review! :)

Oh... and I'll clean my MAF... :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts