IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been a member here for about a year, and clubwrx for about 4. i skipped buying an 03 wrx for a bike, scared of blowing the tranny. now im saving for a black or white 05 sti. yesterday my roommate came home with a brand new PSM 06 wrx. i hate him. lol. the new front end is growing on me, i think its best in white or cgm. my question is, would you rather pick an 06 wrx brand new (and of course go to stage 2) or buy a used sti and put it to stage 2. im thinking in terms of gas mileage, cost, new vs used, etc. i love the drivetrain on the sti, knowing autox wont break it and all id want is stage 2 and id be happy for a while. wrx would want springs, stg 2, wheels, short throw. so since u all have the sti, what are you thoughts? thanks guys.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Tough call there really. It's easy to say GET THE STI, but it's really not that cut and dry. For one, you don't know how a used STI has been treated. It's in that list of cars I'd always refuse to buy used, but that's just my personal preference. Starting over with a brand new car, even if it's a lesser of a model to me is a better idea, especially with the great savings you can get on a new WRX as opposed to a used 05 STI. The market is pretty high on used STis, and getting an 06 WRX will be a lower risk, and cheaper overall to own. I happen to think the new Impreza line looks nicer, and has a more stylish, more classy look. If you were to get an 06 WRX, you'd know it's brand new, and when you go to mod it, you don't have those unforseen possibilities that could come back and haunt you depending on how the used STi was treated and maintained. My advice is to get prices on both, compare the good and bad, and base your decision on that. If you feel you might have future regret in getting the WRX, then I'd take your time and really search for a nice low mileage STI, that you know was treated well.

I'm probably gonna be one of the few, maybe the only guy here who will tell you to get the 06 WRX if you cannot afford an 06 STI. You will have that new car security, and will never have to wonder how the car was treated by a previous owner. Good luck in your decision. :)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reason Id buy a used STi is they are built pretty damn bulletproof. If i found one owned by an adult and not modded i wouldnt be that worried. But the brand new car thing is why my roommate is so happy. Anf the modabillity of the new engine is very good. Im worried that i wont be happy with an 06 without suspension and stage 2. they have way too much wheel gap for me stock, ride height seems enormous. I guess im wondering if i would miss/want the 6 speed, brembos, diffs, etc. I know how ill drive either ca be it autox, in the snow, or mtn roads. i love driving, downshifts, double clutching, everything. i dont want a problem like the old bugeye trannies coming back to haunt me when something on the 06s starts blowing up.

roommate did say he got an extended warranty where even if he puts on a new upgraded turbo they ll cover it. so theres something. i dunno. anyone see an 06 sti for 25 k ? lol

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
NorCALSpeed said:
roommate did say he got an extended warranty where even if he puts on a new upgraded turbo they ll cover it. so theres something. i dunno. anyone see an 06 sti for 25 k ? lol
uhh what kind of warranty is that? i never heard of or will believe that a company will cover you if you upgrade your turbo.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
id get the sti. im still tryin to buy a used 05, only has 18000 on the clock adult owned. its at bridgewater acura right now. im going down there this week to see if hell take 25000 cash, out the door. it still has the factory warrenty so im not all that worried.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Run a Carfax, get it checked out by a mechanic, and drive home happy in a used STi. As you've already mentioned, the STi is a tough car and hard to damage. The interior, Brembos, DCCD, wheels, and of course the extra power, more than make up for the fact that it isn't a brand new car. Your friend will be the jealous one. :D

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get the STi. I bought my 04 STi with 25K on the clock. Already modded w/ I/H/TBE and EM. I have had no problems with it besides new brakes and a 5th gear grind that was fixed under warrentee. Now im at 60K mi and she still runs as good as the day I bought her. I personally dont buy new cars any more...they depriciate too quickly and you can find pleanty of reasonable owners that are selling their STi's after a year of ownership with low mileage for around 25K.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i was in the same boat as you and picked the 06 wrx..with some mods it will run against stock STI with ease....i havent had much problems...

·
Registered
778 Posts
06wrxtr said:
i was in the same boat as you and picked the 06 wrx..with some mods it will run against stock STI with ease....i havent had much problems...
Speed isn't the only thing that an STi has over the WRX. An SRT4 with "some mods" will "run against a stock STI with ease." You still don't have the brakes, wheels, tires, interior, HIDs, DCCD, engine internals, etc....

·
Registered
13,137 Posts
rv7 said:
Speed isn't the only thing that an STi has over the WRX. An SRT4 with "some mods" will "run against a stock STI with ease." You still don't have the brakes, wheels, tires, interior, HIDs, DCCD, engine internals, etc....

+1:tup:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks everyone. im definitely seeing support for my gut instinct on this one. power isnt everything and it would cost a lot to make an 06 wrx handle the way id want it to and look right. as long as i can get one with some warranty time left (or buy and extended?) ill be on it.

yeah i was skeptical on his extended warranty too. i know the roommate asked about mods and everything because ive told him about the old bugeyes shredding gears so he asked lots of questions. i assumed it was just a cool dealership but he said its covered by SOA. ill believe it when i see it but hopefully they didnt screw him out of more money. im assuming its some clause where if the upgraded turbo breaks because of something completely separate failed that came from the factory did it. i doubt if hes running modded 1/4 miles and breaks stufff at the track that theyll replace everything without questions. thanks a lot guys for the support and the advice. seems almost everyone is saying the same thing, bugeye sti.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I just got my 06 sti used with 10k miles for 28k so you shouldnt have a problem getting a low mileage 05 sti in good condition. Definitely go for the sti or everytime you see one youll wish you had.

·
Registered
633 Posts
While the STI may be called "bulletproof" by many of you, it's not as "cost" proof" when buying used. A new car always has that advantage. There are still weak points like the clutch, and of course maintanence will occur sooner buying used as well. An STI with 25k miles is like your average economy car with 50k miles when it comes to maintanence, so just prepare for maintanence sooner then expected if you go with a used STI. It's part of the cost in owning one of these cars, along with higher car insurance and gas costs. Is a new 06 STI that out of reach? I know they are selling for well below invoice here, with great finance offers. I guess that's a few grand more that you simply cannot afford compared to buying a new WRX and putting some money into modifying it, and I suppose your new WRX will be a less equipped model as well, like a base TR model, because when you load up an 06 WRX, it starts catching up to the STI in price.

A new car is always less of a risk, but in this situation, this is obviously a car you want to acheive more then just the power out of, and don't mind the less daily friendly capabilities, higher maintanence, insurance, and fuel costs, and don't mind buying used. Since a new STI is not in your price range, you should take your time and find the lowest mileage best priced STI you can get your hands on. With enough patience, you can find a nicely maintained, never modified, gently driven pre-owned STI. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
WRX8STI said:
While the STI may be called "bulletproof" by many of you, it's not as "cost" proof" when buying used. A new car always has that advantage. There are still weak points like the clutch, and of course maintanence will occur sooner buying used as well. An STI with 25k miles is like your average economy car with 50k miles when it comes to maintanence, so just prepare for maintanence sooner then expected if you go with a used STI. It's part of the cost in owning one of these cars, along with higher car insurance and gas costs. Is a new 06 STI that out of reach? I know they are selling for well below invoice here, with great finance offers.
The deprication hit you take will never be equal with the maintainence cost assosiated with slightly used car...that said that only applies to a well maintained non-abused car. So I will agree and disagree with you. In my case...I have slightly abused the car (20+ auto X runs)...and who know what the previous owner did to it. I have had very very few problems with my STi and its my daily driver; however, I will agree that you will have to factor in new brakes, and clutch, because they are just wear items that will go out @ 25K and around 50-60K mileage respectively.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts