Joined the Conversation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Ice silver 2018 Sti
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

18STI18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2018 STI Brake/Rotors shaking

Hey, guys, I am new to the Subaru Family and to this forum!

I have a 2018 Sti with approximately 29k on it and I noticed that the steering wheel will start shaking at highway speeds (55mph & up). I made an appointment with the dealer and these agreed that the shaking was coming from the front rotors. The technician came out and told me that after some tests they noticed there was a slight warping from both the rotors. I asked if they were indeed covered since the car has under 36k miles and he said it did. He went on to say they had to order the parts and I could come in early next week and he would give me a call.

Before they finished putting the car back together, the service advisor came up to me saying they had to double-check with their service manager on Monday since she was not working on a Saturday. They said they needed approval but the technician said they tested the rotors and the specifications were within what was needed for a warranty claim but they aren't sure if it was a manufacturer defect.

I have not modified the car or tracked the car once. I daily commute about 65 miles a day and truly baby the car. Do you guys think the service manager will approve this claim since it is under 36k miles? I was wondering if you guys had experienced anything like this, and if so what happened. Thanks
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-19, 03:58 AM   #2
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 2018 STI Brake/Rotors shaking

Read your warranty to see if rotors are covered. If so fight for coverage if necessary. If not, get it out of the dealer and buy great aftermarket rotors for 1/2 the cost. Even dirt cheap rotors work pretty well at closer to 1/10 the cost. My experience is with GD model brakes, but I'd put money on newer being the same situation.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-08-19, 04:40 AM   #3
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

Its hard to really tell. Brakes under warranty is always iffy with every manufacture. What it really comes down to is if the manufacture will pay the warranty claim and not make the dealer eat it. Getting things covered under warranty is not as simple as everyone thinks. I believe the rotors will have to be out of the deviation spec, but above the minumun thickness spec with the brake pads above minimum spec for them to be covered for atleast a resurfacing and or replacement of rotors. There is also a spec for allowable rotor thickness prior to resurfacing to determin if rotors and can resurfaced or not. Also, brake pads should be replaced anytime rotors are resurfaced or replaced.

Either way, your going to have to wait for the service manager to make the final decision. If the technician did all his proper measurments and went ahead and ordered brakes for the car, id like to think you should be good.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-19, 11:27 AM   #4
18STI18
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks guys, let's see this Monday what the service manager says. I do have the recording of the tec saying he advises them to be replaced and they are within the specs for the replacement. It's funny the brake pads are were not wearing easily, so I could def argue some defect is causing the uneven wear.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-08-19, 06:25 PM   #5
Tifosi
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Tifosi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18STI18 View Post
Hey, guys, I am new to the Subaru Family and to this forum!

I have a 2018 Sti with approximately 29k on it and I noticed that the steering wheel will start shaking at highway speeds (55mph & up). I made an appointment with the dealer and these agreed that the shaking was coming from the front rotors. The technician came out and told me that after some tests they noticed there was a slight warping from both the rotors. I asked if they were indeed covered since the car has under 36k miles and he said it did. He went on to say they had to order the parts and I could come in early next week and he would give me a call.
I like to take a step back for a minute so we can be sure that it is indeed a rotor issue.

1) Are you saying that you feel the vibration under braking from 55+ mph or even when you are just cruising? Because if it is NOT under braking, you should check and see if the lugs are on and tighten correctly, then I would check and see if the wheels/tires are balanced correctly.

2) If it is under braking, the term "warping" is actually a misnomer. It is just an uneven deposited of brake pad materials on the rotors. You can re-bed them or re-surface the rotors. Please do a quick search either here on the forum or the internet for more details about this as there has been plenty of discussions about warping rotors.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-08-19, 06:29 PM   #6
18STI18
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
I like to take a step back for a minute so we can be sure that it is indeed a rotor issue.

1) Are you saying that you feel the vibration under braking from 55+ mph or even when you are just cruising? Because if it is NOT under braking, you should check and see if the lugs are on and tighten correctly, then I would check and see if the wheels/tires are balanced correctly.

2) If it is under braking, the term "warping" is actually a misnomer. It is just an uneven deposited of brake pad materials on the rotors. You can re-bed them or re-surface the rotors. Please do a quick search either here on the forum or the internet for more details about this as there has been plenty of discussions about warping rotors.
Yeah, it is under braking, especially on the highway! I will try tomorrow to get them replaced, if not I will look at re-surfacing the rotors!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old Today, 12:07 PM   #7
18STI18
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Hey guys just a quick update! I got them covered under warranty and just got the car back late last night. No more shaking on the highway!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement