IW STi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about 3 weeks ago, I was on the way home from work and as I was pulling onto the onramp to the highway, I did a little pull (about 15 psi) and let off. All the sudden the engine was running super rough and the AFR's were going all over the place and the CEL turned on and started blinking. So I quickly pulled over and read the codes and got P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304...the dreaded all cylinder misfire. I turned off the car, restarted and it would start sometimes and then immediately stall, other times, it wouldn't even start at all. I ended up having to get it towed home AND to top it off, the tow guy left a massive dent in the trunk... Anyways, the only thing major I changed before this happened was the front O2 sensor, installed Tomei header and up-pipe.
As a side note, the car was running and doing fine for about ~350 miles before this happened!
After doing some research, I decided to go ahead and change the spark plugs, replace the MAF sensor, and go ahead and purchase an OEM front O2 sensor. Just replaced all of that today and started the car. It ran for about 5 min idling and RPMs were up and down due to ECU relearning with new MAF and front O2 (I'm assuming) and then stalled once it warmed up a bit. CEL came back on and had the same codes..all cylinder misfire again. I'm not sure what is going on but if anyone has had this happen to them before or knows what could be going on, any help would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking my next step is to check timing and then retime it...maybe it skipped a tooth or two during the pull but I doubt it.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed it maybe 2-3k miles ago along with water pump of course. Everything was running fine..I just don't know what the issue could be and how random this all was. Going to pull timing again and recheck everything. If timing is off, that brings up another question as to why it was fine and then is off now...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Gear
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Auto part Font Plant Jewellery

Lmao...

With crank aligned, the passenger side is fairly close to aligned but the driver's side....waaay off.
After retiming, I found out why the belt could have slipped. The tensioner was not really applying much tension to the belt and there was quite a bit of play. I was able to push the tensioner down to add the needed tension. Now, the belt is under what seems like is the correct tension and does not have much play in it now..fingers crossed it works Lol

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Do you recommend I just snag a Gates Timing Kit instead with the blue belt? This kit was around $250 I believe..
No I dont to be honest. Gates quality has changed over the years and there are far to many stories on the internet about the gates kit. I am in the market for a timing kit myself to be honest. Im looking into the IAG timing kits. They use OEM parts from Fuji Heavy, oem tensioner, and a kevlar belt. They are currently on a black friday sale as well. If not then I would go with OEM everything from the dealership.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I dont to be honest. Gates quality has changed over the years and there are far to many stories on the internet about the gates kit. I am in the market for a timing kit myself to be honest. Im looking into the IAG timing kits. They use OEM parts from Fuji Heavy, oem tensioner, and a kevlar belt. They are currently on a black friday sale as well. If not then I would go with OEM everything from the dealership.
Oh that sounds better..I'll have to check it out

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am assuming the color of the belt makes no difference? Just checked the site and the 'red' belt kit is out of stock but the black belt kit is in stock.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I am assuming the color of the belt makes no difference? Just checked the site and the 'red' belt kit is out of stock but the black belt kit is in stock.
I dont think it makes a difference. I just ordered the black timing belt kit myself a couple mins ago. Personally I would rather the black one over the red. Sure the red looks nicer but who knows if it will transfer over any material onto the pulleys over time. I know there were plenty of reports of that happening with the blue gates kits belts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got everything installed. The kit is quite nice and was fairly straight-forward to install. One thing I will point out is that the crank timing guide that they provide, IS a PITA (sort of..) to install. Just make sure you are lifting it as much as possible to get as much clearance as you can between it and the belt. It is a rather tight fit but I was able to get decent clearance on it. One tip if you're doing this with the engine in the car, like me, is to use a mirror to ensure even spacing between the crank timing guide and the belt. Gonna finish installing everything else and hope for a un-eventful startup this weekend! 🤞 I will update this weekend documenting the results lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts