Tarzan Yamada's 2008 Crawford Performance STI Build - Stage Packages - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Tarzan Yamada's 2008 Crawford Performance STI Build - Stage Packages
Tarzan Yamada's 2008 Crawford Performance STI Build - Stage Packages
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Tarzan Yamada's 2008 Crawford Performance STI Build - Stage Packages
Closed Thread

Old 10-29-08, 05:22 PM   #1
CrawfordPerformance.com
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Power
My Subaru Parts for sale

CrawfordPerformance.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tarzan Yamada's 2008 Crawford Performance STI Build - Stage Packages

The Car and Driver
  • 2008 Subaru STI (blue)
  • Tarzan 'Eiji' Yamada

Tarzan Yamada after completing two days (and two full tanks of gas) of ride alongs at Miller Motorsports Park

The Tarzan Project
  • Stage 1 - SI Mode Switchable Maps - Complete
  • Stage 2 - SI Mode Switchable Maps - Complete
  • Stage 3 - SI Mode Switchable Maps - In Progress
  • Stage X - We leave that up to Tarzan Yamada
  • 50% Daily Driver / 50% Track Worthy

The Stage 1 Setup (Complete)
  • Crawford Performance TMIC Air/Oil Separator
  • EcuTeK License
  • Reflashed ECU

Click image to view dyno graph tools

The Stage 2 Setup (Complete)
  • Crawford Performance Down Pipe
  • Crawford Performance Signature Exhaust (Coming Soon)
  • EcuTeK License
  • Reflashed ECU

Click image to view dyno graph tools

The Stage 3 Setup (In Progress)
  • Crawford Performance Down Pipe
  • Crawford Performance Signature Exhaust (Coming Soon)
  • Crawford Performance Front Mount Intercooler (Coming Soon)
  • Crawford Performance Cold Air Intake (Coming Soon)
  • EcuTeK License
  • Reflashed ECU

We first started in on this project with the intention of offering Tarzan Yamada a daily driver when he is in the states racing the Crawford Performance Time Attack STI. While it began life as a simple Stage 1 package it has been slowing evolving into something more.

Currently it has our Stage 2 package on the vehicle which seems to be a pretty popular and successful package for many drivers. This far is has been good enough to take 1st Place at the 2008 Subiefest Time Attack Shootout, running in the Street Class. Besides that Tarzan Yamada has put this vehicle through the ringer at the GT Live Qualifier (located at Miller Motorsports Park, Utah). While giving rides to spectators he some how managed to drain two full tanks of gas over the 2 day event. Now that is a serious amount of track time for this daily driver STI.

Subiefest Street Class Champion - Willow Springs International Raceway

Ride along with Tarzan Yamada

Currently we have a few projects in mind for the vehicle, including a full exhaust system to give the car its own unique Crawford Performance sound and a Crawford Performance Front Mount Intercooler in the works. Though it may sound like your standard front mount intercooler there is going to be some trick umm. stuff, that will make it stand out in the crowd but not, while you are being interrogated.

The Stage 1 Package is a great building block for all future your modifications and comes with the track proven Air/Oil Separator. Even our competition (TopSpeed) uses it to keep the oil where it belongs; in the oil pan not the intake track where it will finally coat the top of your pistons. One of the first modifications we recommend over anything else to ensure the longevity of your vehicle, the Crawford Performance Air/Oil Separator.

TopSpeed running the Crawford Performance Air/Oil Separator at the GT Live Finals - VIR

The Stage 2 package builds upon the Stage 1 Package but offers more power by replacing your down pipe with the Crawford Performance Down Pipe. While it does open the exhaust flow of the engine we do not raise the boost much at all because the peak efficiency range of the turbo/intercooler combo is really only designed for about 14-16 PSI. As you can see from the dyno chart (boost graphs) we do NOT spike the boost in order to achieve high torque numbers (a proven way to damage turbo and possible even engines), in fact we barely raise the boost levels at all. We have found manipulating the cam timing offers easier power, more reliability and improved throttle response over the entire power band.

Tarzan Yamada giving rides at Miller Motorsports Park

Each stage package developed also takes into consideration the SI mode with switchable maps. Even though the SI mode does control the butterfly valves, the engine management tuner, can still tune many other aspects of the vehicle, including timing, fueling, variable cam control and even the boost with the flick of the button. So why not take full advantage of those aspects? The I Mode is designed for long highway driving, where improved mpg is a must, so dont expect there to be much power. The S Mode is your standard Sport Mode for around town joy rides and a quick run to the grocery store for some snacks. Then there is the S# Mode, this is an ultra responsive mode that is really only designed for track use, canyon runs, and Autocross events. We will warn you, driving around town can be a little scary because of the extreme responsiveness, but for racing events that is what you will want, trust us.

Some quotes we have received...

Dave Mirra on the Crawford Performance Stage 2 Package - "I'm so stoked! This Subie has power everywhere! And it's so smooth and still street-able. Thanks for helping me out."

David Pratte - Modified Magazine on the Crawford Performance Stage 2 "Crawford also brought its new street STI, which the team had been using as a test mule while developing its Ecutek ECU reflash... The guys slapped their hankook race rubber on their street car and let Tanner Foust have some fun in the team's '$1000 STI' (the price for the CP downpipe and ECU reflash, two simple mods good for over 305 ft-lbs of torque).

The results were, to say the least, impressive. Sure, Foust is a freak o nature behind the wheel, but that can't possibly explain how the CP street STI was able to post a 1:08.324 lap time in the Time Attack, just 0.01 seconds behind the Turbo Lab NSX and 1.5 seconds quicker than the hugely powerful BC Racing G35. Clearly, the new STI is one hell of a machine, even in nearly stock form, and the Crawford boys know a thing or two about making STI's even better."
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-08, 08:02 PM   #2
mofoSTI
Advanced Mastery Level IV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 08 STI,sr20det 510
Fav Mod: boob job for wife
My Subaru Parts for sale

mofoSTI is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tarzan Yamada's 2008 Crawford Performance STI Build - Stage Packages

Great packages! I like what I see
HMS stage 3 forged shortblock, HTA68 8cm, Cobb intake, Perrin inlet, perrin dual catted DP, 3” cat back, Tomei EL headers/uppipe coated, Cobb 1000cc, Cobb flex fuel and AP, grimmspeed ebc, perrin pully, tgv deletes, AEM fuel pump, , Raduim fuel rails, Radium catch can, Radium FPR, air pump delete, Killer B pick up tube, H&R coilovers, 22mm Perrin rear bar, Perrin psrs. 345whp 345wtq 20psi 92oct FTW tune, 332whp 330wtq 18psi PRE tune, 287whp 277wtq 16psi HMS tune: 332whp 329wtq on E85 19psi
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-04-08, 02:13 PM   #3
08aspenSTI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: SRD 5857 Turbo Kit
My Subaru Parts for sale

08aspenSTI is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tarzan Yamada's 2008 Crawford Performance STI Build - Stage Packages

hmm, thats amazing that your making that kind of power with that little of boost. This leads back to the post you guys made about the amount of maps on the new ecu and how many tuners didn't understand it yet. I really hope you make this available for us average joes in a 91 octane variant, it seems much safer and more reliable then what alot of guys are doing currently. I would definately have to feel how it reacts compared to my current stage 2 setup though.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-08, 09:01 PM   #4
sysfailur
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: AW 08 STI
Fav Mod: torque
My Subaru Parts for sale

sysfailur will become famous soon enough

Very interesting on the low boost bit. I'm gonna have to ask my tuner about this. I'm pretty sure I'm running like 18.5-19 which is basically around the same as the stage 2 map.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread