Iain's 2015 Launch Edition STI - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Iain's 2015 Launch Edition STI
Iain's 2015 Launch Edition STI
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Iain's 2015 Launch Edition STI
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-25-14, 03:55 AM   #1
iainb
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fav Mod: Right foot.
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: May 2014
Location: NoVA
iainb will become famous soon enough
Default Iain's 2015 Launch Edition STI

Hi there, new member to the forums!

We left the house Saturday morning with the intent to go test drive an '08 M3 Sedan and go to see Spider-Man at the local Alamo Drafthouse. Only the first stop actually happened...

We test drove the M3 at a local BMW dealer and it was awesome, but there were issues with the car that made it a bit of a scary/worrying proposition. We have never bought a used car before and that in and of itself is scary but there were expensive things the car was going to need in the immediate future that made it a little hard to swallow.

On the way there we were driving through Fairfax and passed the Subaru dealership. Out front was a previous gen STi and we made a plan to come back after looking at the M3. My wife absolutely loves that gen and it was in black which she liked even more.

So after the M3 test drive we headed back to the Subie dealer and the spot that the STi was in was empty. We swung back around, pulled in and we saw it in the back of the lot getting washed. Of course our first thought was that it was being sold so we got out and headed in to find out. Right outside the door they had a new '15 silver WRX parked and I mentioned it to my wife and she immediately said, "it's ugly, I don't want a new one". Ok, we walked in and before the manager Sam even introduced himself my wife blurted out, "Did you sell that black STi!!!" He started laughing and said no, it they were just giving it a wash because it looked awful. My wife was visibly relieved and we said we were interested in it and wanted to drive it. At this point I realized that my wife was serious about this car. :P

While we waited for them to copy my license and get the car ready I noticed that in the back of the showroom was a brand new, 2015 STi Launch Edition. Man, this car is stunning! I walked around it, dragged my wife over to her repeated, "I don't like it, it's not mean enough, etc" comments.

Anyway, they told us the used STi was ready so we went and checked it out. The car was a 2012 sedan with 20k miles on it and had a cpo warranty up to 100k. It drove awesome, was clean inside and out and, honestly, we were ready to buy it. Part of me was a little bummed because in terms of tech and comforts it was a downgrade from my Outback. The bluetooth was even worse, it didn't have any cool gadgets, etc but it was an STi that I was going to be driving daily and that was more then enough to push those no-tech fears out of my mind.

We went back inside to start talking numbers, trade, etc and I kept looking at the '15. The salesman had to get some paperwork so I walked over to the tower and asked if someone had the key for the new one. A few minutes later they brought the key over and I got in and turned the car on. I wanted to see all the gadgetry and stuff. The second I turned on the car I knew I had to have it. :P It was light years ahead of the previous gen car in terms of gadgets, etc. I dragged my wife in and at that point she was sold on it too knowing that I'd be driving it every day and had to live with it day-to-day.

I asked for a test drive and the manager said they weren't doing test drives (the car only had 8 miles on it) but if we got to a point in the paperwork and it was contingent on a test drive then we could do it. We talked trade-in (I had a guaranteed trade-in price through Subaru), talked price and a few minutes later they were moving cars in the showroom to get the Launch Edition out the door.

Now, I haven't had a lot of seat time in STi cars in general but you could tell immediately that the new STi was much improved over the previous model. Even though the engine is the same it felt a lot different. Granted some of that had to do with the other car being broken in, but still, it was clear almost immediately that the newer car was the better car.

We put about 5 miles on it during the test drive and brought it back. When we walked in the manager knew he had us. A couple hours of paper work later we said goodbye to my 2-year old Outback and drove home in our new STi.

Potatopics, at the dealer:


and at home:


This is the first true "performance" car that I've owned and I am insanely excited to have it. It's also the first manual car I've owned in 14 years. Now I just gotta get out of that 1k mile break-in period, which will mostly be spent in traffic on 66 during my commute.

After we got home we were cleaning up and getting ready to make something to eat and my wife heard people outside. When she looked out both of our neighbors were standing around the car looking at it.

The only extras were the 7 year/100k $0 deductible Gold Plus warranty (no modding plans) and $600 wheel/tire replacement warranty.

One bummer is that when they removed the dealer badge on the back it pulled two small specs of paint with it. There were also two small surface scratches on the back of the trunk. The salesman is going to give me a loaner Wed morning on the way to work and fix both for me so I can pick it back up Wed night. That's fine with me, I have to drop off our down payment and the rest of the Outback keys anyway so no biggie.

Picture Updates
More pictures
Stock Exhaust Sound
Interior LED light pics

Weak sauce "mods"
50%/35% Suntek CXP tint
Disabled DRLs
White LEDs for interior, trunk and rear plate
Winter Wheels - 17x8 Sparco Tarmacs w/ 235/45R17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS70
MachV Black Billet Bumper Trim
CravenSpeed Platypus plate relocator
RallyArmor Mud flaps
Red Footwell Lighting (DIY)
Pioneer AVH-X4700BS (Harness pics 1,2)
OEM Auto Dimming Compass and Homelink mirror

Maintenance/TSB/Warranty Log
6/24/14 - Fuel Door TSB parts ordered
7/18/14 - Dealer found rear differential overfilled from factory, fluid leveled properly (no leaks found)
7/24/14 - Fuel Door TSB replacement installed
7/24/14 - 3500m oil change
7/24/14 - Trunk chipping TSB parts ordered (no chipping found)
7/24/14 - Liquid gasket for rear differential ordered
8/18/14 - Liquid gasket for rear diff installed
8/18/14 - TSB for trunk installed (techs left glue all over the back of my car)
8/18/14 - Fuel door alignment confirmed wonky, ordered replacement parts for entire interior of the fuel door
9/19/14 - 6k service, rear diff verified still good and no leaking
11/3/14 - Complete fuel door assembly replaced (work order)
11/9/14 - Winter wheels on (pics)
1/19/15 - Replaced cabin air filter for upcoming 12k service
1/20/15 - 12k service
1/29/15 - Steering wheel replaced, was scuffed during 12k service
6/16/15 - 18k service
Attached Thumbnails
Iain's 2015 Launch Edition STI-p1000678_zps17b6fa4c-jpg  

Last edited by iainb; 07-29-15 at 10:22 AM.
iainb is offline  
Likes 2 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-25-14, 03:58 AM   #2
guzie
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fav Mod: Nameless muffler delete
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Grand Rapids MI
guzie is a jewel in the roughguzie is a jewel in the roughguzie is a jewel in the roughguzie is a jewel in the rough
Default Iain's Launch Edition '15 Sti

Nice. Dealer badging sucks. They should know better than to put one on an STI.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
guzie is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 05:44 AM   #3
405HP_Z06
Platinum Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
Car: '15 STi Launch Ed
Fav Mod: Driving
My Threads
Posts: 615
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Arlington, Tx
405HP_Z06 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Iain's Launch Edition '15 Sti

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainb View Post
Hi there, new member to the forums!

Yesterday my wife and I left the house planning to drive an '08 M3 Sedan and ended up, completely unexpectedly, coming home with a '15 Launch Edition STi.

We normally keep our cars for 10 years but we broke that trend by trading in my 2012 Outback 2.5i Limited that just ticked over 2 years old.

The only extras were the 7 year/100k $0 deductible Gold Plus warranty (no modding plans) and $600 wheel/tire replacement warranty.

One bummer is that when they removed the dealer badge on the back it pulled two small specs of paint with it. There were also two small surface scratches on the back of the trunk. The salesman is going to give me a loaner Wed morning on the way to work and fix both for me so I can pick it back up Wed night. That's fine with me, I have to drop off our down payment and the rest of the Outback keys anyway so no biggie.

Best pics I have right now are with my potatocam, attached.
Congrats on the awesome ride!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie View Post
Nice. Dealer badging sucks. They should know better than to put one on an STI.
I don't let them put that stuff on my cars unless they are gonna give me a hefty advertising discount on the car.
__________________
Aaron
'15 WRB WRX STi Launch Edition
EFI-101, EFI Advanced, EFILive-101, Variable Camshaft Tuning
EFI University Evangelist
405HP_Z06 is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-25-14, 05:58 AM   #4
iainb
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fav Mod: Right foot.
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: May 2014
Location: NoVA
iainb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Iain's Launch Edition '15 Sti

Yea, unfortunately it was already on the car. The front bumper was also drilled already.
iainb is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-14, 07:03 PM   #5
iainb
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fav Mod: Right foot.
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: May 2014
Location: NoVA
iainb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Iain's Launch Edition '15 Sti

We drove for about 4 hours today. The great thing about living in the sticks is that there are TONS of back, country roads. Even having to keep the car under 4k rpm didn't matter much, it had plenty of balls in the lower range.
iainb is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-14, 10:48 AM   #6
steveo
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fav Mod: TBD
My Threads
Posts: 289
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Woodbine, MD
steveo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Iain's Launch Edition '15 Sti

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainb View Post
Hi there, new member to the forums!



We left the house Saturday morning with the intent to go test drive an '08 M3 Sedan and go to see Spider-Man at the local Alamo Drafthouse. Only the first stop actually happened...



We test drove the M3 at a local BMW dealer and it was awesome, but there were issues with the car that made it a bit of a scary/worrying proposition. We have never bought a used car before and that in and of itself is scary but there were expensive things the car was going to need in the immediate future that made it a little hard to swallow.



On the way there we were driving through Fairfax and passed the Subaru dealership. Out front was a previous gen STi and we made a plan to come back after looking at the M3. My wife absolutely loves that gen and it was in black which she liked even more.



So after the M3 test drive we headed back to the Subie dealer and the spot that the STi was in was empty. We swung back around, pulled in and we saw it in the back of the lot getting washed. Of course our first thought was that it was being sold so we got out and headed in to find out. Right outside the door they had a new '15 silver WRX parked and I mentioned it to my wife and she immediately said, "it's ugly, I don't want a new one". Ok, we walked in and before the manager Sam even introduced himself my wife blurted out, "Did you sell that black STi!!!" He started laughing and said no, it they were just giving it a wash because it looked awful. My wife was visibly relieved and we said we were interested in it and wanted to drive it. At this point I realized that my wife was serious about this car. :P



While we waited for them to copy my license and get the car ready I noticed that in the back of the showroom was a brand new, 2015 STi Launch Edition. Man, this car is stunning! I walked around it, dragged my wife over to her repeated, "I don't like it, it's not mean enough, etc" comments.



Anyway, they told us the used STi was ready so we went and checked it out. The car was a 2012 sedan with 20k miles on it and had a cpo warranty up to 100k. It drove awesome, was clean inside and out and, honestly, we were ready to buy it. Part of me was a little bummed because in terms of tech and comforts it was a downgrade from my Outback. The bluetooth was even worse, it didn't have any cool gadgets, etc but it was an STi that I was going to be driving daily and that was more then enough to push those no-tech fears out of my mind.



We went back inside to start talking numbers, trade, etc and I kept looking at the '15. The salesman had to get some paperwork so I walked over to the tower and asked if someone had the key for the new one. A few minutes later they brought the key over and I got in and turned the car on. I wanted to see all the gadgetry and stuff. The second I turned on the car I knew I had to have it. :P It was light years ahead of the previous gen car in terms of gadgets, etc. I dragged my wife in and at that point she was sold on it too knowing that I'd be driving it every day and had to live with it day-to-day.



I asked for a test drive and the manager said they weren't doing test drives (the car only had 8 miles on it) but if we got to a point in the paperwork and it was contingent on a test drive then we could do it. We talked trade-in (I had a guaranteed trade-in price through Subaru), talked price and a few minutes later they were moving cars in the showroom to get the Launch Edition out the door.



Now, I haven't had a lot of seat time in STi cars in general but you could tell immediately that the new STi was much improved over the previous model. Even though the engine is the same it felt a lot different. Granted some of that had to do with the other car being broken in, but still, it was clear almost immediately that the newer car was the better car.



We put about 5 miles on it during the test drive and brought it back. When we walked in the manager knew he had us. A couple hours of paper work later we said goodbye to my 2-year old Outback and drove home in our new STi.



Potatopics, at the dealer:

Image Link




and at home:

Image Link




This is the first true "performance" car that I've owned and I am insanely excited to have it. It's also the first manual car I've owned in 14 years. Now I just gotta get out of that 1k mile break-in period, which will mostly be spent in traffic on 66 during my commute.



After we got home we were cleaning up and getting ready to make something to eat and my wife heard people outside. When she looked out both of our neighbors were standing around the car looking at it.



The only extras were the 7 year/100k $0 deductible Gold Plus warranty (no modding plans) and $600 wheel/tire replacement warranty.



One bummer is that when they removed the dealer badge on the back it pulled two small specs of paint with it. There were also two small surface scratches on the back of the trunk. The salesman is going to give me a loaner Wed morning on the way to work and fix both for me so I can pick it back up Wed night. That's fine with me, I have to drop off our down payment and the rest of the Outback keys anyway so no biggie.

Congrats man! You aren't too far from me. And oh man, 66 has to be one of the worst roads in the world, seriously. Everytime I turn on DC101 or 106.7 The Fan and hear the traffic report, "66E/66W(afternoon) has an overturned tractor trailer.." Or something to that effect. I love my LE and am so glad I got it. If you ever do want to do any "light" mods check out MachV in NoVa. They know their stuff with Subarus. Or if you don't mind the drive up toward my way in MD, IAG Performance.

I opted out if the extended warranty, but did get the wheel/tire warranty due to the roads in the DMV area.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
steveo is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 03:32 AM   #7
iainb
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fav Mod: Right foot.
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: May 2014
Location: NoVA
iainb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Iain's Launch Edition '15 Sti

Yea, 66... I'm about to do my first commute in the car this morning. We'll see how it goes, lol.

I've seen MachV plate frames a bunch in the area and I've heard good things.

First order of business is to get the windows tinted. My Outback had 20% all around but will do 40-50% on this like we did with my wife's GTI. The black interior just soaks up the sun and heat. I also need to pick up a pair of Hella horns, the stock horn is so wimpy.

We drove for another three hours yesterday, the car is up to 300 miles now. I also filled it up for the first time, just under 14 gallons with and we were on E for a good 10 miles. Tiny tank is tiny.
iainb is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 04:10 AM   #8
bboytaktix
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Qc, Canada
bboytaktix has a spectacular aura aboutbboytaktix has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Iain's Launch Edition '15 Sti

congrats, great choice! awesome looking car. Glad your wife was on board with it too, that's always fun!!!
bboytaktix is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 04:12 AM   #9
steveo
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fav Mod: TBD
My Threads
Posts: 289
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Woodbine, MD
steveo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Iain's Launch Edition '15 Sti

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainb View Post
Yea, 66... I'm about to do my first commute in the car this morning. We'll see how it goes, lol.



I've seen MachV plate frames a bunch in the area and I've heard good things.



First order of business is to get the windows tinted. My Outback had 20% all around but will do 40-50% on this like we did with my wife's GTI. The black interior just soaks up the sun and heat. I also need to pick up a pair of Hella horns, the stock horn is so wimpy.



We drove for another three hours yesterday, the car is up to 300 miles now. I also filled it up for the first time, just under 14 gallons with and we were on E for a good 10 miles. Tiny tank is tiny.

I drove around about 60 miles yesterday going to a few stores and it was hot! I'm getting it tinted this Saturday, it's a must for the summer. I haven't decided how dark I want. MD Legal is 35%, and I'll probably stick with that. I don't want to give cops any reason to pull me over


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
steveo is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-14, 07:07 AM   #10
iainb
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fav Mod: Right foot.
My Subaru Parts for sale

Join Date: May 2014
Location: NoVA
iainb will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Iain's Launch Edition '15 Sti

35% would be nice. VA is 50% front, 35% the rest... Different percentages looks weird, that's why we went with just 50% on the GTI and it's actually fine.
iainb is offline  
Likes 0 Dislikes 0
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Giancarlo's STI "蓝龙" Launch Edition Build Journal GiancarloRedSTI 2015+ Member Journals 10 06-18-14 07:30 AM
My journey from 14 5.0 stang to 2015 sti launch edition scarlett 2015+ Member Journals 71 05-29-14 05:57 PM
Other In need of help! Launch Edition won't unlock from inside. zXrunner 2015+ STI Discussion 8 05-16-14 02:47 PM
Photo/Video Nice launch edition video Dasanii19 2015+ STI Discussion 8 03-31-14 07:03 PM
Hundreds of the 1000 Launch Edition STI'S already produced eclipsefloyd STI Prices, Rates, Ordering, Options, Tracking Discussions 24 03-14-14 12:58 PM


New To Site? Need Help? More

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Designed & Powered by Domain Architect
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.