IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys brand new to the whole STi deal. I LOVE MY 05. theres only two things i dont like. i dont like the gas mileage and i dont like the amount of road noise. the engine is beautiful!!!!! i love the torque. just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to improve my mileage, and if anyone has a write-up or anything on installing dynamat. let me know guys and i look forward to being a part of the awesome STi community we all have here.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I improved my gas mileage in town by almost 4 MPG by driving one gear higher than I normally would. In other words, if I usually cruised a certain street in 4th, I'd use 5th instead. Huge increase in MPG. Road noise? Different tires (all seasons, or stock-like tires with slightly softer sidewall perhaps), Dynamat, louder stereo. There are options there too. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats the thing, i go in as high a gear as a can almost all the time and im still only getting 220 to 240 on on a tank.

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
welcome

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
valvestud said:
thats the thing, i go in as high a gear as a can almost all the time and im still only getting 220 to 240 on on a tank.
How many miles on it? It improves somewhat after the first few tanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i bought the car used with 14k miles on it. any other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Get the APS R5, or G200 exhaust and all the road noises go away.

Get a boost gauge, stay below the zero and dont shift higher than 3k rpms and you'll constantly get some nice gas mileage.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol wow. ive never heard of anyone telling someone to reduce interior noise by installing an exhaust. thats not happening anytime soon but any other tips or tricks?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
As far as dynomat goes, you'll notice a much bigger difference doing the rear hump under the back seat than anywhere else(at least I did).

·
Registered
833 Posts
valvestud said:
this is about as good as its gonna get,if gas was going to be the number one concern you bought the wrong car:D sometimes i can just watch the needle drain so fast its crazy,but no matter how calm i drive i still seem to only get 250 miles on a tank give or take so your definatley not the only one;) not to be a broken record but staying out of boost is the only way to conserve,but welcome to the site.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ya when you said 220 -240 thats pretty good because sometimes i dont even get that out of her. this isnt your typical 4 cylinder vehicle, you can sort of compare the gas usage to a 6 or 8 cylinder vehicle. BUt other than that welcome to the community

1 - 20 of 31 Posts