IW STi Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Time to resurrect this thread once again.

Overview:
My 2005 STi sit unused because it overheats. When it was last at Subaru for diagnosis of this situation, the tech claimed there was a problem with power at the wiring harness and said that he'd have to replace the radiator fans, shroud, relays and wiring harness... and he'd have to confirm he can even do the work since I have an aftermarket radiator. I decided to have at it myself, so he showed me which relays he was working on and handed me a printout of the wiring diagram for the radiator fans.

After a few rounds of effort, I have come to the conclusion that (1) the wiring diagram given to me at the dealership is inaccurate, and (2) the subfan relays are mislabeled in the car. These discoveries certainly complicated my diagnostic efforts.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
This imgur album shows a screen capture of the 2006 (mislabeled as 2004) wiring diagram as compared to the printout I was given at the dealership. See pins 4, 8 and 21.

I also have a digital version of the actual 2004 manual which shows the same wiring as this digital 2006, but ALSO indicates the coloring of the wires. I took a look at the wiring on the back of the harness and the coloring seems to indicate that the digital manuals are accurate, but the subfan relays are mislabeled in the wiring harness.

----

Now, back to my car. I have all but convinced myself that the original dealership diagnostic was wrong because he had an inaccurate wiring diagram.

Set up the BRZ (my daily driver) so that it's basically ready to jump start the STi, but I never actually turned the STi on.

I pulled all 4 relays out, and used wire connections to jumper all 4.

With this connection, all 4 fan electric connections should be running, and both actual fans should be running, but they are NOT. I can get them going by flicking them, but that's a sign of problem.

So then I disconnected the radiator fan itself and checked the voltage at the actual connection. I got full voltage (13.9V) across 1/2 to 3/4 on both fans. So clearly the fans ARE getting the right voltage, but are NOT turning on when they get power.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Acquired 2 new OEM fan motors and installed them today. Drove to Bird Road dealership from Kendall and it never overheated (even though I dumped a bunch of coolant on the floor when I had to remove the hose from the top of the radiator).

Gonna burp the system once it cools down to purge the air I've undoubtedly gotten into the coolant system, and then the STi shall ride again!

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
I just found this How-To on installing the stainless steel brake lines. Seems like an easy job.

HSPN TV - HD Videos on Demand - Powered by HSPN Networks, LLC
it's not just an easy mod; it should be the first mod anyone does. no other cheap mod will produce as much immediate impact. right behind that ss brake lines in the immediate impact category is the kartboy short shifter with the kartboy/tic shifter bushing kits.

btw, the 05 was the best sti ever made.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Update:
STi is returning to daily driver duties once again, so it's getting a bit of an overhaul.

I'm going to let Ben @ Wales' Garage:
Replace spark plugs
Replace clutch
Transmission fluid flush
Differential fluid flush

I also want to, myself:
Install hella horns
Flush brakes
Flush power steering system (maybe replace o-rings at same time)
Install head unit (I'm still just plugging into headphone jack on iphone)
Replace Cobb AP (RMA it bc the screen went dark)

97.5k miles ATM

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
New Update!

Got a new job in NJ so we drove the STi from Miami to NJ over the course of about a week. I got new tires, and had Ben @ Wales Garage flush a bunch of the fluids (coolant, power steering, etc.). STi did great.

I noticed that one of the front cv boot had torn, so I got a recommendation from Ben @ Wales for a shop in NJ. I took my STi to Home They seem to have done good work, and the number of GD STi's in the parking lot made me feel good about driving over an hour each way to get there. All they did was replace the axle, refurbish the power steering pump, and give advice on the problems, see discussion below.

Mileage: 120500

Current problems:
1. Increasingly-permeable Fuel Lines
On very cold mornings, when the car starts, it smells like fuel. The shop says the fuel lines are starting to leak/bleed/evaporate/whatever. Shop guys claimed: "Not a real amount of fuel getting out, but its common for these lines to allow some fuel out as they age, and they're near the cabin air intake so the smell can be potent. Only real cure is to replace those lines, and they're a B!tch to get to, so it's expensive to have them replaced. You might as well wait since winter is almost over and do the job sometime before next winter."

As the season warms up, I barely notice the fuel smell anymore.

2. Leaky Coolant
Lately, though, I think another smell is becoming dominant. I think there is coolant getting out, and it might be happening in more than one place.

Part 1.
Shared album - Josh Grubman - Google Photos
That's the top coolant reservoir. Clearly, that green stuff is coolant and it doesn't belong there. It looks to me like the top, big black line (which comes from the AOS) is not making a good seal with the reservoir. No big deal, I cranked down on the screw-down clamp. I'll keep checking on that for the next few days to see if I gotta screw more or replace the whole clamp.

Part 2.
Those two horizontal green lines. WHAT ARE THEY???
Today, while the engine was running, I saw some fluid actively dripping from those lines. It seemed to be flowing down the left somewhere.
The best picture I could get. If you look below/behind the bolt with the "8", you can see the green line coming up and connecting to some sort of clamp, and then it's a black rubber/plastic line from there. If that clamp is leaking, it's going to be really hard to get in there to tighten or replace it.

Anyone have any experience with that clamp? That IS a coolant line, right?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Time for another update.

The leaky fuel lines have been replaced by Broken Motorsports Race, Rally, And Performance Car Preparation

I believe the leaky coolant lines are becoming a problem. After being sick last week so the car didn't move at all, I drove to work this morning and saw smoke from the hood scoop. The smoke was coming from the top of the block and when I look closely, there is liquid sitting underneath the big air hose between intercooler and the intake manifold.

I left work at noon and checked again but the liquid was all gone. Drove home (without giving car time to warm up) and there was no smoke.

I checked the oil level seems fine.

I checked the coolant and it is below minimum, which is noteworthy because I had to top up the coolant after brokenmotorsports.com; so I topped it up again.

Now I guess I will do some research on the coolant lines on top of the block to see what's going on.

Edit: Figured out that the shop pinched/cracked a coolant line on top of the block. He replaced that line for no cost.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
July 2018 update:

Kept getting CEL that the gas cap needed to be tightened. Forum research led me to believe it was the fault of a few small hoses in the engine bay... NOPE

This tiny hose is crapping out

TL;DR The charcoal canister is cracked, that's the CEL. BUT they also noticed that both the MAF sensor and O2 sensor need replacing. Wideband O2 sensor is fine. So they replaced the O2 yesterday and will replace MAF sensor today.

AFRs should return to 11-13 under load.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
March 2019 update.

Replaced power steering pump once and for all.

Head gasket died. Revealed by smoke from engine bay under load. Noticed it early, tho, so no harm done. Compression and leakdown tests confirmed diagnosis and no further problems came up during repairs.

Downpipe cracked at the cat weld. Thanks, Cobb. Gotta replace that, too.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
End of March 2019

Power steering pump replacement went well.
Head gasket replacement went well.
Downpipe replacement went well. (Props to Cobb for offering me a deal on a replacement downpipe!)

Got a CEL P0457, but the shop confirms the EVAP system has no leaks (with a smoke machine). So I am just going to use Cobb AP to delete the DTC so I can use cruise control again.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts