IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - need some help/advice...

Car - 77k mile Hawkeye STI - very well cared for LA car (no rust/salt issues), mostly commuter car miles, not thrashed, stock suspension.

Issue - notice at low speeds, over larger deflections, front and rear suspension will groan/squeal when compressed, both on driver side only ... most noticeable and pretty loud over dips in the road, some speed bumps. Car does not make these noises when driven at pace, or when pushing on the car when it is still, only notice when moving at slow pace and over good size deflections.

Read various threads, took car to shop, asked them to grease the front and rear sway bar bushings. Shop reported that the bushings look good, not torn or dried out.

Result is that rear end groan is gone (good), but front end groan still there, maybe even more prominent (bad!!!).

Questions:

1) What should I try next? Grease the driver side top mount where spring and strut connect?

2) Replace left front strut?

Hate to spend more money than I need to... car rides well, handles well, dampers seem to damp body motions well...does not feel like suspension is shot.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Have you checked the sway bar end-links?

I wouldn't replace anything before positively isolating the squeak to that part first. you could check your various joints for play/wear. It could be any number of bushings, but its going to be hard to diagnose that unless you can replicate the noise while parked and have a second person listening in to find the source.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have an 07 with the same thing going on and I am suspecting the top hats are getting tired. I also noticed after the engine bay warms up the sound goes away because the rubber tops are getting soft. It happens over speed bumps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts