IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On that topic: 93+ Octane in Portand Area?

Did a search, but did not find anything. Reading about all these 6k launches, I'm wondering how much abuse the STi can take at the track. Looks like they hold up well so far, but I always figured these cars where better suited for road racing. Any thoughts or weak links? Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Expect a clutch replacement at 30K miles with hard lanches. The new "break-away" rear axles are probably going to save %100 of the 6MT gears at the expense of an axle.

6MT is twice the tranny the suby 5MT ever was and 1.5 times the EVO tranny.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. By the way, how much do the 'break-away' axles cost to replace? I'd rather break that instead of some of the other, pricier alternatives. :D

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
wgknestrick said:
Expect a clutch replacement at 30K miles with hard lanches. The new "break-away" rear axles are probably going to save %100 of the 6MT gears at the expense of an axle.

6MT is twice the tranny the suby 5MT ever was and 1.5 times the EVO tranny.

I think you mean 1.5 times the suby 5mt and twice the Evo tranny. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sti test drive (by a GC8 owner)

A little info on the axles and drag racing...

I have an intake, tbe, and mbc as my only mods. Snapped the drivers rear axle at the track on my 3rd run. No wheel hop either. Admittedly it was a cool Friday night (sticky track) and I left the line pretty hard (1.71 60' on first run). I think it spun for a split second, then dead hooked and snapped.

New axles from Subaru are $300 for the shaft only and $360 for the complete unit with CV joints.

The kit shown on the Driveshaft Shop website is for the regualar WRX only, not the STI. I sent my broken shaft to them and they said the joints are of great quality and the shaft is junk. They are going to stress relieve the joints and install new better shafts. I'm sure a kit will be available soon.

I considered using stock shafts to keep the weak point there instead of something more expensive, but I have plans to add more power so I just couldnt put the same shafts back in. We will see...

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
My question is always that... how come everyone thinks the tranny is going ot break if you beef up the Axels and whatnot? Granted they are there to break first, but i mean then what... never race it? or just race it and break your axels every other time you go to the track? I mean no one has tried beefing up the driveline and seeing if the 6MT can take it and I'd like to think that, as long as you're not droppin in new turbos and such launching a 450whp car @ the track, you'd be perfectly fine with just "BPU" mods. So just let me know what you think about hat. Granted I'd like to just replace the axel too, but after a while.. those $360 start to add up. Especially since the track scottinal is talking about is the one in huntsville (i believe).

Robert~

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are right Robert, it is the track in Huntsville. I just talked to The Driveshaft Shop and my upgraded axles are going to ship back to me on Monday. :D They said I should be good to 800+HP now for the rear axles. I have no plans of ever getting near that. Like you said, what was I to do, not race it anymore?....Not an option for me.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
ya i mean tahst rediculous... I dont ever hear about WRXs upgrading their trannys and such **please understand I know people do it, but I dont read much about it, nor do I know of ONE person who has done it...**, yet they can launch their cars that have just as much hp as some of our STis.... then people claim our tranny is 2-3x better? How is that if we cant even trust it to handle the power of a TBE and a manual boost controller? I mean, that to ME, doesnt make any sense. Yet the theory is good (if something breaks, you build it up better, something else connected might break), but whos the say the tranny isnt able to handle 400-600 hp if its 2-3x better then the wrx tranny? Im not criticizing anyone, but it makes it sound like your 100% behind the tranny, but then scared its going to break all in the same theory and that is just really confusing to me.

Robert~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts