Thundercamel's 2005-2015 CBS STi - Weekend and track car - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Thundercamel's 2005-2015 CBS STi - Weekend and track car
Thundercamel's 2005-2015 CBS STi - Weekend and track car
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Thundercamel's 2005-2015 CBS STi - Weekend and track car

Old 01-27-15, 11:47 AM   #1
thundercamel
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Tinted windows
My Subaru Parts for sale

thundercamel is on a distinguished road
Default Thundercamel's 2005-2015 CBS STi - Weekend and track car

I decided that I needed to make new journals in the right sections for my new cars.

Old 2005 journal
Wife's 2010 Forester XT

Crystal Black Silica Base with Nav/Keyless entry/Harman Kardon

Factory Options:
1. Short throw shifter
2. Red footwell lighting
3. Homelink rear view mirror w/ compass, auto-dimming, garage door remote
4. Rubber mats for winter
5. Rear bumper applique (clear plastic on painted bumper)
Want to get 6. Rubber trunk liner

Exterior:
1. New Wave 35% 5-Window tint - Great deal!
2. RallyArmor UR Mud Flaps - Black with red text - never installed

06-09-14

Well, I guess it's official. Not nearly as manly as my 2005 that was taken away from me. Lots to get used to...

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1800x1018.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1800x1018.

06-10-14

Model: Base with Nav/Keyless entry/Harman Kardon
Miles: 200
Pros: Comfortable and roomy, nice steering. TELESCOPING STEERING WHEEL! (I'm 6'3"), Interior lighting including footwells already red, which I had to all do myself in my 2005 including the footwells. Great HK stereo for a factory setup! Head unit is clunky to use, but at least it plays mp3's off my mp3 player through usb which some cars have limitations with. Interior is nice.
Cons: Less manly than the 2005, see below. Jury out on intake sound tube after 1000 miles
Previous Car: 2005 STi

1. The clutch! Requires far less pressure to depress, and now it feels like the clutch on my stepmom's mercury mystique. So far I'm not used to it's feedback, and I don't know if I'll ever be as comfortable with I was with the 2005.

2. The shifter! Both of my sti's had short shifters installed from the factory, and pushing the 2015 into gear is so dainty. My 2005 required more effort, and I could feel and hear the engagement more. It's hard to believe this is the same basic transmission, because I don't know how they reduced the shift effort so much. At least it still has positive engagement.

3. Comfort/Amenities? I thought that the compass and outdoor temperature gauge were fluffy features in the 2005 that was an ok bonus to have. When I bought the 2015 and left the dealer after 10pm to drive home, I was actually overwhelmed by all of the electronics shining me in the face. I was turning the climate control which seemed to be doing nothing, because the feedback from it is on a screen over a foot away! I had to remember to myself that Japanese cars have the headlights at the end of the turn signal lever before I found them. The added comfort I was looking forward to for road trips, and the electronics I knew would be nice to have if there were times you wanted that ability such as SI drive, but I never had a desire for them in my 2005.

I just remembered, I never needed or wanted a hill holder, traction control, stability control, or brake vectoring in my 2005 either.

4. Power steering? Seems to require less effort at low speeds.

The last two reasons are due to modifications, so they don't really count.

5. Exhaust noise. 3" turboback on my 2005 had a nice rumble at all times.

6. Suspension stiffness. That was due to coilovers, which I'm not doing again.

I do like the car, and it's nice to have something brand new for the first time. I knew before I bought it there's no other car with the power, awd, minimal weight for sale today, so I'd just have to get used to it. I just didn't expect it to be so different. The car feels significantly larger, yet if you focus on driving still mostly reacts and drives as small as a GD. 1000 miles can't come soon enough!

P.S. Does anyone feel that 2015 sti's have more "orange peel" in the reflection of their paint as GD sti's did?

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1600x1200.

08-11-14

First 2015 sti with 17" wheels? 245/45R17 Dunlop Star Spec with 17x8.5" TRMotorsport MT1 from my 2005 sti.

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1800x1347.
Attached Thumbnails
Thundercamel's 2005-2015 CBS STi - Weekend and track car-imag0453-small-jpg  

Last edited by thundercamel; 06-27-19 at 12:27 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-15, 11:49 AM   #2
thundercamel
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Thundercamel's 2005-2015 CBS STi - Weekend and track car

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanishingPoint View Post
So, How do you like it compared to the 05.............

I will be stuck with my 07 for a few years yet, but am curios if its worth trading up.
As I'm getting more comfortable with the car, I am happy with it. Money wise, it cost me far more than the 2005 used, so I'm not really sure if that's worth it, but I had to have an STI in my life.

I like that the car is more roomy, more comfy, and more quiet on the inside. This will help for road trips that I do sometimes. It's too bad that the car had to get 8 inches longer and 100 pounds heavier for that to happen, but it still drives small.

I hope to god that some modifications and tuning can get the power delivery to where my old car was. Half of what I mean by that is that the old car had more power which is obvious, but what I really miss is how that power was delivered. I used to wonder if the torque spike at 3000 rpm was a drawback compared to naturally aspirated cars that have a linear power curve peaking at redline, but NO!! I miss that torque explosion at 3000 rpm that my old car had!

I also miss my 7200 rpm rev limiter. You wouldn't think it would matter too much to just shift earlier, but I get caught out by the 6800 rev limiter kind of often. I think I'm used to shifting by sound and feel, and not enough "oomph" has happened by the time the rev limiter arrives.

The SI drive with 3 throttle mappings are nice to have, but unnecessary to me. I'm not sure if they only change accelerator pedal mapping, or if they also change throttle motion speed, but they affect how smoothly I can shift gears with rev-matching and feeding the clutch in at the friction point. I'd like to just get use to sport mode and leave it there, but I'm not sure if I'm leaving any throttle motion speed or power on the table compared to sport sharp. I don't really like sport sharp because you have to set it every time you start the car, and it feels like 40-100% accelerator pedal is just 80-100% throttle anyways. No matter what mode, when I'm doing a quarter mile acceleration simulation, the power takes a little while to recover after every gearshift when you re-open the throttle. My 2005 protune was NEARLY INSTANTANEOUS.

The gearshift is ok. It doesn't require as much force as the 2005, so I guess that's better, because at first I was worrying that I'm causing wear and tear with every gearshift. Performance wise, the 2005 had no problems though, and I may miss the titanium shift knob of the old one, though it would bake in the sun and freeze in the winter. I should have kept it :P

The clutch has been the SINGLE MOST difficult thing to get used to about the 2015. It requires less pressure to depress, but the old one was heavier than most cars, so that's fine. You let the clutch out to 15%, and it starts to grab, and you think everything's good. You let the clutch out to 25%, and it grabs 100%, and you jerk the car. I'm at 1700 miles right now, and maybe the clutch is still breaking in, or I'll just get used to it.

So again, all of these drivability and acceleration complaints may go away once I do the stage 2 mods that my 2005 had. The steering and suspension performance seems at least as good as my 2005, and I haven't even done an alignment yet! I read that the 2015 will apply the inner front brake during a sharp enough turn to keep the car from understeering wide, and it worked! I believe it's part of the Vehicle Dynamic Control system. I was at a red stoplight waiting to turn right. When the light turned green, I floored it in first while turning to the right, and my 2005 would have eventually started understeering at a certain speed requiring you to back off the throttle to tighten your line. The 2015 however got to that speed that I was expecting, and I believe engaged the front right brake, and the nose tucked in even tighter resulting in more front body roll at that moment! I need to try some kind of safe environment to test the system out more, but because this and the improved steering, the 2015 should have more potential than the 2005.

I've only had the VDC be noticeable like that a few times, but if you try to focus on your driving it's like the car can turn in tighter than the 2005 would have been able to. At low-ish speeds (which is all I've noticed VDC working at so far while being safe), your throttle still affects your steering line greatly, so when you shift from 1st to 2nd the car will suddenly tuck the nose in tighter when you depress the clutch, so that hasn't changed. I need a good harness again to correct the steering well while shifting gears in a turn.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-27-15, 12:29 PM   #3
thundercamel
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

One of my favorite mods on my 2005 sti was a QTP electric cutout on the exhaust. It cost twice as much to have P&L do my custom welding than it did to purchase the cutout from Summit Racing. I already had the 3" APS R1 exhaust on the car, with the optional metal substrate catalytic converter. Pictures courtesy of WolfPlayer:

Which left me with the unused test pipe:

Since the piping is identical to what's installed on the car, I had Paul (Pavel?) at P&L chop the test pipe in half, and weld it to the downpipe to make a cutout:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1800x1077.

The result was exactly what I wanted! It didn't change the performance of the car at all since it's after the cat, but I could open and close it whenever I wanted without worrying about tuning. Man did it sound awesome!

So I'm hoping to do the same thing to both my 2015 sti, and my 2010 xt. This time I want to use the Cobb downpipe for both:

COBB Tuning Downpipe Catted Bellmouth Subaru WRX 2008-2014 / STI 2008-2015 / Forester XT 2009-2011 / Legacy GT MT 2005-2009 524202 at RallySportDirect.com

Because it has the cat close to the midpipe, and it mates to the factory catback to be as quiet as possible. Road trips with the APS would get annoying. I'm hoping to squeeze the cutout in front of the cat, so that I can have a catless protune when open for maximum power and noise, and catted when closed for minimum noise and emissions.

My only problems are that I don't have 2 of the perfect test pipes to chop up, and the rear o2 sensor bung is ahead of the cat on the 2008+ cobb downpipes. They say since a tune is required, the o2 sensor codes have to be disabled. I don't know how the cat performance was for their GD downpipes, but it sounds like an excuse for the cat not working well enough, not warming up fast enough being far from the turbo, or for the sensor wires not reaching behind the cat. I never removed ANY cel codes from my 2005, and the APS cat performed flawlessly.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-15, 11:10 AM   #4
thundercamel
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

My car has grown a noisy pulsing sound from the rear, as if a bad wheel bearing. Having prior experience with this in my sister's 2005 civic hybrid, I figured it's more likely the tires wearing improperly due to poor factory alignment. I swapped back to the oem wheels, and my fairly new 17" star specs are in rough shape. Both of the rears are like this on the inside edge:

in less than 4000 miles of driving. I could try to get the dealership to fix this under warranty along with the gas door and chipping trunk corners, but they'd probably do a piss poor job of adjusting the rear toe only. I guess I'll try out the local tire shop (I moved 2 years ago) that I saw has laser alignment, 4 post rack, and is supposed to not mind if I request max even negative camber in the front 0 toe, and be only $80.

Damn Subaru, I've never bought a new car before, and I expect perfection...

P.S. I had the 17" wheels on because at 1000 miles I somehow had a flat tire already, from a nail or such. The only extra that I let the dealership talk me into when I bought the car, was this affordable wheel and tire warranty. I took it back to them for a simple patch job, and they called me saying their machine had somehow scratched the wheel! You had one fucking oem subaru wheel to work on dipshits! I was quite unhappy, and requested a new wheel since this is a new car. They claimed, that none were even available yet in the parts system, and promised a perfect re-paint from the body ship. "We'll see..." I said.

I had to pick up the wheel on a cloudy day, and I brought another of mine to compare it with, and it seemed to match. Seeing it now in the sunlight though, it's darker, OF COURSE. This is why I do my own work, and I wish I could somehow have my own wheel/tire machines, and alignment rack.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-18-15, 02:27 PM   #5
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

Tire cupping? Interesting.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-22-15, 10:23 AM   #6
thundercamel
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I am now typing my posts in notepad, rather than in a web browser. TWICE, my 5-button mouse has slid off my armrest, and landed on the back button, wiping out all of the text that I have entered! Damn the cat, and damn gravity.

Here are two pictures of the tires that came off of the car:

It's easier to feel than to see, but both of the rears are cupped on the inside edge. Here is my alignment this morning:

WHAT?! How can the rear toe be THAT good before, with the problem that I'm having? 0.01 degrees is almost too good to be true... The rear negative camber is high, but only 0.2 degrees higher than what I ran in my 2005 sti for a while, and that car always had great tire wear:

I don't suspect any foul play from the shop, since the front end feels better than ever. It drives straight for a long time, with no hands on the wheel, and feels natural in corners. This problem now more than ever reminds me of my sister's 2005 civic hybrid, and my friends 2007 civic sedan, that have a poor upper/lower control arm rear suspension design. My sisters car cups rear tires, but I've never worked on it.

My friend's 2007 civic, feels like the rear of the car steers itself, and tries to kill you! My theory was that the rear toe changes as the rear suspension travels up and down, from a poor design, or bushing flex. It's most noticeable when there's a lot of weight in the car, and the trip I remember was with 3 people in the car. My 240 pounds was sitting in the rear, and there was snow on the highway. One moderate bump while driving in a straight line caused the rear of the car to drift out to the right! They've had the alignment checked, and it wasn't bad with no load in the car. The dealer eventually performed a technical service bulletin that replace the upper control arms with a revised part. We don't really know if the problem is fixed, because he sold the car. For fun, control+f find the word "danger on this page or this page :P

So now if my 18" tires start getting loud in the rear, what do I do? Try to have the rear toe monitored on the rack while the rear of the car is jacked up, and weight added? I miss my 2005!!!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-27-19, 12:45 PM   #7
thundercamel
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

It's been a long time since I've been on iwsti, and it isn't good. #3 rod bearing failed at 12,400 miles. Car is completely stock still, and has never been driven on a track of any sort, be it drag strip or road course. Wasn't even driving the car hard before or when it happened. Helped a friend move on Saturday, and then it was slightly tapping on startup Sunday. By the time I got it back home, it sounded like this:

https://www.youtube.com/v/lXa3rCS3YrE

This was 4 days before my 5 year anniversary of picking the car up. Most of the engine was replaced under warranty (everything the oil touches, including turbocharger). My friend is a master tech at Kenosha Subaru and did all the work himself, so I feel reassured the job was done right, though I'm not sure if Subaru actually clearances the bearings in their shortblocks now, or if this still has the same chance of happening again.

I've driven the car for a couple weeks since it's been fixed, and I can't even tell any difference, which is good.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 06-27-19, 06:35 PM   #8
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

Wow..............

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement