IW STi Forum banner

Houston Tuners? Engine Logics?

24K views 44 replies 21 participants last post by  imma_stocker 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I have an 08 STI, and I'm interested in understanding what my options are for mods in Houston.

Cobb and Perrin both list Engine Logics. Do any of you have any experience with these guys?

What other shops should I consider? Who is the go-to tuner in town?

Thanks very much.

#2 ·
The ONLY go to tuner in Houston is Enginelogics. I wouldn't let anybody else local near my car. EngineLogics has built up quite a reputation for customer service, just search them here or on TXIC (NASIOC). They fully built my car and have been very happy setting speed records and spanking exotics.

#3 ·
I think you should use SGP Motorsports. They mainly deal in Nissans, but they tuned my WRX and have an AWD dyno. They are an authorized TurboXS dealer and plus....Perrin equipment sucks! Cobb is ok, but I (and others) have had issues with their Access Port reflashes. They tend to make your car run way to rich. But, hey its just my 2 cents.... Plus I drive 4 1/2 hrs to SGP just for my car.

#38 ·
I think you should use SGP Motorsports. They mainly deal in Nissans, but they tuned my WRX and have an AWD dyno. They are an authorized TurboXS dealer and plus....Perrin equipment sucks! Cobb is ok, but I (and others) have had issues with their Access Port reflashes. They tend to make your car run way to rich. But, hey its just my 2 cents.... Plus I drive 4 1/2 hrs to SGP just for my car.
S G P is history buddy it's now JTran Studio .... very good tuner name Johnny ...

#4 ·
As far as my experiences go just check out enginelogics. They might be expensive as hell but they know what they are doing. SGP motorsports should stick with nissans b/c their tune on my Ride was not good whatsoever.

My tuner is pretty far and not very well known in texas. But I got tuned by Topspeed Motorsports in Atlanta, GA. If you wanted a pretty good tuner out of the state go to Topspeed, PDX Tuning, XX Tuning, those are a couple of tuners who I would trust for my subbie. No one in Texas will touch my car though.

#5 ·
EL is the way to go in Houston...now, it's hit or miss on the other guys around Texas but if you have EL in your backyard, might as well go to them...

i've been running the AP Protuned on meth for 8 or 9 months now and have have had zero problems...

on EL dyno i made 292hp and 321tq...

carlos nice

#6 ·
Engine Logics is the best in the houston area ....SGP are a rip off and tune cars to blow up. i talk to a guy who went through 4 motors.........

#7 ·
We have to Protuners in house. Doug Wilks, and Scott Siegel. Both are known in the Subaru market and many others. Its a little bit of a haul from Houston. You can make a mini vacation out of it. Give us a call if you'd like to set up an appointment. You can always get 10 people to get tuned and we will fly out to you.

Take care!

Tray M
866-94SPEED

#12 · (Edited)
Many have said this was a horrible tune. Especially for my mods:(

Numbers:
Dyno: Dyno Dynamics
Tuner: Brad @ Engine Logics
Wheel HP: 270
Wheel TQ: 276
Ambient Temp: ~90'
Elevation: ~50' Above sea level

Car Info: White STI
Year: 2006
Engine Management: Open Source
Turbo: Stock VF39
Intercooler: Perrin
Meth Kit: N/A
Injectors: Stock
Intake/Inlet: Injen Short Ram
Headers: Perrin Equal Length
Uppipe: Stock
Downpipe: Perrin catless
CBE: Custom 3'' catless to Magnaflow
Other Power Mods: Walbro FP

#13 · (Edited)
well, i can't remember what i put down without the meth but i think it was closer to 282hp and 290ftlbs. i could be wrong so you "may" be on par with the numbers.

to be completely honest with you, i don't go to EL anymore. Chris is waaaaay too far up on his high horse to give 2 ****s about anything. Brad is a good tuner, don't get me wrong, but if you question one of them, you question both of them.

lets just say we had a falling out over a stupid transmission. they are quick to go on the defensive and they will twist your words around to make it appear that you were bad mouthing them. plus, their shop is damn near empty.

with the emergence of other shops in the Houston area that have much better PR and understanding of customer service, they have fallen in the ranks.

that being said, my last tune at EL was sometime in the summer of 2008.

i drove to Dallas to vistit the ever so popular Keith Fields at AWDTuning and i swear on everything that this guy is the **** in Texas. he gained 40hp and 10ftlbs WITH THE SAME EXACT MODS.

car drives like stock. even at 2200rpms in a high gear the car doesn't jerk and hesitate like the junk tune EL put on my car.

i can be in 6th gear doing 65mph and not even have to downshift to make a pass on the highway.

if you go to the other famous Subaru site and read AWDTuning's thread yuo will see with your own eyes what kind of tunes Kieth and put on these cars. he's amazing, simply put.

he's cheaper than EL and will perfect a road tune like no other tuner in Texas will.

lemme put it this way, Cobb set up a shop about 20 miles down from his shop and peiople STILL go to Kieth to get tuned. now THAT'S saying something.

carlos nice

#15 ·
p.s.
i just noticed that he tuned you for 12A/F all the weay through on stock injectors.

that's not like Brad to do something like that, unless you told him to. usually he likes to stay low to mid 11's.

12.0 A/F's is a bit questionable, especialy in 95 degree weather.
i know. i showed kieth my charts and he said he was surprised my motor hasnt gone yet. i was just home on leave in july and installed my tial bov and when i took the intercooler pipe off i saw oil. it didnt pour out but its was enough to drip off my finger so i took my car to kieth to check it out. he read my ecu when i did a pull and he said the tune didnt look perfect but it wasnt horrible. on his road dyno software, he had me at 281/272 from EL's 270/276. he did say that their wideband at EL reads high but i dont know if thats true or not.

#22 ·
but remember, you still have that garbage tune on your car.

don't go WOT the **** out of it, cuz afterall, what good is a new turbo, meth, ewg, ebcs, turbo inlet, injectors, tgv's installed when you're engine is about to go.

if i were you, i wouldn't go passed 3500rpms and NO WOTing !!!

carlos nice

#25 ·
he said their afr read high duer to their wideband that goes in the muffler. he said when he read other peoples (my o2 bung is custom for my custom exhaust and he said the welds bled through so he couldnt hook up his wideband to my car, the o2 bung on the dp was welded shut for whatever reason) they were lower that EL's. my wideband is currently not hooked up.

#27 ·
Hey sorry guys I know this thread is long dead but you guys are the only ones I oucld find from houston, now that said im looking for a 04+ sti for sell and it would be a plus if they wanted to trade for a bagged s10 or a lifted f250... I just cant find any STIs for sell around here. Well thanks for your help!!
Jared

#28 ·
Hey guys,

sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I had a question along the same lines.

I am looking to get a retune on my 04 sti, it has a perrin gt30r kit, smc injection, forged pistons, and supporting mods.

I put down 365whp without injection 385whp with injection @ 25psi

Does anyone else think the 20whp increase is small? The TQ increase was better, but still not what I was expecting.

I was thinking it might be a limitation or have something to do with the SMC injection kit, I was thinking of going with aquamist or something and getting a retune, thoughts?

I only have one dyno graph, and it is not very clear, it had a drink set on top of it.

Sorry for rambling but I am essentially asking should I go back to engine logics for a retune? MZM? AWDtuning? Cobb?

Thanks guys

#29 ·
Hey guys,

sorry to resurrect a dead thread but I had a question along the same lines.

I am looking to get a retune on my 04 sti, it has a perrin gt30r kit, smc injection, forged pistons, and supporting mods.

I put down 365whp without injection 385whp with injection @ 25psi

Does anyone else think the 20whp increase is small? The TQ increase was better, but still not what I was expecting.

I was thinking it might be a limitation or have something to do with the SMC injection kit, I was thinking of going with aquamist or something and getting a retune, thoughts?

I only have one dyno graph, and it is not very clear, it had a drink set on top of it.

Sorry for rambling but I am essentially asking should I go back to engine logics for a retune? MZM? AWDtuning? Cobb?

Thanks guys

Go to Cobb. There tuner there is amongst the best. Im aslo curious about how much meth you were flowing. I'd look into a kit with a failsafe like the Coolingmist one I have. :tup:

#34 ·
Ya it does not have a failsafe, I was looking at aquamist and coolingmist and would probably just buy whatever my tuner likes to work with.

My mix is 100% denatured alcohol.

There was a cobb car locally in austin texas, it had a blown motor and was done poorly, but it was he said she said so who knows.

Does anyone know if Cobb is opening up in Austin? I thought I heard that somewhere.

#35 ·
Ya it does not have a failsafe, I was looking at aquamist and coolingmist and would probably just buy whatever my tuner likes to work with.

My mix is 100% denatured alcohol.

There was a cobb car locally in austin texas, it had a blown motor and was done poorly, but it was he said she said so who knows.

Does anyone know if Cobb is opening up in Austin? I thought I heard that somewhere.
whoa, 100%?? you should of made quite a bit more. like 20% more power than without it. i would say 430-440whp with 100%

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.