IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well here goes it! Journal Time.

Not new to IWSTI or the Subaru STi community. I'm the previous owner of a 2006 OBP STi. I've just traded that bad boy in for a new 2008 OBP STi. I'll be updating regularly with new mods and pics and stories. I'll also include some pictures of some previously owned cars. Keep checking for updates and enjoy.

I bought the GRB STi on November 16, 2008 from Stohlman Subaru of Tysons in Vienna, VA. It was a total spur of the moment, impulse buy. My wife of all people informed me of the $7000/0% for 63 month incentive deal on the new STi. I had been toying with the idea of getting a new car for a few months because I usually get bored with my vehicle after a few years. So I drove over in my 06 to see if they had anything I liked. I had originally intended on buying an Aspen White or WRB. I told myself that I had enough of the nightmare of keeping a black car clean. Well they had 2 AW STis, one Gold BBS/NAV and another base package. I loved the premium package, however I noticed that the plastic part of the hood scoop was a different shade of white than the rest of the hood. The base package AW had the same problem, and the sales guy told me that it was typical of the AWs. Well there goes that. On to the WRB they had one, non BBS and it was parked next to a OBP. Well looking at them side by side I couldn't help but fall in love with the OBP AGAIN! The black just speaks to me. So I was really happy with the trade in value they gave me on the 06, I only had 21000 miles on it, no accidents, and hella clean. Went next door to the Mitsubishi dealer to check out the new EVO, just to keep an open mind and have an option. Well that dealer has a no test drive policy which prompts my go to hell policy. I even talked to the manager and told him that I was about to purchase the STi and I had my vehicle already appraised and I wasn't out for a joy ride. He refused to make an exception for a serious possible customer so he's a complete douche! In fact, when I bought my 06 I tried the same tactic and was refused then and ended up with the STi. Chalk up 2 lost sales for Mitsubishi for being douche bags. Well I wasn't too impressed with the EVO anyways, I liked the aggressive looks but the interior is way too cheap to justify a $40,000 price tag. So I did the paper work shuffle, got the dealer to throw in 2 years free maintenance package and drove my new toy home. 2008 OBP STi Non BBS, STi Short Shift package, 55mi. :D

Whats happening now:

Dec 14th 2008:
-996 miles on the ODO just about done with the engine break-in. :D
-Cobb AP V2 in the mail, expecting it this week. (V1 trade-in program off 06)CobbTuning.com - AccessPORT Trade In Program
-Grillcraft Grills Upper/Lower/Scoop waiting to get put on, from Mach V Subaru WRX Performance Upgrade Parts - Mach V Motorsports
-Hella Super tones waiting to get put on. (Off 06)
-Kartboy Front/Rear Shifter Bushings waiting to get put on, from Mach V
-105mm HALO Angeleyes in the mail, from Lightwerkz HID Projector Headlight Retrofit for Subaru, Honda, BMW, Scion and More | LightWerkz.net

Current Mods:
Air Intake Silencer Delete
Grillcraft Grills Upper/Lower
Hella Stealthtones
Upper Grill Paint
De-badge
Cobb AP Stage 1
HALO Angeleyes
Amber delete
Grillcraft Hood Scoop Grill (waiting to install)
SOA Exhaust Garnish (waiting to install)

Future Mods:
Invidia Catted DP
P&L Quadtip Exhaust
AEM CAI
Grimmspeed PnPnC headers/up-pipe/Intake manifold
Grimmspeed Phelonic spacers
Grimmspeed TGV Deletes
AP Protune
BC Racing BR 8k/8k Coilovers
Whiteline 22mm Front/Back Sways and endlinks

My 2006 OBP STi Post#3
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2207792-post3.html

My 2001 Ford SVT Lightning Post#4
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2207798-post4.html

Grillcraft grills/Hella Stealthtones/De-badge Post#18
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2236626-post18.html

HALO Angeleye Pics Post#19
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2236632-post19.html

Exhaust Trim Pics Post#21
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2237785-post21.html

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 06STIlin's 2008 OBP STIi's Journal

Reserved

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

2006 OBP STi / Sliver BBS (Traded-in)
Cobb AP Stage 2
Invidia V3 DP *Z-1 Performance Z-1 Performance Automotive Services Inc.
HKS Carbon Ti *Z-1 Performance
Turbo XS BOV
Tanabe DF Springs
HPS Brake Pads *Mach V Subaru WRX Performance Upgrade Parts - Mach V Motorsports
Kartboy Shortshifter *Mach V
Kartboy Front/Rear Shifter Bushings *Mach V
Grillcraft Grills Upper/Lower *Mach V
Hella Supertones *JnJ Associates JnJAssociates - Products for the Automotive Enthusiast - Homepage
K&N Drop-in Filter *Mach V
Intake Silencer Delete
De-badged
Blacked out Headlights
Interior Painted Textured Flat Black
Flat Black A/C Control Decals *GraphicSTI http://www.iwsti.com/forums/members/14288.html

A few pictures of my 2006 OBP STi

Here is the link for my old car that is currently for sale by the Subaru Dealership I traded it in at.

Stohlman Subaru, Vienna, Virginia, The SE region's largest seller of B9 Tribeca, Forester, Impreza, Legacy, Outback and Baja

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

My 2001 Ford SVT Lightning!
I loved this truck!

2" Drop
Borla Exhaust
Custom Chrome Grill Upper/Lower
Boyd Coddington Wheels *RIP Boyd*
Custom Rockford Fosgate Stereo Install

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Nice car the 06 looks pretty clean , was it hard to give it away ?
Very hard...I think its called buyers remorse! Its hard to go from a modded STi to a stock anything. I just need to get the new car up to snuff and it should be quite fun to drive!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

FINALLY!!!! :evilbanan

Time to do bad things! :devil:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts

Nice, congrats!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

LOOK WHAT I GOT TODAY!

Angeleyes courtesy of Caesar form Lightwerkz.net

Cobb AccessPORT V2 Already gone Stage1!!!!

DADDY LIKE!!!! :devil:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Initial Driving Impressions (plus a little Rant!)

My initial impressions when driving the GRB STi were not that great. Keep in mind, as I try to, that my comparison is based upon my 2006 STi Stage 2 that was traded in, and I'm schlepping around in "I Drive". Although not heavily modified, the 2006 was considerably fast, as anyone who has gone Stage 2 knows. So obviously I knew that the Stock STi was going to be different. I just wasn't expecting it to be THAT different! The steering was really ummmmm....soft? I think that is the best way to describe it, it didn't feel as tight or direct as the 06's steering. Another noticeable difference was in the clutch play, very soft and it was hard to get a good idea of when the clutch was engaging. I expected that with time the clutch will stiffen up a bit and I would get used to it. Overall the ride comfort has improved drastically, and I suppose a pretty fair description of the 08 STi would be comfortable. Almost all aspects of the 08 is more refined, the interior styling, seats, steering input, suspension feel, and exhaust note.

*Warning Rant to follow!*

Although it is nice to have the comfort I don't think that the STi was ever intended to be comfy, luxury sedan/hatch/whatever. After all it is the street version of the rally car. I can specifically recall the early models of the STi and Evolution (I owned a Evolution II) as being bare bones road beasts without power windows, sound deadening under the carpet, heat insulation in the fire wall, airbags, and the bumpers didn't have impact beams or foam. They were just plain fun to drive but just not for a very long time, especially in traffic, but that was the deal when buying one. You knew what you were getting, a bare knuckle streetfighter, and you were happy with it.

I must admit, I'm turning 32 this April and I'm probably a little greatfull for the comfort at this point but I'm just a little disappointed at the progression of both cars. They STi and Evolution are tame, housebroken versions of the feral animals they once were.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Driving Impressions 1Kmi and AP Stage 1 93

So I've just passed the 1000 mile milestone, hahaha get it?:eek2:

Over the course of the break-in, my views on the 2008 STi have changed quite a bit. I must admit that the car has grow on me. The fun factor has bumped up midway through the break-in process once I was driving over 4k rpm, and venturing out of "I Drive." I am pleased to feel the actual power potential of the car. The clutch has adjusted as expected and I've grown used to the hill assist.

I've read the threads on the purpose of the Smart Drive stuff and I understand what it does or is supposed to do. The feel of switching from S to S# in mid acceleration defies a mere change in torque. The switch feels like liberation, freeing the car to do what it is it naturally wants to do, almost as if the other drive settings are restrictive. The throttle response and turbo spool feel more instantaneous, like walking onto one of those escalating walkways at the airport.

I've also installed the Cobb AP Stage 1 93 Map. I cannot tell much of a difference in "S" mode, and I haven't touched "I" since 500mi. S# is a whole different animal now! Its amazing how much of a difference stage one has made. I love driving the car now and look for any chance to let the tiger out of the cage! The stock to Stage 1 difference is a welcomed change, and I was very curious to see what difference Stage 1 would make. I didn't go through the same process with my 06, I bought it used with 5k on it and it already had a TBE with the CEL fix and no Cobb. I didn't know much about subbies back then but I joined the forums and read up, and quickly went straight to Stage 2. Overall I am very pleased with the new V2 Cobb and its many great features. O would definately recomend the AP as a first Mod for any new owner. Worth every penny!

Next up.....De-badge, Upper/Lower/Scoop Grill inserts and paint, Amber delete, Angeleyes, Hella Supertones, and Silencer Delete.....and PICS! Yeah all in one big Install Day!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Well I'm in a bit of a bad mood!

I was reading through Ben's Journal specifically the part about his problem with the engine and the whole circus act of the ECU flash fix from SOA and the stop sale.

Well this made me pretty curious, I wondered if my vehicle received the fix. Mind you that I purchased the car on the 16th of November.... last month. I made it a point to ask the dealer about the stop sale issues and if the car had gone through the procedures to fix the issue. They assured me that all the requirements were filled and the car was fine. Well I created a mysubaru account and the maintenance history tells me something different. According to mysubaru, the WVE15/Engine Control Module Reprogramming procedure has not been done on my car!

Right now I haven't experienced any issues but I haven't driven hard at all. What is really eating at me is the fact that I was lied to by the dealer. It was their responsibility to fix and they sold me a car with an engine that could have failed! I probably should have checked and double checked and had them produce paperwork showing the fix, but to be all honest this is my first time buying a new car and dealing with the stealerships.

Is there any laws or policies that protect the consumer from shady dealings such as this?

I feel as if I should go to the dealership and lay it on them! Any suggestions as to what I can/should do?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Re: 06STIlin's 2008 OBP STIi's Journal *Update Insall day tomorrow 12/27/08*

Installed the Angeleyes, Hellas (stealthtones hahaha), Grillcraft grills, and did the intake silencer delete, and DRL delete, and painted the center grill Satin Black. Took me all day!

Will post pics soon, after I clean her up a bit! Bought some Eco Touch waterless car wash since I live in a appartment and have no acces to a hose. Will do the before and afters and comment on the product.

*EDIT* The "ECO Touch" is a severe PITA! Might be a little more tolerable of a process with a rotary buffer. I used a California duster beforehand to get rid of all the loose dirt because I was scared of scratching the paint. I applied the wash and followed the directions....I stopped half way through due to not being able to move my shoulder any more. It doesn't look too bad but for all the effort it takes, I'd rather find another alternative!

·
Registered
62 Posts

Def get them to do the WVE15 asap. Might also be a good idea to unmarry your Cobb AP before you go.

It's pretty funny. I was there the same day as you(pretty sure I saw your car at the Mitsubishi lot) that weekend. On the 17th of November I bought the AW base STI. I was also looking at red and blue 08's from Sheehy in Springfield.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Def get them to do the WVE15 asap. Might also be a good idea to unmarry your Cobb AP before you go.

It's pretty funny. I was there the same day as you(pretty sure I saw your car at the Mitsubishi lot) that weekend. On the 17th of November I bought the AW base STI. I was also looking at red and blue 08's from Sheehy in Springfield.
Haha that is pretty funny! I was originally looking at the AW Nav/BBS but I noticed the hood scoop was discolored from the rest of the car and that kinda put me off the AW.

I had the WVE15 done last week along with a 1000mi oil change, I was more upset that they would sell me the car without having the work done to it already, even after I asked them about it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

Install Pics!

First up is the Hellas that I pulled off my 06. I wanted to keep a clean black look so I opted to paint the red grills of the horns Satin Black. Kept the wiring as clean as I could.

I also installed the Upper and Lower Grillcraft Grills, and painted the upper grill surrounds Satin Black. You can almost see the Hellas back there!

I also de-badged everything in the rear except the "STi" badge. Looks much cleaner. Used a hair dryer and floss to pull the badges off, and to minimize any swirls of scratching I just used good ol' elbow grease and thumbs to get the rest of the adhesive off. Got a nice blister for all my hard work, but no scratches! :D

Some more pics after a good wash and wax.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

More Pics!

I installed the Halo "Angeleyes" I picked up from Lightwerkz.net, thanks Caesar! Got a great deal from them and the install was pretty easy after following Spaceman's "How-to", a big shout out to him for great step by step instructions. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/133095-diy-angel-eyes-2008-wrx-sti.html

I also blacked out the amber reflectors with some Krylon gloss black for plastic. Waiting on the Chrome covered amber blinking signal bulbs. They should be here today actually. Will get more pics when I get those in along with the SOA Exhaust shrouds I picked up today.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: 06STIlin's 2008 OBP *Update New PICS!*

Just playing around with GIMP an application similar to photoshop but free!:D What do you think?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts