Litespeed Group Buy: Rear Chassis Bridge - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Litespeed Group Buy: Rear Chassis Bridge
Litespeed Group Buy: Rear Chassis Bridge
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Litespeed Group Buy: Rear Chassis Bridge
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-10, 08:13 AM   #1
litespeed
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Car: 07 STI
Fav Mod: Litespeed UEL Header
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

litespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Litespeed Group Buy: Rear Chassis Bridge

Litespeed Performance

Announcement: Group Buy ends 6/1/10!

Time for another Litespeed group buy for a new product! We call it the Rear Chassis Bridge because that's what it does, it bridges the hole in the rear chassis behind the rear seats, and it functions a bit like a suspension bridge.

Everyone remembers the popular Car Labs X-Brace. Of course, it's a couple of years or so out of production, but everyone knows how well it worked in tightening the rear of any 02-07 Impreza bodied vehicle. There is considerable movement between the top of the rear chassis and the bottom which adds to the sloppiness at the rear of the car. Ideally, when the rear outside tire has taken its set as you turn, that would be it and the rear of the car would follow the front without any drama. This would describe a neutral feel, but with the unbraced Impreza rear, the top of the car wants to keep rolling over the bottom and tries to force the tire over onto its sidewall which of course decreases grip and feel. The X-Brace greatly minimized this problem. Similarly, the Litespeed Rear Chassis Brace allows for immediate weight transfer to the outside rear tire during a turn. We at Litespeed wanted to replicate the positive effects of bracing the rear chassis while minimizing three of the downsides of previously released products, namely, ease of install, weight and price.

When developing the Rear Chassis Bridge, it became clear that bracing only one part of the rear chassis was crucial to get that tight feel at the rear of the car, the space behind the rear seats. Bracing the rear strut towers or other areas of the trunk space just did not make much of a difference in the sedan body, as is evidenced by the numerous threads on Impreza forums describing how little rear strut bars do to help. It was only when we tied the top of the chassis to the bottom that the real magic happened. Fortunately, Subaru made it pretty easy to do this without having to use the tops of the strut towers thereby simplifying needed components and installation of the Litespeed kit.

The kit comes with all hardware needed including forged turnbuckles, custom made stainless steel slings (made in the USA), stainless load dispersing washers, grade 8/10.9 bolts and neoprene washers and vinyl sleeves that prevent metal to metal contact to avoid noise, rust or wearing. Each turnbuckle and sling arm is rated at 1200 lbs/545 kilos of pull so they won't fail. The washer system is designed to prevent overstressing the mounting points. There is a limited amount of slack that can be dialed in or out to fine tune the tension for a serious track car. The complete kit only weighs 3 lbs (compared to 10-11 for X-Brace and similar).

The back seat still fits without issue and all the stock rear seat area hardware can be utilized if desired. The tops of the arm assemblies are mounted to the holes at the upper part of the rear chassis frame near the strut tops, and the bottom is mounted to the innner threaded holes for the inner LATCH anchors as seen below. Also pictured is a close up with the rear seat installed and you can see the pass through can still be utilized for those that have them:

I'll save some testimonials from our testers for a subsequent post as we need to describe the group buy.

Regular price on the kit is $159.99. The Group Buy price is $149.99 but will drop to $129.99 if we can get 20+ orders. EDIT (4/1): no volume requirement - $129.99 for all starting now (No April Fool's )!

EDIT FOR PRICE DROP (4/11)

* I've decided to lower the price on the Rear Chassis Bridge as I'd like everyone to feel that they're getting value for their money on Litespeed products. So instead of $129.99 total, the price will be $114.99! The deposit of $65 will be the same and when I receive each batch of slings you will be notified via PayPal and an announcement in this thread to pay the remainder ($49.99) and your kit will be shipped. *

Price includes shipping! Because the stainless wire slings are custom handmade to order for me, a nonrefundable deposit of $65 will be required upfront and the order will be placed. As soon as I have them, you will be notified to pay the balance and the kit will be shipped out immediately upon receipt. Thanks.

PayPal deposit payment to [email protected]

Edit: I have a website up for installation instructions for the Litespeed Chassis Bridge:

https://sites.google.com/site/rearch...geinstalltion/<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Adam
Litespeed

1. joey.lisano - paid > shipped
2. bufu07 - paid > shipped
3. etl003 - paid > shipped
4. ImpactBlue - paid > shipped
5. zfox44 - paid > shipped
6. Icereaperx303 - paid > shipped
7. BadlandsRacer - paid > shipped
8. versus1ss - paid > shipped
9. jgschan - paid > shipped
10. kayen - paid > shipped
11. ex-rex - paid > shipped
12. melomood - paid > shipped
13. shiplemw - paid > shipped
14. sans meaning - paid > shipped
15. mcochra - paid > shipped
16. kh15 - paid > shipped
17. SubySTI06 - paid > shipped
18. JZeezSTI - paid > shipped
19. hondan - paid > shipped
20. fistandauntilus - paid > shipped
21. Co0KiEmAn - paid > shipped
22. axolotl21 - paid > shipped
23. gr00vy07 - paid > shipped

Last edited by litespeed; 06-02-10 at 06:29 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-10, 10:21 AM   #2
BadlandsRacer
Advanced Mastery Level IV
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Fav Mod: GREEN!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BadlandsRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Litespeed Group Buy: Rear Chassis Bridge

Let's see if my crappy Kosovo internet will let me post this time.

Keepin an eye on this...and I'll jump in if the numbers start to get up there. Are there better pictures somewhere? Also...how does this affect useability of the trunk as far as storing large items back there?

Last edited by BadlandsRacer; 03-28-10 at 10:24 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-28-10, 10:27 AM   #3
litespeed

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadlandsRacer View Post
Keepin an eye on this...and I'll jump in if the numbers start to get up there. Are there better pictures somewhere? Also...how does this affect useability of the trunk as far as storing large items back there?
I'll try to get bigger pics up.

The arms sit flush up against the back seat so no intrusion into the trunk.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-10, 11:09 AM   #4
litespeed

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Litespeed Group Buy: Rear Chassis Bridge - Testimonials

Testimonials

We had several of these out there for guys to install and test. Here are some sample quotes:

I was able to shave about 4 tenths off my lap time at VIR with the Suspension Bridge and that was before adjusting my other suspension settings to optimize the new stiffness at the rear. I expect I'll be able to get even better times soon. Definitely increases available grip. Works great!

Trey W., Virginia - 06 STI

Really increases the ability of the car to rotate on command for Auto-X. I love it...can I keep it?

John P., St. Louis, MO - 04 STI

Wow! It's like adding a swaybar to the top part of the car. Really ties things together. The car feels like it should've come this way from the factory.

Warren S., So. Cal - 03 WRX

-----------

Adam
Litespeed
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-28-10, 12:27 PM   #5
melomood
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: DGM 14 STi Limited
Fav Mod: Turbo button!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

melomood is an unknown quantity at this point

i actually thought about this, sounds like a great product. might purchase one in the near future

Last edited by melomood; 03-28-10 at 12:30 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-28-10, 12:47 PM   #6
bufu07
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 04 AW
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bufu07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll defiantly get one if the numbers get to 20's. I gave up on finding an x-brace and this looks like a good alternative, if I wasn't broke atm I'd be on it right now.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-28-10, 01:29 PM   #7
kh15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

kh15 is on a distinguished road

im very interested in this! BUT to be perfectly honest i think the price is a little high. A few summers ago i put together a zip line system for my lab so she could run around in the front yard while still being tied up...anyway, i used almost all of these materials, the coated steel cable with the crimps, the tie rods, etc.
i guarantee i could go to the hardware store and pick all this up for under 20$
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-28-10, 02:39 PM   #8
litespeed

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh15 View Post
im very interested in this! BUT to be perfectly honest i think the price is a little high. A few summers ago i put together a zip line system for my lab so she could run around in the front yard while still being tied up...anyway, i used almost all of these materials, the coated steel cable with the crimps, the tie rods, etc.
i guarantee i could go to the hardware store and pick all this up for under 20$
I guarantee you could not replicate the quality of the hardware, particularly the wire slings, for $20 . This isn't a dog run, give me a little R&D credit.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-28-10, 03:38 PM   #9
joey.lisano
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: mod bug
My Subaru Parts for sale

joey.lisano is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeed View Post
This isn't a dog run, give me a little R&D credit.
My dog yanked one of those things out of the tree. He is now free to chase squirrels in doggie heaven now.

I have a feeling everyone will say, "I'll buy as long as there are 20 people" because then no one will end up buying... unless we find 20 people to go all in at once.

Last edited by joey.lisano; 03-28-10 at 07:14 PM. Reason: subscribing
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-28-10, 04:13 PM   #10
tyler_sti
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

Fav Mod: Not knowing how to "spell" hah
My Subaru Parts for sale

tyler_sti is on a distinguished road

SWEET! As soon as I get my motor mount issue squared away all send you a deposit man. This looks to be a great alternative to the oh so sought after X-brace. I've been wanting one ever since I saw the test models at a meet. I have faith in you're R&D + the other comments on its functionality.

One question...How is even tension achieved/calibrated? Or is it more by feel/tune type thing. Thanks!

Who cares about mod lists anymore? Hahah
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread