IW STi Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEAVY STi Shift Knob! (Stainless Steel Sphere)

31K views 171 replies 40 participants last post by  BraveSTi 
#1 · (Edited)
THESE ARE AWESOME!!

Hey guys,
You have asked me several times for a heavier shift knob for your STi. Well, I just made the first STAINLESS STEEL STi Sphere & Piston shift knobs!

This knob is lathe-cut from 303 Stainless Steel, which will be the best at resisting rust. You could probably bathe with it and not rust, but I don't recommend that. :lol:

The appearance is a deep gray appearance, with a brushed finish just like my aluminum knobs. Here is a pic of the STi Sphere:

and a pic of the STi Piston: (I can customize the size for your preference. This one is 3" tall so your whole hand can wrap around it vertically)

The total weight of the STi Sphere knob is 465 grams, this is 1.02 pounds
The total weight of the STi Piston knob is 526 grams, this is 1.16 pounds!
The total weight of the WRX Sphere knob is 525 grams, this is 1.16 pounds
The total weight of the WRX Piston knob is 485 grams, this is 1.07 pounds!
This will surely answer those who have asked for a very solid shift feel :D

Weight Comparison Chart:
69g - Stock 04/05 STi Knob
180g - Stock 06-08 STi Knob
105g - My Copolymer/Brass STi Sphere
170g - My Aluminum STi Sphere
465g - 526g - My NEW Stainless Steel Knobs

My Driving Impressions with the Stainless knobs: I just drove around town with the first Stainless Sti Sphere and then the Piston, and I was impressed by the improvement in driveability. The heavy weight of the steel knob compressed into such a small (2" diameter / 1.5" diameter piston) controllable shape makes shifting easy, meaning the momentum of the knob shifts it through the gears without needing as much force during the throw. I would guess this knob would improve quick shift sequences like during AutoX, drag, and road course racing. Since the shape is the same as the copolymer and aluminum spheres I make, the weight advantage is quite nice. I like the heavy knob a LOT more than I expected I would. I made these for you guys, expecting to hate the heavy feel, but I like it!

The special introductory pricing has ended. These are the fixed prices for these knobs from now on:
-6 Speeds
PRICE FOR STi SPHERE: $95.00 USD
PRICE FOR STi PISTON: $75.00 USD

-5 Speeds
PRICE FOR WRX SPHERE: $95.00 USD
PRICE FOR WRX PISTON: $75.00 USD
*including USPS Insured Shipping & Paypal Fee

POST HERE IF YOU ARE INTERESTED!!!

Interested:
1) Urban07STi - SS STi Sphere (SHIPPED TUE 4/8)
2) Speedjunkie - SS STi Sphere (RECEIVED)
3) sti-liger - SS STi Piston (RECEIVED)
4) dc5Aspec'd - SS STi Sphere (RECEIVED)
5) Szumita - SS STi Sphere (RECEIVED)
6) Renns - SS STi Sphere (SHIPPED TUESDAY 3/25)
7) Scotty20bsp - SS STi Sphere (RECEIVED)
8) Lokutus1 - SS STi Piston (RECEIVED)
9) boondocksaint - SS STi Piston (RECEIVED)
10) A_White06 - SS STi Sphere (RECEIVED)
11) Xerox445 - SS STi Piston (SHIPPED MON 4/7)
12) jv01 - SS STi Sphere (RECEIVED)
13) Graac - SS STi Piston (SHIPPED MON 4/7)
14) Haroman311 - SS STi Sphere (RECEIVED)
15) Autocannon05 - SS STi Piston (SHIPPED TUESDAY 3/25)
16) Billy Baru - SS STi Sphere (SHIPPED TUESDAY 3/25)
17) BlkSTiAL - SS STi Sphere (RECEIVED)
18) Barry - SS STi Sphere (SHIPPED WEDS 3/26)
19) Brushfire - SS STi Sphere (SHIPPED FRI 3/28)
20) ktulu990 - SS STi Sphere (SHIPPED MON 3/31)
21) Sti-LOS - SS STi Sphere (SHIPPED MON 3/31)
22) Kaz - SS STi Sphere (SHIPPED MON 3/31)
23) 05_STi_WRX - SS STi Sphere (RECEIVED)
24) Big67 - SS STi Sphere (SHIPPED MON 3/31)

ORDER INFO & METHOD:
I am not accepting orders for the Stainless Steel Sti Sphere and piston. To order, send paypal to me with ALL the following info so I know what is being ordered and who you are on the forum. This will let me update this thread with individual order status so you can track it yourself.

MY PAYPAL: cmattessich@optonline.net
AMOUNT: $$$ Shown Above in Price list
SUBJECT: Shiftknob Order
From "_______" on IWSTI.com [<<enter your screenname]
ATTACH your shipping address

See less See more
#7 ·
Count me in. That's one down.

#9 ·
how much do you think it would be for the ss piston knob? i really like that design.

#11 ·
With the increased labor time (+15%) and material cost (3X more!) compared to aluminum, I'll start the price of the SS STi Piston at $69 USD shipped. The price may change after the first one is made to compensate for any unexpected costs.

#10 ·
Hey man put me down for the first one. I'll pay right now.

#12 ·
cool! any idea how much the ss piston might weigh?

#22 ·
I am not sure on that just yet. It will cost more since a batch of anodizing is a set price, so I would have to make a whole bunch at once, send them for coating all at once, and pay for that single batch. It is not worth-while to coat only a couple at a time. I'll see what I can do.

I actually just ran a quick search and it seems that you can anodize SS, and a very good place to do it is where I already brought my aluminum knobs before. I'll update with this later next week when I talk to my friend who runs that place.

#21 ·
ok, put me down for a ss piston when they're available.

#25 ·
None will be raw, I always sand them down to a nice finish, then use polishing compound to seal the outer surface of the material. They would be able to clean it off before you get it custom-anodized though.

#31 ·
I have an order for an aluminum STi Piston now, so I'll make that and a first-off SS STi Piston right after so I can snap pics of them next to each other.
The alum STi Spheres are in stock, so I'll take pics of that next to an SS Sphere after the piston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.