IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So "TL-racer/STi-driver" as well as myself both go to discount tire. we both get Rage Breakers with a 42mm offset. His fit fine, mine don't even come close. Other people post pics of theor new wheels, yet other members including myself order the exact same wheels and they don't clear the brakes (i.e. Enkei RS5's). Same offset. No spacers. What the **** is going on here?

Is it possible that Subaru could have sent out STi's with different size front calipers?

Let me know what you think...cuz I am out of ideas.

Bryan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maybe you should find out what the clearance looks like with the stock wheels? I think we could probably agree on that to be consistent.

You know, space measured between caliper and spoke, hub and caliper clearance measurement, inside rim and caliper clearance measurement.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
canadaman13 said:
So "TL-racer/STi-driver"...
is he local to you? is so, put on his wheels. this is interesting. it seems more likely that you (and others) were sent the wrong offset rather than subaru using different calipers. dunno.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Re: Reducing snow tire width

4MLA1FN said:
canadaman13 said:
So "TL-racer/STi-driver"...
is he local to you? is so, put on his wheels. this is interesting. it seems more likely that you (and others) were sent the wrong offset rather than subaru using different calipers. dunno.
That would be my guess. I think the brembo calipers they use are actually the same across the 350z, evo, and STi. Unless they changed the hub or something. That would certainly be an odd move though.

-st

·
Registered
208 Posts
Prodrive Mud Flaps

TL-racer/STi-driver is from US - Illinois
Canadaman - obviously not US.

I wonder if there is a difference with the brakes there?

(Am I the first to think of this?)

On the other hand, it seems to me the most obvious answer could be that the retailer just didn't send both of you the exact same thing?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Could it be that Subaru got some of the 350z or Evo Brembo setups and that's the cause of the wheel fitment issues? :eek:

Also, I'm in Illinois and I had fitment issues with the 5Zigen FN01R-C 17x8 +48 that would would not fit my STi. Yet I have seen pictures posted with this same size wheel on an STi.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Not likely the cause. The Brembo brakes for all the applications use the same caliper castings. The differences lie inside where the pistons are. What may be happening here is variation in the raw castings and the degree of finish machining that Brembo does to make them look nice. The variation would not need to be extreme to cause clearance issues because there really isn't much space to begin with. A variation of about 1/8" on the outside of a casting could be possible and may cause fitment issues.

This is just a guess at a possible cause (with some inside information on the source of the castings that Brembo uses ;) )

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Xman said:
A variation of about 1/8" on the outside of a casting could be possible and may cause fitment issues.
hmm. i was assuming all along that fitment issues were because of offset problems.

canadaman13
, garlo, and others: how did the wheel not fit? could it mount on the hub, but would crash into the caliper face (where "brembo" is written)--an offset problem. or could it just not fit on the hub--a wheel diameter problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Xman, the casting variance may be the issue. Although with the wheel mentioned below I would have to move it out 8mm, a little more than a ¼’’, for it to work. But, I never found a definitive answer as to whether the silver Sti I saw posted with these wheels was using a spacer.

The 5Zigen FN01R-C 17x8 +48 fit fine in the diameter of the wheel, but the spokes would hit the front of the calipers. I guess this would make it an offset issue. Although I think it may be more the spokes of the wheels aren’t curved enough to allow clearance for the calipers. I think the stock BBS wheels are fairly unique in that they have a high positive offset (+53), but still manage to clear the brakes. This is definitely due to the curvature of the spokes. I did a little research on the wheel offset that some of the other manufacturers use with their Brembo applications. The stock 350z track wheel has a +30mm offset (18x8), they can probably get away with this do to the RWD platform. But even the stock Evo offset is +38mm, although the wheel is 17x8. They took the “just move the wheel out further to keep it from hitting” approach. We don’t really have the wheel well space or the implied bearing strength to go as severe an offset as they do.

I have to do something soon because I have a set of LM22s waiting to be mounted and a weather prediction of 3”- 6” of snow tomorrow! :eek:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
garlo said:
The 5Zigen FN01R-C 17x8 +48 fit fine in the diameter of the wheel, but the spokes would hit the front of the calipers. I guess this would make it an offset issue.
y'know, after a little more thought and looking at this image from tirerack.com...

...i realize this is not an offset problem. spokes can clash with the calipers regardless of the offset. it has more to do with the design of the spokes. therefore, finding wheels that fit is a matter of trial and error rather than offset. (is this right, or should i give it more thought? :) )

-ron

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
impending snow...

So, by this picture, our offset is pretty extreme comparing it to the 350Z and the EVO. What wheels are they running?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
garlo said:
We don?t really have the ... implied bearing strength to go as severe an offset as they do.
i'd think our offset was the one that was severe. also, i would think our bearings are actually stronger than their since the middle of the road contact point is behind the hub. (help me figure this out.)

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I saw that, I meant what maker. The EVO runs 17" x 8" Enkei®Light-Weight Alloy Wheels. What does the 350Z use?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Should have mine in two weeks...ya

I think the 350 has Rays forged wheels, at the least thats what the 18's are.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Put perrin intake on today

ron, and others,

I admit that finding wheels that fit are indeed a matter of trial and error, and not due to the offset. the spoke design is the important aspect of wheter or not the wheels clear the brakes. however,
it still does not explain how two of the EXACT same wheels fit on one STi and not the next. I just can't afford shipping aspect of the trial and error method.
B

1 - 20 of 27 Posts