Construction at the TiC?! It's more likely than you think. - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Construction at the TiC?!  It's more likely than you think.
Construction at the TiC?!  It's more likely than you think.
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Construction at the TiC?! It's more likely than you think.
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-10, 04:08 PM   #1
Turninconcepts.com
Account Inactive
Feedback Score: 67 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

Turninconcepts.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Construction at the TiC?! It's more likely than you think.

So we've been working on a little project lately that should be done by this time next week or so, and I thought it would be nice to share what we've been up to.

Tony and I have been talking about a clean room since we moved into the new shop space, and we're finally getting around to building it.

What precipitated this is two things:
1) We're bringing AST damper rebuilds, and service in house. That means that when you order the TiC SST spec the build from the base AST 4100's will take place here. We need clean dedicated space to set up for builds, tools, and the shock dyno. That will take place on one end of the room.

2) We've been doing more and more engine builds lately, and it's finally time to start builds in their own room away from all the other stuff that can cause problems when doing an expensive motor project for a customer. Bet you guys didn't know that we've been building some engines huh? We're going to start talking about this more, and as such we need to truly be dedicated to it. That means a room to do it in, and this will be on the other end of the room.

Here's a few pics of the progress to show you what we have so far.

This is from looking in from the main shop area. We have a wall that separates the the two suites we occupy here, and there's a garage door connecting the main shop space from the other side.

This garage door will let us roll engine stands in and out easily without having to try and squeeze them through a normal sized door.

This next one is standing next to the fire exit and shooting into the room.

On the left is the wall where toolboxes will go. There will be dedicated clean room tools in those tool boxes. They don't leave the room, and other tools do not come in. Period.

On the right where those shelves are is where Tony's engine build workbench will go.

That parts washer is one we've been using for a while now. It's a little dirty so it will move out into the shop area to clean dirty parts before they come into the clean room. When clean-dirty parts come in they will go to a second parts washer to make them clean-clean parts before any work begins.

This on is from the other side of the room on the end with the fire exit. You can see out the garage door into the shop space again. You can just barely make out the alignment rack in the background.

This one is from Tony's end of the room next to the drinking fountain. You can see the back wall of the shop through the garage door, and at the far end you can see my workbench where I'll be working on dampers. You'll also see some various parts. The trannies are dead and awaiting move to the boneyard (shelves on the storage side of the shop). The heads and other parts you see there are awaiting teardown and cleaning for some customer builds.

And from the opposite corner of Tony's end of the room:

This is the backside of the wall we're putting up. You can see the back bay of the non-shop side of our space. You can also see some of the loft space we have. We have about 1700 sq. feet of loft space, and currently all that is up there are some old exhausts. As we grow more I have tons of room to move small lightweight inventory into (and anybody who has met me can agree that I could use the exercise of going up and down stairs 50 times a day).

Behind me would be the shelves for the boneyard, and then beyond that shelves for inventory.

The shipping area is under more loft space that would be to the left, but isn't in the pic.

All told the clean room will be about 352 sq feet which is kind of fun to think about as that's bigger than all the space that TiC took up for a LONG time. It's kind of cool to think about.

Plans for the coming week is to install the small door, finish the drywall, and then clean the clean room. This will involve vacuuming every surface (including the ceiling), wiping everything down, vacuuming more, install shelves and bins for the damper parts, get the nitrogen tank put in place, fix up Tony's engine workbench, install toolboxes, get clean parts washer, populate tool boxes (with new tools that are new in box), and then move those engine and damper operations into the room.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-10, 08:00 PM   #2
k38s
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Car: 08 OBP STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

k38s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Construction at the TiC?! It's more likely than you think.

Nice to know all that money I have sent you two bastards is going to good use

Seriously, I LOVE TiC and I can sum why in 2 words, CUSTOMER F#CKING SERVICE!!!!!!!!

Ugh..... ok that was three words but you get the point. Good luck on the new project. I look forward to funding some more of it, just don't tell my wife
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-10-10, 08:09 PM   #3
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

Very nice!

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-10, 09:05 PM   #4
GoodTimes
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: The X
Fav Mod: Track days!!!
My Subaru Parts for sale

GoodTimes is on a distinguished road

Looking good guys! I'm going to be talking to you guys in the near future about a re-valve and stiffer spring rates for my TIC's.

You guys rock...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-11-10, 01:13 AM   #5
Arnie
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Car: DentedRustedBugeye
Fav Mod: Whiteline Balljoints
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Arnie is on a distinguished road

Awesome guys! Congrats on the new shop and expansion of facilities and offerings. This is really going to bring you to the next level. Are you getting an alignment rack as well? Also, let me know if you ever need any strut rebuild tips (like how to tell gas has entered the oil chamber and what will happen when it does!). Maybe I can help if AST isn't available.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-11-10, 05:57 AM   #6
Turninconcepts.com
Account Inactive
Feedback Score: 67 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

Turninconcepts.com is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Awesome guys! Congrats on the new shop and expansion of facilities and offerings. This is really going to bring you to the next level. Are you getting an alignment rack as well? Also, let me know if you ever need any strut rebuild tips (like how to tell gas has entered the oil chamber and what will happen when it does!). Maybe I can help if AST isn't available.
Already have the alignment rack. Something we should have done a LONG time ago. We picked up a used one, cleaned it up a good bit, had hunter come in and calibrate and fix anything broken. The cost was recovered on all that in about 3 months or so. It was crazy.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-16-10, 07:23 AM   #7
Arnie
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Car: DentedRustedBugeye
Fav Mod: Whiteline Balljoints
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Arnie is on a distinguished road

Great news! You guys are well on your way to being a full service race shop! Congrats gentlemen!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread