IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So new to the forum usually I could always find what’s up without having to join one but I need some help. 1. My cars not hitting boost right checked turbo turbo is fine I think it’s my waste gate not opening or closing right it reads 25psi but feels like 8psi what do you guys think? 2. My car always starts never has not started but I have to give it gas to start and sometimes it takes more than 1 turn over could it be air fuel ratio?
Or what? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
5,397 Posts
"I think it’s my waste gate not opening or closing right it reads 25psi "

What do you mean ?

How did you check your turbo?

You might be correct about the issue, but we should not guess what you might mean.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"I think it’s my waste gate not opening or closing right it reads 25psi "

What do you mean ?

How did you check your turbo?

You might be correct about the issue, but we should not guess what you might mean.
So not very good with cars yet or good at explaining things but I just looked up symptoms and I’m not having any of them of a bad turbo and my buddy hooked up a air compressor to It and compression test it I think the right term is and it was working fine...

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If your wastegate were stuck open, the engine would not hold boost correctly let alone build it. If the wastegate were stuck closed, then there would be an overboost and the ecu may set a fault and or limp mode. We need more information to help figure out whats going on, lets start with the basics.

What year car?
Whats the mileage?
What mods?
Is the car tuned?
Check engine light?
Any codes?
Any recent maintenance done?
How are you getting your boost readings?

There could be a number of things going on here at once but you need to start with the basics. Im unsure of how the turbo was checked by your friend. The correct way to do it would be to perform a smoke test on the intake side of the turbo. It would also be a good idea to smoke test the engine to make sure there are no air leaks.

A compression test would be checking the bottom end of the engine to see if there are internal issues. If you do not find any air leaks what so ever, you may want to consider doing a compression and leak down test just to verify engine health.

You may want to consider taking this to a professional if you arent mechanically savy with this kind of stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts