IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 08 STI for less than 2 months when it decided to chew a big end bearing, so the build begins.

Engine work to be done, scat billtet crank, scat h beam rods, JE forged pistons, chromoly rings, moroso pickup, acl race bearings, cometic head gaskets, 11mm sti oil pump, ARP crank case stud kit, ARP head stud kit, Thinking of doing head porting and maybe cams?? is it worth it

Other work to be done will be precison bolt on turbo, 1000cc injectors, walbro fuel pump, sorting out my own front mount and intercooler piping. full turbo back exhaust, headers and up pipe.

Tuning will be open source tune.

Anything that should be changed or any advice is welcome? all engine parts have been purchsed and front mount has been put on aswell.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Had my 08 STI for less than 2 months when it decided to chew a big end bearing, so the build begins.

Engine work to be done, scat billtet crank, scat h beam rods, JE forged pistons, chromoly rings, moroso pickup, acl race bearings, cometic head gaskets, 11mm sti oil pump, ARP crank case stud kit, ARP head stud kit, Thinking of doing head porting and maybe cams?? is it worth it

Other work to be done will be precison bolt on turbo, 1000cc injectors, walbro fuel pump, sorting out my own front mount and intercooler piping. full turbo back exhaust, headers and up pipe.

Tuning will be open source tune.

Anything that should be changed or any advice is welcome? all engine parts have been purchsed and front mount has been put on aswell.
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/built-motor-discussion/268391-faq-how-much-would-upgraded-cams-pnp-heads-bigger-valves-benefit-me.html

Get OEM headgaskets, they are better and more reliable than cometic. The $350 OEM crank is good for 1000HP so no need to upgrade that. Get Manley H-tuffs and turbotuff pistons which should be good for 650whp. If you want 700-800whp then get Manley turbotuff I-beams. You will also need additional block reinforcement in the form of closed deck if you want >650whp. Get EL headers. You'll need to upsize injectors to 1300cc if you are going to do headwork. I don't know how much the Moroso pickup costs but KillerB's pickup is only $150 and just as reliable, if not more. ARP2000 are good for 30psi, you'll need ARP625 if you want to do E85 and push more than 650whp. External wastegate offers better boost control and more power if you want to look into that.

Most importantly invest in oil pressure, fuel pressure, and A/F gauges. Oil pressure for sure if you want to avoid another spun bearing. Check your oil often and do oil analyses to see any abnormal bearing wear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I live in Australia so my replies are a little late, All my engine parts have been ordered and payed for so I can't change what I'm using, trying to aim for a setup that runs a low boost around 20psi but still makes power. So trying to give it as much help as possible. Ie head porting and cams and headers and up pipes! I have come to the conclusion it wasn't due to oil pressure that my motor went bang. Putting it down to the fact of no.3 cylinder leaned out due to fuel setup in series! Will be changing to parallel setup with fuel pressure reg to make sure of even fuel delivery

FAQ post helped heaps, dyno graphs were great thanks. Really helpful

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So update on the Build its been a while, made my own custom front mount kit, dw1000cc injectors, dw fuel rails, dw265lph fuel pump, custom fuel system -6 braided line and aeroflow fitting with fast fuel regulator, custom intake, precision bolt on turbo, x force turbo back exhaust system, tomes uel headers and up pipe. Billet crank, studed block and heads, cosmetic head gaskets, h beam rods, chromoly rings... Didn't end up going head work or cams wanting boost to come on as early as possible... Bit of tidying up to do and powder coating to be done

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got it running last night, have to sort out a exhaust leak coming from turbo up pipe and then load in base tune then will take it down to the Dyno and then get some power out of it... Aiming for 400 whp that's the goal

·
Registered
310 Posts
Good luck with the tune. I agree with User1029's comments. I originally read the comment and only just checked the user name....no wonder I agree. He has an awesome car that has been extremely reliable given the hp that it is putting out.

Your crank and rods are overdone but won't cause any issues other than taking up cash that could have been spent on the heads.

Are you going e85? Put in some bigger injectors and have some fun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soooo my timing belt tensioner failed from sitting around for so long, valves touched and now heads are back off. My string of bad luck continues.... Just ordered bc cams, Ferrara valve springs ,retainers and valves. Will be pnp heads and back together soon! Little annoyed but this problem has its benefits... More power! With all these mods what should I be expecting? What boost should I run? Anything else I should do while the engine is back out? Any help advice is appreciated?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And I won't be going e85 unfortunately until a few more available places, there is one place and it's about 100km away to fill up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts