IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1377 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Re: 2008 JDM Sti - Brake Upgrade Needed to avoid Death

Brake upgrade suggestions needed urgently, had a severe case of brake fade on the weekend, which lead to the handbrake being used, spining out and going backwards through a busy main road intersection....:eek: :eek: :eek:

Fortunately no damage to car apart from a minor wheel curb scrap, and wheels out of alignment and managed to miss all cars. :tup:
I have a set of Alcon Extreme Advantage 365mm 6 potF and 343mm 4 pot rear for sale if interested.
Alcon ds street pads and Pagid Rs29 for track.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Re: 2008 JDM Sti - Brake Upgrade Needed to avoid Death

I have a set of Alcon Extreme Advantage 365mm 6 potF and 343mm 4 pot rear for sale if interested.
Alcon ds street pads and Pagid Rs29 for track.
I think the freight to New Zealand may kill the price... ;) Will look up those brands:)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Re: 2008 JDM Sti - EFR7670 - Turbo Bog/Flutter issue

I am having an issue under when I first go under boost at about 4000rpm when the turbo just makes a big fluttering noise, boost goes up and the car goes nowhere....

Anyone know what this could be?

Under hard acceleration it gets past this boggy flutter stage after a few seconds, then goes into full boost and pretty much like normal.

Wondering whether the cold temperature around (5 deg C) 41 degrees Fahrenheit would have something to do with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Re: 2008 JDM Sti - EFR7670 - Turbo Bog/Flutter issue

It is either an exhaust or boost leak, it blew the turbo heat cover off, otherwise it may be the wastegate... getting to checked out on Wednesday... grrr i hate all these issues :(, although the joy i get from the car makes up for it for sure. :D

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Re: 2008 JDM Sti - Built EFR7670 - 401whp 329wtq For Now...

Issue was a misfiring spark plug, thankfully not major, still had a big effect on the car.

Got the Brakes Pads, Fluid done and the Rotas shimmed when it was getting checked.

Motul Dot 5.1 Brake Fluid
Endless MX72 Front and Rear Pads

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Re: 2008 JDM Sti - New EMTRON Ecu has arrived!

New Emtron ECU has finally arrived.

It is a direct plugin replacement to the factory ECU for 2008 onwards 2L and 2.5L Sti's

Emtron Engine Management

Designed by Scott Kuhner, tuner of the Tilton Interiors WTAC Evo.

It isn't being released to the public until Sema in November, but i managed to get hold of one of the 5 pre-release models.

Being installed by my tuner right now.... >500whp here we come :D:lol:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Re: 2008 JDM Sti - >500whp New EMTRON Ecu has arrived!

Emtron only arrived today, with the developers coming with it to the tuners to give them a run down on how it works, so will be installed tomorrow and hopefully have some numbers by Friday.

In the meantime, here is an inspirational picture of the RCM Gobstopper 2. My ej20 dream car!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

^ The version 1 (my favourite) was an EJ20, but I thought they were testing 2.5l engines similar to this:
Roger Clark Motorsport - RCM Product Detail

I am also curious to know if they use any reinforcement?
Love the version 1 too so raw in performance.

It is an ej20 in the Gobstopper 2...

Read this article by Speedhunters

Gobstopper 2: The Ultimate Impreza | Speedhunters

This is winning UK timeattack and they have only just started using a little nitrous.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

^ Thanks.

Any pic from the ECU?
Not yet, its getting installed in Pukekohe, which is about 3hrs from where i live, so can't exactly call past, will take some when i pick the car back up.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Re: 2008 JDM Sti - Emtron Tuning

Still Tuning car with Emtron ECU, having fuelling issues, so they are replacing the fuel pressure regulator, they hope to finish early next week now.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Re: 2008 JDM Sti - Handling Upgrade Suggestions needed!

Tuning went well today with the new fuel pressure regulator, big power runs will be done on Monday with tuning to be completed.

Soo....... what next....? Need to improve my handling package.

I have Whiteline Swaybars...

Should I get Coilovers or RS front and rear diffs?

Or is there something else I should be doing first?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Re: 2008 JDM Sti - Handling Upgrade Suggestions needed!

Tuning went well today with the new fuel pressure regulator, big power runs will be done on Monday with tuning to be completed.

Soo....... what next....? Need to improve my handling package.

I have Whiteline Swaybars...

Should I get Coilovers or RS front and rear diffs?

Or is there something else I should be doing first?
Bushings+coil overs+sways together ideally as they work together. Next step is arms and braces.

Diff as your last step imo.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Re: 2008 JDM Sti - Emission Control Removal

Quick Update:

Car is still in the process of being tuned.

Based on the tuners own car which has an identical motor, with only differences being custom intake manifold, slightly larger cams and 3.5" exhaust (603whp on E85, 523whp on 98) The Tuner said my car should be capable of 470-500whp.

It got on the Dyno last week for initial tuning with the Emtron ECU.

275 kw atw (369whp) @ 22psi
300 kw atw (402whp) @ 24psi

The factory MAP sensor didn't seem to want to go higher than 24psi, so an external MAP sensor was fitted.

Other issues could possibly have been the exhaust or the intake manifold.

So tuner has modified the Intake Manifold to have more space in the Plenum to make it capable of handling higher psi (up to 30psi) and tune more of the timing.

Exhaust was not a restriction.

Back on the Dyno last night only got 325kw atw (435whp) - not sure of psi.

Tuner was seeing some weird numbers coming up on the tuning graphs, so the only other thing they could think of that is different form his car is the emission control system.

Sooo.... this was all removed today and car is waiting for another go on the dyno when it is free... :confused:

Would love some help on what other things the issues could be... PLEASE :)

41 - 60 of 1377 Posts