IW STi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
S204 Racer
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to do a couple of things with this thread. First is to see where my own times rank (above average/average/below average), and second is to get a little advice on the launch.

A little about my car...

'05 STi, 12,000 miles, factory short-shift kit, Helix catted down-pipe, Prodrive axle-back, Prodrive PFF7 18" wheels, BFG G-Force Sport (225) tires, Cobb Stage 2 with a pro-tune by Jorge (Rifts WRX). Corrected WHP: 290, WTQ: 323.

I made 7 passes at the track the other night (90° ambient/near sea-level), and in general, these are my stats...

60 ft: 1.775
330 ft: 5.332
594 ft: 7.767
1/8: 8.334
MPH: 82.19

Best time:

60 ft: 1.743
330 ft: 5.280
594 ft: 7.716
1/8: 8.26
MPH: 82.81

My questions are...

1. With an 8.2 8th mile, what should my ¼ mile time be (just a guess).
2. How can I get my 60 ft. time down?

I've read "slip the clutch" until I'm blue in the face, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. I usually bounce the revs close to 6K, and then let out of the clutch really quick, almost a dump. This produces a lot of wheelspin, evident in my 1.7 60 ft times. Anyone that runs 1.5's want to take a stab at explaining to me exactly how they do their launch?

Also, do you guys let off the gas when you shift to 2nd, 3rd, etc? I do...

Thanks for any info/help/advice :).

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
8.3 = 13 flat

8.26 = 12.96

8.2 = 12.85

Launching is all about practicing. 1.7's aren't bad, but 1.6's are great. You were probably heat soaking with the 90 degree weather, so I wouldn't lose sleep about it. If you went when the weather was in the 70's, you'll see some nicer times. When shifting... make sure your right foot doesn't come off the ground (flat foot shifting) to yeild better results.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
booSTi561 said:
8.3 = 13 flat

8.26 = 12.96

8.2 = 12.85

Launching is all about practicing. 1.7's aren't bad, but 1.6's are great. You were probably heat soaking with the 90 degree weather, so I wouldn't lose sleep about it. If you went when the weather was in the 70's, you'll see some nicer times. When shifting... make sure your right foot doesn't come off the ground (flat foot shifting) to yeild better results.
when u say does not come off the ground . .. does this mean just keep it wot and just shift ?? wont the rpms jump? or am i wrong :notsure:

·
S204 Racer
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
booSTi561 said:
8.3 = 13 flat

8.26 = 12.96

8.2 = 12.85

Back before my pro-tune, and when it was cooler (5/5/2006 60° ambient), I made 9 passes with a single 1.6 60 ft, but my average was 1.757, which is a little quicker than this last time. Also, my best time then was 8.147 @ 83.21 mph with a 1.7 60 ft, so I hear you on the high temps.

With my pro-tune, flat-foot shifting, and some cooler temps, I'm thinking I should run an 8.0, at least that's my goal.

Shouldn't I be able to manage a 1.5 60 ft with the right launch technique?

·
S204 Racer
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Garo666 said:
when u say does not come off the ground . .. does this mean just keep it wot and just shift ?? wont the rpms jump? or am i wrong :notsure:
You shift super-fast, and a little before you normally would. It's a bit dangerous as well, but you should be ok if you constantly keep it in your mind to slam the clutch into the carpet before you shift. Also, you have to have the jungle-balls to do this from 2nd to 3rd. I don't normally do it because when I do the car bucks hard. Rarely have I ever felt the car grab a 2nd like a RWD car, but it can be done if the shift is done perfectly, it's just much harder than in a RWD car.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
UltimateLurker said:
You shift super-fast, and a little before you normally would. It's a bit dangerous as well, but you should be ok if you constantly keep it in your mind to slam the clutch into the carpet before you shift. Also, you have to have the jungle-balls to do this from 2nd to 3rd. I don't normally do it because when I do the car bucks hard. Rarely have I ever felt the car grab a 2nd like a RWD car, but it can be done if the shift is done perfectly, it's just much harder than in a RWD car.
wont u burn rubber using this method in-between shifts if done correctly? . . . and so if i normally would shift at 6500, i should shift at like 5900 or 6000 to be on the safe side if im flat footing?

lol on the way to the gym i was trying this and the ground had some dirt from the recent construction and i was spinning in between shifts lol thats why i asked hahaa:D

·
S204 Racer
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Garo666 said:
wont u burn rubber using this method in-between shifts if done correctly? . . . and so if i normally would shift at 6500, i should shift at like 5900 or 6000 to be on the safe side if im flat footing?

lol on the way to the gym i was trying this and the ground had some dirt from the recent construction and i was spinning in between shifts lol thats why i asked hahaa:D
Burn rubber? Hopefully :D.

What happens is that you a slightly better time by not lifting off of the accelerator, but the consequences can be terrible, so a lot of people don't do it.

As far as when you shift, that depends on how fast your shift-hand is :).

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have run a best of 8.0 @ 86mph on stage 2 sti, with a 1/4 of 12.56 @ 109.8, this was a tune on pump gas but i was running race gas when i ran this time.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I used to flat-shift my car a lot at the track. On the stock turbo it helps a little, but your syncros will hate you for it. Get a utec/hydra and flat-shift all you want.

I found an old video of me flat-shifting all gears at the dragstrip. Definitely the best shifting I ever caught on video. The audio is kinda screwed up and loud so turn it down before you click the link. This was back when my only mods were a typhoon, tbe, and ap stage2. http://media.putfile.com/05-STI-amazing-shifting-bad-audio

Not many people manage to pull 1.5 60' times without staging with their rear tires. My best 60-ft was a 1.66, my technique was to slip the clutch around 5500rpms, no wheelspin and just a tad of clutch stink. Also managed a 7.94 @ 85.4 eighth and 12.48 @ 108.6 quarter. This was with AP+Streettuner, Catted TBE, CAI, EBCS, and a couple other little things. It was about 60 degrees out at the time, temps make a huge difference.

·
S204 Racer
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
STimo said:
I have run a best of 8.0 @ 86mph on stage 2 sti, with a 1/4 of 12.56 @ 109.8, this was a tune on pump gas but i was running race gas when i ran this time.
But I can't just pour race-gas in my car before I go to the track, right?

·
S204 Racer
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jays05 said:
I used to flat-shift my car a lot at the track. On the stock turbo it helps a little, but your syncros will hate you for it. Get a utec/hydra and flat-shift all you want.

I found an old video of me flat-shifting all gears at the dragstrip. Definitely the best shifting I ever caught on video. The audio is kinda screwed up and loud so turn it down before you click the link. This was back when my only mods were a typhoon, tbe, and ap stage2. http://media.putfile.com/05-STI-amazing-shifting-bad-audio

Not many people manage to pull 1.5 60' times without staging with their rear tires. My best 60-ft was a 1.66, my technique was to slip the clutch around 5500rpms, no wheelspin and just a tad of clutch stink. Also managed a 7.94 @ 85.4 eighth and 12.48 @ 108.6 quarter. This was with AP+Streettuner, Catted TBE, CAI, EBCS, and a couple other little things. It was about 60 degrees out at the time, temps make a huge difference.
Thanks for the info, but I can't watch the viddy, I get "error downloading codec". Do I need Divix?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
It's probably encoded with divx... it works on both my home pc and my work pc.

·
S204 Racer
2,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I checked out your thread on the subject, great 60 ft time, but the heat and elevation killed your ¼. Wait 'til later in the year and do some runs, you're in the 12's for sure with that 60 ft and Stage 2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts