IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a little late starting my journal, but my car has some other threads so I'll just link to those in the beginning.

Initial purchase/brand new pics:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31120

First big wash/polish/wax with Rejex pics:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32884

Now for the fun stuff, the mods and accessories!!
First up, tint & Rockblocker!!

I went up to Maryland on Oct. 15 to meet Lee of Applied Film Technologies. He came highly recommended for installing Rockblockers and came down from NJ to do the install for a couple people. I got him to do tint as well for my car. It was well worth the 140 mile drive, he does great work.

Here's the tint 35% all around, before/after.

Note here, the Rockblocker IS installed! Those with really sharp eyes and good computer monitors may see a hairline on the fender, about 8 inches behind the headlight on the crease in the fender.

continued....

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I have a feeling my car is going to be stuck in the garage for the better half of this week!!

*118 dB Hella Supertone horns
*Defi Amber BF Imperial gauges (boost, oil pressure, egt)
*Fumoto oil drain valve
*JDM red hazard button
*Goodridge Stainless brake lines
*Rally Armor mud flaps

1) Snorkus delete mod:
I had originally intended to remove the intake silencer and be done with it, but I decided to stop by Home Depot Motorsports and see if they had anything I could use to connect the ram air duct directly to the filter box. The best i fuond was a gutter adapter that goes from 4"x2.5" to 3" pipe. I did some creative cutting and I think it will work well to isolate the intake from the engine bay.

The stock snorkus gasket has an inside diameter of about 2.5", so I removed it. The snorkus itself has an ID of 2 7/8 inches. My new connector fills the hole in the intake box and has an ID of about 3.25".

Here's a look from the fender well. I cut one side of the rectangular part off and it will face the ram air duct. Should help to collect some cold air.

Here's how it looks with the air box installed. Not a bad fit!!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats Behind The Mask?!?!?!

While I had the fender well open, I decided to pull off a few more pieces...

OH NO!!!

AAAAARRRRRRRR!!!!

Why am I tearing the front end up?? Here's why!! 118dB of audible HELL-A!!

I'm going to remove the whole front bumper and install the horns. Then I'm gonna fabricate a piece of extruded steel to protect the A/C condensor. The night I brought my car home a rock hit the condensor and bent some of the fins, so I'm gonna put an end to that. I'll do the hood scoop grill while I'm at it.

·
Premium Member
5,267 Posts
Nice mods so far, those horns are gonna scare people off the road!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Looks sweet!

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Are you going to clear your lenses?

·
Registered
477 Posts
very nice

Are You thinking to make a mesh grille for the lowr front ? I`m looking for some plastic ionsert that I could fit in there but no luck yet

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want to clear my lenses, but I do not want to be the first to do it... if you know what I mean...

I am going to make a mesh grill for the lower part of the bumper. I bought some of the mesh from home depot today, I think it's actually plaster reinforcing. I also got some Plasti-Dip that I'm going to try to use to coat the cut edges, maybe... and some flat black paint to try to hide the mesh as much as possible.

The horn install is taking much longer that I expected. I took a long time trying to decide the best placement of the horns, the best way to wire them, and the best way to fab up some brackets.

I put an amp-meter on the stock horns and measured peak current of 2.12A on one horn, the Hellas drew a peak of about 9A together, so I played it safe and ran some 14ga wire for them. I left the stock horn wires in place, but removed the horn and the stock relay. I made a jumper to go from the stock relay socket so I could connect the horn button to the Hella relay. I also used another jumper from the stock relay coil power because it is fused already.

Here's the car with the bumper removed:

And the bumper resting on the ass of my '69 Camaro...

Here are the brackets I fabbed up and ended up using. They are the 3rd iteration of brackets I made and I'm pretty satisfied with them. They're made from 1/16" aluminum angle bar. I cut and bent the bar, then soldered with some of that "as seen on TV" aluminum solder stick. I'm pretty surprised at how well it works. The short piece in the photo is a test piece I made, cut and bent to make a 45 degree angle, soldered, and then tried to smash flat in the vice... As you can see, the piece crushed, but the solder did not break!! Impressive!!

Here's about how its looking now:

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Nice job

·
Registered
993 Posts
your def. going to be heard in traffic now. nice project

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finished Grill guard

I finished up the grill guard thursday night, painted it friday and installed friday night. I think it looks pretty good, actually it's fairly inconspicuous, which is what I was hoping for. Here are some pics of the fabrication.

Home brew bending brake!! haha

Fitting up and bending:

From the front:

Cut to size:

Painted flat black:

Here's why all the trouble... A rock hit my A/C condensor the very night I brought my car home from the dealer. Never again hopefully...

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Supertones installed

It's dark out now so my camera won't take the best pics, but here are some preliminary shots... I am very happy with the way the supertones look, and they are retarded loud! The install came out symetrical to within about 1/8" max difference, which makes the obsessive compulsive part of me satisfied!!

Notice the grill guard and new vanity plate too! (thats for the SUV driving, cell phone talking, left lane riding, soccer moms that get the wrath of the HELLAs!!!

Rally armor installed! The flaps scrape when I enter/exit my driveway :( . There's no vertical adjustment, so I'll just have to let them wear down...:notsure:

Daytime pics to come...

Oh yeah, the intake silencer removal makes a HUGE difference. I don't know if maybe there is some additional noise due to the pipe piece I installed, but on heavy acceleration there is very loud air noise. Sounds like hurricane force wind under the hood! Under light acceleration there is less rushing air noise and more whistle from the turbo!! And the BPV is always audible, I hear it even when I don't think I'm making boost, now I realize why the gas mileage isn't all that great, the car is always boosting!!!

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hella Supertone pics (daytime)

more pics:

Front view w/ Rally Armor, notice the grill guard is virtually invisible!!

closeup:

back side rally armor:

·
Registered
357 Posts
nice pics

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
i also have a 06 and installed some super tones this week end. i trimmed the air ram things so it looks a little differant. i will post pictures in my 06 thread in a few.

great work by the way. really nice

·
Premium Member
14,740 Posts
Very nice, I am going to get those Rally Armor Mud Flaps next month. How loud are those horns, I heard they are insane! What they run about?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts