Just got an airbag recall notice, who else got one and what did you do about it - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Just got an airbag recall notice, who else got one and what did you do about it
Just got an airbag recall notice, who else got one and what did you do about it
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Just got an airbag recall notice, who else got one and what did you do about it

Old 03-18-17, 06:08 PM   #11
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Just got an airbag recall notice, who else got one and what did you do about it

Deleted
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.

I'm putting IAG back in here. Engine wise the car hase been trouble free for 56K. My STI is nearing the 60K minimum JJ led meto expect from a 2618 piston equipped block and it's still running strong.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-17, 07:11 PM   #12
BootsJunkie
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Car: '05 WRB STi
Fav Mod: JDM V8 seats
My Subaru Parts for sale

BootsJunkie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Just got an airbag recall notice, who else got one and what did you do about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
05 fixed by dealer years ago. What's to be mad about. They're covering no matter the age or condition of the car. I got a notice. Made an appt, done that week in 40 minutes during a lunch hour.
We must've lucked out with our 05's before the recall really expanded and it only took about 2 days to get ours done. But I do find it weird how the recall ended mid-generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknblue06STI View Post
I called SOA this afternoon and they said I'm eligible for a loaner car during the waiting list period, so I will go that route.
But do you gotta leave your car at the dealership for that 1yr while you wait? I would not feel comfortable with that, for said reasons above. I don't see why you couldn't keep the car in your possession while you wait, since SOA already covered their asses by disclosing the information, essentially putting all the responsibility on you until it gets fixed in case anything happens.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-18-17, 10:30 PM   #13
blacknblue06STI
Account Inactive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Black, 06' STI
Fav Mod: ACT Monolock
My Subaru Parts for sale

blacknblue06STI has a spectacular aura aboutblacknblue06STI has a spectacular aura about

Sorry should have clarified, I do not have to k eave my car at the dealership during the waiting period, so theoretically I can end up with a loaner for months if that's how long it takes for the parts to come in. Fine by me, the STI's mileage will stay low while I'm driving the loaner. They said they make a record of the mileage though, making me wonder if it ends up in a fee if I put miles(on the 06) on it while I have the loaner ? I'll find out on monday.

Last edited by blacknblue06STI; 03-19-17 at 09:41 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-17, 10:16 AM   #14
blacknblue06STI
Account Inactive

My Subaru Parts for sale

blacknblue06STI has a spectacular aura aboutblacknblue06STI has a spectacular aura about

so, they gave me a crosstrek loaner while I am waiting for the airbag replacement to come in. You'll need full insurance coverage on the recalled car, and proof of ownership, keeping my STI in the driveway at home, only going to take it around the block once a week until the airbag gets fixed.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-25-17, 05:10 PM   #15
TwinkE
Donating Member

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TwinkE is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the passenger airbag in my 2007 legacy replaced last month. Make sure you take it to a dealership you trust. After they finished, mine was missing 2 screws, broke one of the dash mounts and I have a rattle going over some bumps between 20 and 40mph. I was able to figure out where the rattle was coming from and tried fixing it today. Initial trip sounds promising.

TLDR- be prepared for them to add some rattles and hope it wont be too bad to fix

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-25-17, 07:49 PM   #16
blacknblue06STI
Account Inactive

My Subaru Parts for sale

^^^Did they remove the entire dash on your Leggy; I have seen the procedure for the GD STI and they only have to remove the glove box to get the passenger airbag out and the airbag cover, but I think they allow for 2.5-4 hours to account for variation. Shouldnt be too bad, I might swap out my kenwood touchscreen for a stock 6 disc before I bring it in, coincidently the day before I got the recall notice my Kenwood decided to stop ejecting the CD, had it for 5 years and played the sht out of it though.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-26-17, 05:19 AM   #17
TwinkE
Donating Member

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TwinkE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknblue06STI View Post
^^^Did they remove the entire dash on your Leggy; I have seen the procedure for the GD STI and they only have to remove the glove box to get the passenger airbag out and the airbag cover, but I think they allow for 2.5-4 hours to account for variation. Shouldnt be too bad, I might swap out my kenwood touchscreen for a stock 6 disc before I bring it in, coincidently the day before I got the recall notice my Kenwood decided to stop ejecting the CD, had it for 5 years and played the sht out of it though.

Didnt think about just going underneath and I didnt ask about how they did it. I know they did take the center console apart because that wasnt put back together correctly. The connector for the airbag is easily accessible on mine throught the center of the dash where the vents are. Hopefully they didnt actually monkey with the top of the dash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-18-17, 04:39 PM   #18
blacknblue06STI
Account Inactive

My Subaru Parts for sale

Recall parts came in early, took them under 2 hours to replace the airbag parts and replace the cabin air filter and I was out the door, no new rattles or squeeks from the dash, good as new.

If you get this recall get it done immediately
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-19-17, 03:55 PM   #19
LSE
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: Defi Gauges
My Subaru Parts for sale

LSE is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to get around to this. Will book the appt. I drive the car so rarely I wans't too worried. But hey it is free.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-19-17, 05:11 PM   #20
blacknblue06STI
Account Inactive

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSE View Post
I have to get around to this. Will book the appt. I drive the car so rarely I wans't too worried. But hey it is free.
Its smart to get it done, and if the car sits a lot it could be more prone to corrosion of the airbag ignitor, unless its kept in a climate controlled garage. At first the recall was only rolled out in high humidity states like florida to texas, but I think it has been extended to any state with any type of humidty or high moisture weather.

Get a loaner if they have to order the part, the dealership sends the bill to takata so its free for them and the customers LOL.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement