GR Hatch: Build Thread for my '09 STI Hatch | Daily Driven | *407WHP / 388LB/Ft & counting* - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Build Thread for my '09 STI Hatch | Daily Driven | *407WHP / 388LB/Ft & counting*
Build Thread for my '09 STI Hatch | Daily Driven | *407WHP / 388LB/Ft & counting*
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Hatch: Build Thread for my '09 STI Hatch | Daily Driven | *407WHP / 388LB/Ft & counting*

Old 12-21-16, 01:46 PM   #1
eaglehunter
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Cobb AP, downpipe and protune (best bang for bucks thus far)
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

eaglehunter is on a distinguished road
Default Build Thread for my '09 STI Hatch | Daily Driven | *407WHP / 388LB/Ft & counting*

I never really considered creating a journal, primarily because I kept the car relatively stock and did not plan any major upgrades. Things changed a little this year and now that I started down this path, I thought it may be nice to document some of the things I am experiencing along the way, as well as share future plans and hopefully get feedback and/or suggestions along the way.

One of my primary goals is to have a sleeper look and to keep the car as stock looking and sounding as is reasonable given the performance goals.

--------------------------CURRENT VIRTUAL DYNO--------------------------

--------------------------CURRENT BASELINE--------------------------

• COBB APv3 Pro Tuned by [email protected] IAG (407WHP / 388WTQ)
  • Tuned on E-66 (93 is 353/324)
  • Running Motul 8100 X-cess 5W40 Synthetic
--------------------------UPGRADES--------------------------
Legend for Mod list:
>> Installed
>> Replaced
>> Purchased/ To be installed
>> Planned

• Blouch Dom 3.0XT-R with 10cm Housing
  • Process West TMIC
  • Crawford AOS
  • Crawford catted DP
  • Milltek 3� CBE
  • COBB EBCS
  • COBB FPR
  • ID 1000cc Top Feed Injectors
  • DeatschWerks 65c Fuel Pump
  • COBB FPS Kit
  • COBB Flex Fuel Sensor Kit
  • IAG Uppipe
  • IAG GTSpec EL Header
  • Tial Wastegate V-Band 44mm
  • IAG TGV Deletes
  • Perrin Turbo Inlet Hose
  • Southbay 1600 injectors
  • AEM 320LPH Fuel Pump (hardwired)
  • AEM 4 BAR MAP Sensor
  • IAG IAT Speed Density Kit
  • IAG V2 Tope Feed Fuel Rails
  • IAG Braided Race Fuel Lines
  • Aeromotive FPR
  • Invidia catted, divorced, full 3" downpipe
Agile Street Short Block (Daily Driven � on 3k miles as of 12/22/2016):
  • Cosworth 99.75 Forged Pistons and Rings
  • Eagle H-Beam Rods
  • ARP Studs
  • OEM Bearings
  • OEM Crank
  • NGK LFR7AIX Spark Plugs
  • 11mm STI Oil Pump
  • Stock Air Pump Deleted (KS Tech Block Off Plate)
Drivetrain and Suspension:
  • ACT HDSS Clutch and OEM Flywheel
  • 2015 Rack conversion
  • Super Pro Steering Rack Bushings
  • Cusco Steering Rack Power Brace
  • GFB Short shifter
  • SuperPro front shift bushings
  • Group N Engine, transmission and SuperPro pitch stop mounts
  • SuperPro crossmember isolator mount bushings
  • SuperPro front LCA's
  • SuperPro rear LCA's and toe arms
  • SuperPro rear upper control arm bushing
  • SuperPro front and rear position trailing arm bushings
  • SuperPro front and rear swaybars and rear brace kit
  • SuperPro front and rear endlinks
  • SuperPro rear diff inserts and pinion bracket bushings
  • Coilovers somewhere in the future
Brakes:
  • Stock rotors and calipers
  • Hawk HKS pads
  • GrimmSpeed Master Cylinder Brace
  • Stainless steel brake lines (considering Goodridge phantom or regular lines, or the Stop Tech lines)
  • Rotors are close to needing replacement, so will need to start looking at options in the near future
Wheels & Tires:
Interior:
Exterior:
  • Stock
Attached Thumbnails
Build Thread for my '09 STI Hatch | Daily Driven | *407WHP / 388LB/Ft & counting*-dynapack_20161016-jpg   Build Thread for my '09 STI Hatch | Daily Driven | *407WHP / 388LB/Ft & counting*-baseline-vs-e-63-tune-jpg  

Last edited by eaglehunter; 04-11-18 at 01:13 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-16, 01:46 PM   #2
eaglehunter

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Build Thread For '09 STI Hatch | Daily Driven | *350WHP / 338 LB/Ft and counting*

Background
I bought my first Subaru, a bugeye WRX, in 2002 after an unexpected stop at a dealership while commuting home. They had a prodrive stage 2 STI in the used car lot and after taking it around the block I was completely hooked and a die hard fan ever since. My next Subaru was a Forester 2.5T (started a family) and then finally in February 2010 I bought this car, my first STI.

Current Car - '09 STI Hatch
I kept the car stock for almost a year, except for changing the OEM Dunlops to Continental Extreme Contact DWS. The Dunlops were terrible and developed bulges within the first 6Kmiles. I have been extremely happy with the Contis and now at almost 55K they are still doing really well.

First Mod was done November 1, 2010 at roughly 9k miles. I installed:
  • Cobb APv2
  • Crawford Downpipe
  • Crawford OTS map
  • Crawford AOS
The car pulled really strong and was pure fun to drive. Loved it! I noticed some slight knock in the data logs and reached out to Crawford to make sure everything was ok. I dealt with William knose at the time and he was great. He reviewed the logs, gave me a couple pointers, spoke about fuel and such and then sent me a revised map to run. It worked pretty well and I drove it like that for a couple months. I wanted to make sure everything was dialed in perfectly and that I was running safe, so I scheduled a pro tune.

Feb 18, 2011 Pro Tuned by Hill @ Agile.
I was really happy with this tune. Hill was great to deal with. He was very patient and helped me understand everything I was uncertain about. Unfortunately I do not have a before and after dyno comparison anymore but the car felt even better than with the OTS Crawford map. It felt very strong, a little smoother and the data logs were spot on. Ended up close to 300whp and 344 lb/ft on Hill's dynapack.

Last edited by eaglehunter; 12-22-16 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Update
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-21-16, 02:09 PM   #3
eaglehunter

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Build Thread For '09 STI Hatch | Daily Driven | *350WHP / 338 LB/Ft and counting*

In mid-March 2016 I ran low on oil and the big ends were not too happy with the abuse and lack of proper diet.

Since I had such a great experience with Agile before, I naturally went back to them to get the car back on the road... new and improved of course. Agile discussed my goals and also referenced a plan Hill laid out for me back in 2010 when I first took the car for the Pro Tune. It was a crazy time at work with lots of travel and long hours, so I did not do a lot of research and went with the suggested plan. Apparently there was a nationwide shortage problem with Cosworth pistons and it took a long time to get those in stock to finalize the build. Fortunately with all the travel I did not really need transportation that badly and I could manage, but it was frustrating to say the least.

I finally got the car back in the beginning of August. It felt good and ran well, given the constraints of the break-in requirements. I did take the breaking-in instructions very seriously and never went into boost, did all the oil changes timely, etc. As part of the build the car had a Q300 fitted, but it was immediately apparent that it would not work for me. That specific CBE on my hatch was way too loud and the drone in the cabin under 3,000RPM was simply unbearable. That was what prompted me to start doing online research and got me active here on IWSTI again, so at least one good thing came from that!

Based on Toivonen's recommendation I purchased a Milltek CBE and it is wonderful! No drone, a nice deep rumble at idle (surprisingly it sounds a little loud inside the cabin vs. outside at idle). On the dyno Hill did mention that it appears to not be flowing as freely as what he is used to and that it is costing me a little, but if that is the price to pay for a couple HP, I will do it gladly any time of the day.

After break-in it was time for the pro tune and the results came back very disappointing. HP was up from around 300 to 350, but torque went down quite a bit. The power band shifted way to the right. In the range where I spend most of my time it is not nearly as responsive as it used to be. Higher up in the rev range it starts to come alive and feels fairly strong, but not even remotely close to what I originally asked for. I followed up and asked for a follow up plan to get me closer to where I would like to be but have not yet heard back from them.... I was told the engine is good for well over 500WHP, so we will see how it holds up. The rest of the build (in my layman's view) unfortunately was not specced correctly for my original ask, which was closer to the 450-500WHP mark.

What I am looking for is reliability and lots of midrange power where I spend most of my time. It should be an exhilarating daily driver that makes you want to find an excuse to go for a drive every opportunity you can find. In my mind that equates to the car being docile, quiet and smooth while cruising around town (like stock), but when you get on it, a whole new world should open up.... and that world should not be limited to the last 1K RPMs... Power wise I think that the ideal range is somewhere between 450 to 550WHP with corresponding WTQ numbers.

So, in an attempt to continue working towards this goal I started reading lots and lots of posts on IWSTI and am also speaking with IAG to help plan this out. The next steps (scheduled for early January) are listed on my first post and I will appreciate any comments or feedback anyone may have. I am hoping this will help me comfortably break 400WHP on 93 and get torque in that range as well. Spool should hopefully improve quite a bit. I know E85 will make a dramatic difference and will smash this comfortably, and i am really excited to see the end results. Realistically i will be driving on 93 for most of the time, as E85 is not all that available in my area. Fortunately there is a station about 10 miles away that carries it now, so it is not completely off the table anymore.

Last edited by eaglehunter; 01-03-17 at 10:43 AM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-17, 09:47 AM   #4
eaglehunter

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Dropping off at IAG on Saturday. Install of new parts scheduled for next week and updated pro tune for 1/16....
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 01-13-17, 11:58 AM   #5
eaglehunter

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Build Thread for my '09 STI Hatch | Daily Driven | *350WHP / 338 LB/Ft and counti

Just spoke to IAG and all work has been completed and the car is ready for tuning on Monday. Upon discussion with JJ they decided to make a couple changes to the original plan.. The Tial EWG has been changed from a 38 to a 44, the injectors were changed from ID1300's to Southbay 1600's (to allow for more future headway) and the existing Crawford was changed to an Invidia divorced downpipe. Looking forward to Monday!

Last edited by eaglehunter; 01-13-17 at 12:02 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-17-17, 07:20 AM   #6
eaglehunter

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default re: Build Thread for my '09 STI Hatch | Daily Driven | *407WHP / 388LB/Ft & counting*

A couple interesting updates after the tune... only had winter mix available that measured as E-63. Drove the car back home in fairly heavy traffic and could not really get into boost or anything, but despite this, the difference is huge! The car is alive again and it feels wonderful!!

The first thing I noticed was the S and S# modes throttle response is back again. I really missed that instant "feeling alive" response. The torque curve definitely moved left quite a bit and you can feel the car just asking to be let go....

The rumble is gone but I am actually enjoying the new way it sounds... deep and quiet enough to not be obnoxious and not tinny/harsh/buzzing at all... very nice overall. The EWG and SF intake is not really noticeable when cruising but if you do apply a little more throttle it will let you know (only very, very slightly though) of its existence, but not intrusive in any way. There was one short stretch of road that I could WOT very briefly and that was an eye opener. The torque and sound rush was quite sudden and amazing and brought a HUGE grin with it.... I am really happy and looking forward to driving again...

Below are a couple dyno graphs from IAG's DynoJet. I asked for a baseline before any work was started, and the difference between the Dynojet and the initial Dynapak readings are quite interesting. The baseline reads 320WHP and 325WTQ, compared to the Dynapak readings (355/344). After the new fuel system changes, TGV deletes, ELH, tune, etc. the car gained between 40-50WHP on 93 while max torque remained more or less the same. I expected a little quicker spool, which did not happen and the extra power only starts around 4800RPM. The biggest difference though is that the torque band is flatter and wider and maintains peak levels much longer than before.

The E-63 results ended up at 407 / 388 and the car is a fair bit more responsive. In the end the numbers are lower than expected, but the car feels really good on the road and is in its "happy place", which is more important than numbers alone, so all in all everything seem to have worked out well.

Last edited by eaglehunter; 01-27-17 at 05:13 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-27-17, 02:13 AM   #7
Joebie
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: The car...
My Subaru Parts for sale

Joebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Build Thread for my '09 STI Hatch | Daily Driven | *407WHP / 388LB/Ft & counting*

:-( most recent dyno graph links are broked
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-27-17, 04:22 AM   #8
eaglehunter

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Build Thread for my '09 STI Hatch | Daily Driven | *407WHP / 388LB/Ft & counting*

Thanks for letting me know. I'll get it updated a little later today.

Update: Should be fixed now.

Last edited by eaglehunter; 01-27-17 at 05:15 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-27-17, 05:22 AM   #9
eaglehunter

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

When this last round of mods were done I decided to do an oil change and have a sample analyzed. Wanted to see how the break-in went and also get a baseline established prior to switching to E-85.

Here are the results. Everything looks good from what I can see but I am curious why the viscosity ratings would be so low, especially considering this batch of oil (Motul 8100 5W40) had done only 1300 miles or so, most of which were "easy" miles.... not sure if anyone has an opinion/perspective to share?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-27-17, 05:26 AM   #10
Joebie
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: The car...
My Subaru Parts for sale

Joebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the roughJoebie is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglehunter View Post
When this last round of mods were done I decided to do an oil change and have a sample analyzed. Wanted to see how the break-in went and also get a baseline established prior to switching to E-85.

Here are the results. Everything looks good from what I can see but I am curious why the viscosity ratings would be so low, especially considering this batch of oil (Motul 8100 5W40) had done only 1300 miles or so, most of which were "easy" miles.... not sure if anyone has an opinion/perspective to share?

Image Link
Bad ass!

I did just switch to Motul 8100(from T6), and should be grabbing a sample this weekend, I'll let you know what they say.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement