2017 STi New Engine for New Platform - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2017 STi New Engine for New Platform
2017 STi New Engine for New Platform
Go Back   STI Forums > > > 2017 STi New Engine for New Platform

Old 01-22-16, 01:40 PM   #31
blacknblue06STI
Account Inactive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Black, 06' STI
Fav Mod: ACT Monolock
My Subaru Parts for sale

blacknblue06STI has a spectacular aura aboutblacknblue06STI has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 2017 STi New Engine for New Platform

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
It's much easier to gear a V8 with off-the-line torque for MPG's. Also, driving a heavy driveline takes a toll on power getting to the wheels as well as MPG's.

Where have you seen this?

agreed with the V8 torque, no replacement for displacement as the saying goes.

Accessports have an economy map that limits boost that you can flash when max performance isnt needed, and tuners can load a custom economy map as well with a dyno tune. It's not hard to get more MPG out of the EJ.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-16, 01:48 PM   #32
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

I know what AP's can do... I've tuned a lot of cars, to include using the AP/ATR on Subaru's.

You can just as easily limit boost with your foot. To be real, any sane driving is having the ECU keep the boost down anyway. Timing and fueling should be more of a concern with a 'special' map.

Yes, you can improve MPG's a little, but where are you seeing 30 MPG.

Yes, I'm calling bullshit.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-22-16, 03:24 PM   #33
funks
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

funks will become famous soon enough

His mind, black and blue concocts things
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-16, 03:39 PM   #34
blacknblue06STI
Account Inactive

Car: Black, 06' STI
Fav Mod: ACT Monolock
My Subaru Parts for sale

blacknblue06STI has a spectacular aura aboutblacknblue06STI has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
I know what AP's can do... I've tuned a lot of cars, to include using the AP/ATR on Subaru's.

You can just as easily limit boost with your foot. To be real, any sane driving is having the ECU keep the boost down anyway. Timing and fueling should be more of a concern with a 'special' map.

Yes, you can improve MPG's a little, but where are you seeing 30 MPG.

Yes, I'm calling bullshit.
well, going by what others have posted who have used that map or custom tune economy maps. 2-3 MPG over what the manufacturer range isnt hard to believe. I agree about simply staying out of boost. I got 28 MPG from boston to maine using my vacuum readings keeping it at 18-20 in/hg averaged 60 MPH on the stock ECU.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-22-16, 05:52 PM   #35
CHESTYC
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Car: AW Hawkeye STI
Fav Mod: EL headers
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

CHESTYC is on a distinguished road

I have an 06 STI and I'm pretty sure it was listed at 17/24 or 17/23. I could grab it if needed LOL

Maybe the WRX's were up at 27 but for sure not the STI's.

Unless those Mulroney stickers changed from state to state (FML Cali gas and emissions)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-23-16, 05:44 AM   #36
killerbmotorsport
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Car: Blue 05 WRX STi
Fav Mod: It's all good
My Subaru Parts for sale

killerbmotorsport is a glorious beacon of lightkillerbmotorsport is a glorious beacon of lightkillerbmotorsport is a glorious beacon of lightkillerbmotorsport is a glorious beacon of lightkillerbmotorsport is a glorious beacon of light

I could get an honest 28 MPGs out of my 2005 STi with the stock and medium sized turbo, although the conditions needed to be just right; all highway, do not exceed 68mph, windows closed, no A/C. It would provide ~340 miles to when the fuel light came on.

Oddly enough the newer 2012 STi with DAVCS and similar mods could only get a best of 26 MPG with a strong tailwind.

OEM Oil Pickup Failures vs. The Ultimate Oil Pickup

World's Best Performing Air Oil Separator

Brushed Delrin Shift knobs - Grab Our Knobs - It's Good Shift! CLICK HERE!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-23-16, 06:04 AM   #37
MarkWeso
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: 2017 CBS STi
Fav Mod: Tune by Bren
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

MarkWeso will become famous soon enough

These DailySun articles are nonsense. They slightly reword the article every couple days and repost it. They claim the 2017 Sti is adopting the SGP. Highly unlikely that the 17 Sti will be based off of the SGP. Way to early in the cycle to throw away the chassis and suspension that Subaru claimed made the 15 Sti the best performing Sti ever. And as we've all discussed, the USDM will never get a ej20. I wouldn't be surprised to see a fa25 dit in the MY17 though. It seems like a perfect time with the increased competition from Ford and Honda. If they have the tech why not throw it into a mid cycle body to "refresh" the demand for a product that would otherwise be "the same thing as last year". Wishful thinking from me...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-23-16, 06:48 AM   #38
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

In my opinion Subaru needs to change things up fast. I just dont get why they can't give us a 400hp sti. I mean most of us paid 35-40k for the car and some are even paying more if its a special color car. So why not just drop in a set of forged pistons like every other manufacture and put another 1k on the price tag. Every thing else like Recaro seats and double clutch should be added as an option. Let the customer choose how they want to build their car. Just give us the tools to do it! Honestly i dont think most of us would mind paying another 3k for recaro seats, forged internals, and 400hp when it comes to buying a new sti.

Last edited by Jay11STI; 01-23-16 at 06:53 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-23-16, 07:19 AM   #39
Boosted886
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Boosted886 is on a distinguished road

Although I hope for a new engine/facelift, wouldnt it be too early after only 2 years on the VA?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-23-16, 08:12 AM   #40
MarkWeso
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: 2017 CBS STi
Fav Mod: Tune by Bren
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

MarkWeso will become famous soon enough

While I have no evidence to back this up...I feel like Subaru as a brand makes much fewer changes to their vehicles year over year. Maybe it's this way that they keep their prices down compared to other brands. I feel like with their increased sales figures (they never let us forget about those...) they should be able to shorten the "cycle" of these vehicles. It kind of sucks that we need to wait 5 years for literally any substantial changes to a model not to mention over a decade for almost any changes to the motor. I'm clinging to the "...direct injection across ALL our models by 2017..." comment I read in one of the past articles.

Obviously we need to start clamoring as a group for a new motor in the STi sooner rather than later. They usually listen to us... (laying it on thick)

Edit: and yes...I would pay 3k more for 400 hp and recaros

Last edited by MarkWeso; 01-23-16 at 08:18 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement