IW STi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question im sure someone can answer does the 06 sti have a short shifter from the factory because i test drove a 04 sti before i bought my 06 and the 06 feels tighter and looks shorter but my sticker that was on the car when i bought it did not list it. but if you read the ad for the 06 sti in any magazune it list it with all the other options that come standard in the sti.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i know i just was not sure if they came with the 06 sti's or if there is something diffrent about them because mine feels diffrent and is shorter than the 04 i drove but does not list it on the sticker that was in the window.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Yeah, funny cuz I saw an ad in a magazine that said it came standard too. I saw the ad after I purchased the car with the option though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
IMO, the stock '06 throw feels shorter than previous years and, in fact, feels just about as short at the SPT short throw I had on the '03 WRX. As with other years, the '06 does offer a short throw option.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
I had an 04 and now a 06. The 04 shifter was not as tight and I went to a kartboy short throw because of it. I like the stock tall shifter so I probably won't go to a short throw even if I miss 3rd on occassion.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The factory short throw option is nice. I bought my '06 STi without theat option, because I got a good deal on it, knowing I would put the short throw in later. The short throw makes a noticable difference, and in my opinion makes the car more fun to drive. The shifter doesn't loose any height, they simply move the lever point up almost 1/4". At first, when I layed the two next to eachother, I couldn't tell the difference. If I had it to do over again, I would recommend going aftermarket. The factory short throw comes with all of the linkages, but the only difference is the shifter itself. I wasted half a day doing the complete change over, and measuring each piece to figure this out.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Yeah, the SS is an option. The 04 shifter did feel notchier and loose. The 05 felt a little better. Now the 06 feels the best, much tighter and the clutch is softer compared to the 04/05. I don't think the shifter us shorter though, feels the same to me, imo.

I owned an 04, 05, and currently happy with my 06.

·
Banned
7,256 Posts
GotSTI? said:
I had an 04 and now a 06. The 04 shifter was not as tight and I went to a kartboy short throw because of it. I like the stock tall shifter so I probably won't go to a short throw even if I miss 3rd on occassion.
You can still have the stock lever, and find third easily. It's not the lever that helps to define the gates, but the bushings.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i just checked under the car to see what color the linkage is and it is green.i just got done reading in the how to section about putting in the factory short shifter and there is a comparison side by side.the green one is the ss and the bronze /brass one is not is this odd because my sticker that was in the window did not have it listed but it is clearly the ss.also the reverse lockout lever is silver not black.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Both of those indicators were true of my changeover. The non-short throw was heat treated stell, that looked gold, and the short throw was painted a greenish color. The partial cone piece that holds up the boot on the inside of the car is silver behind the leather on the SS shifter. On the non-SS it was black.

If you got it without asking, you're lucky!

·
Registered
757 Posts
I believe the OEM short shifter comes w/ a chrome finish collar (on top of shift boot cover) as opposed to a black one for the "none" short shifter....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts