IW STi Forum banner

wheel hop problems

8K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Arodsti 
#1 ·
I just ran my car today for the first time at a local 1/8th mile drag strip and was disappointed. It made 440awhp and 412wtq and the et and trap speed were lower than i anticipated. I couldnt get a clean launch without it wheel hopping badly( no lauch control, i was launching at about 5k). I am running a all season street tire on it now, should i run drag radials? maybe a launch control? I didnt mess with the diff control, where do you all set it at? My driving is not bad by any means, my previous car was a 06 z06 vette, and i had 1.73 60ft on drag radials with that. I just think i dont have the proper setup to run the times i want. Any tips or advice would be appreciated:tup:

#4 ·
Im no drag racing expert, but I believe I recall reading; if you have wheel hop, you need more RPM.

Maybe someone else with more info can chime in.
i know what you mean...more rpm means more power, thus makes it power through the wheel hop. I was just scared to go real high rpm with the wheel hop for my axles sake:(. I was just thinking if i had a way to build boost at the line, it would power through the wheel hop:notsure:

#10 ·
I run my center diff full open to facilitate wheel-spin in the rear. And if I break a rear axle, the open center should also reduce the chances of breaking a front axle immediately afterward.

What psi are you running in the back? I've been using 33 or so, but haven't experimented with more or less yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.