gargleblaster
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Frontal Lobotomy
My Subaru Parts for sale

gargleblaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default gargleblaster's 2015 STi Journal

Welcome to my Journal!

It's a bit sparse right now, but will grow at delivery time and as mods are done.

Contents:

Introduction and history of my Subarus

My non-Subaru cars

Delivery Day!
Attached Thumbnails
gargleblaster's 2015 STi Journal-3872-x-2592_dsc_2708-2710-jpg  

Last edited by gargleblaster; 06-29-14 at 02:05 PM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-14, 10:40 AM   #2
gargleblaster
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default My Subarus

Ordered on 3/6/2014 from Clint at Heuberger (my local dealer), a base 2015 STi in CWP. Options are STI SSK, all weather mats, and Homelink Mirror.

The current journal image is not my car, but will be what it looks like when it arrives in August.

This will be my third STi, and my fourth WRX overall.

First was a 2002 WRX Wagon which had the very first version of Cobb AccessPort installed to go to Stage 1. I eventually put upgraded suspension, brakes and wheel/tire combo on this car as well (no pics at that state) before moving on to the next car.

After the wagon came a 2005 STi in Crystal Grey Metallic. This car remained mostly stock, with the only upgrades being front and rear sways and endlinks, upgraded audio, the Rally Armor flaps, and the winter Rota wheel/tire combo you see here.

After messing in the Euro scene for a while, I came back to Subaru with a 2010 GR Hatch in Obsidian Black Pearl. This car was upgraded to Stage 1 AP, Race Comp RG Yellows, Whiteline front and rear sways with KartBoy endlinks, Magnaflow exhaust, Rally Armor flaps, JVC head unit, Supertones in black, tint, front lip, and some other smaller touches.

That car went away in favor of more Euro cars, but now it's time to come back once again to another STi, simply because of roads like this:

that get really crummy in wintertime. The STi is the perfect car for where I live, and I'm glad to get back into one later this year.

Immediate plans will be for mud flaps, upgraded audio, C light DRL conversion, clear bra and tint, winter tires for OEM wheels, Supertones, TapTurn, and V1 hardwire. Will likely go to Stage 2 E85 at some point once the stock power gets boring.

Last edited by gargleblaster; 03-29-14 at 04:58 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-29-14, 10:41 AM   #3
gargleblaster
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default My Non-Subaru Vehicles

The other cars between my STi's:

2006 Volvo V70R. 300hp, 6MT, AWD, super comfy doctor wagon. Nothing covered miles faster and in more comfort than this car. However, it was heavy and ultimately expensive to keep up.

After changing the Volvo for my GR, I traded the GR in for a 2012 335is. This car had a JB4 upgrade, which made for a nice bump in power. Unfortunately when pushed really hard, the car rolled around a lot, and the added power meant running thru tires like nobody's business.

The Bimmer went away in favor of a 2006 Cayman S, which I currently drive whenever the weather and road conditions allow. And that's the real problem with the Cayman - even with winter tires, it's a little dicey to drive here in the mountains for four seasons.

And now the car which I will never sell, my 2000 Honda S2000:

This is an AP1, so it revs to 9k and has no traction or stability control. This car was bought off eBay for the auction's opening price, and I drove it back to Colorado from Idaho through a February winter storm. Needless to say, that was an interesting experience. From that point, the car has been enjoyed in various stages of build from stock to not-so-stock.

The car now has:
  • Sciene of Speed Stage 1 Supercharger
  • Buddy Club N-Spec Racing Coilovers
  • OZ Racing Allegrita HLT wheels in 17"
  • T1R V70RT Titanium catback
  • Berk test pipe
  • Science of Speed LW Flywheel (9lbs)
  • Science of Speed Sport Clutch
  • APR CF wide view side mirrors
  • Challenge CF bumper cap (to cover the dual exhaust outlet)
  • lots of other stuff I can't think of now

As it's now built, this car is faster and more fun to drive than my Cayman, and has the added benefit of Honda durability and cost of maintenance. So the Honda stays and the Cayman goes in favor of my '15 STi.

Last edited by gargleblaster; 03-29-14 at 04:57 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-14, 11:19 AM   #4
gargleblaster
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Delivery Day!

Delivery Day - 6/19/14!

Finally!!

Initial impressions:

The handling is vastly improved over my '10 STi. Response to inputs reminds me of my Cayman, as does the ability to dial in more steering input and still have the car react. I haven't pushed really hard yet, but the car is very agile up at around 6/10's. Once the tires are better scrubbed in, I can give some more feedback here.

Steering feel is also much improved, although still a little lighter feeling than it could be. No real complaints though.

Fit & Finish is great for a Subie; good compared to other cars in this price bracket. No real surprise there.

Seating position feels too high as others have commented. Upper side bolstering is quite nice, but the bottom cushion needs more rake and support. These will need to be upgraded at some point.

Factory short throw is spot on for my taste.

Kicker upgraded speakers sound better than the typical stock speakers, but the HU still seems underpowered as in previous gens. The integration is pretty good. One may consider just adding an external amp instead of a full HU replacement. I'm already invested in stuff to do a full swap, so I'm going to continue down that path.

First mod is already done... 3M clear bra strips at the trunk corners to hopefully avoid chipping.

Last edited by gargleblaster; 06-19-14 at 07:45 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-31-14, 10:35 AM   #5
ha-evolution
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 25mm Perrin rear sway bar
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ha-evolution is on a distinguished road
Default Re: gargleblaster's 2015 STi Journal

Nice roster of cars you have there. How does the S2K compare to the Coxster?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-31-14, 12:23 PM   #6
HeubergerMotors
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Car: Silver 2018 STi
Fav Mod: Exhaust. gotta love a good sounding machine.
My Subaru Parts for sale

HeubergerMotors will become famous soon enough

wow I want to take the picture where you took the Porsche!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-31-14, 05:07 PM   #7
gargleblaster
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha-evolution View Post
Nice roster of cars you have there. How does the S2K compare to the Coxster?
Thanks!

The Coxster has a level of sophistication that the S2K doesn't. Interior wise it's obviously no contest, especially with my car having full leather interior. It also benefits from the true mid-ship engine placement compared to the Honda. You can feel the weight transfer and rotation motions so much more clearly in the Porsche than in the Honda. Much better sense of traction as well with the rear-bias weight distribution.

The direct shifter linkage in the Honda blows away the Cayman's, which is a cable setup by necessity in order to deal with the engine being in front of the transmission. The electric power assist in the Honda isn't that far behind the Cayman's hydraulic setup, despite what you typically read about EPS in reviews. The Honda is a smaller car, and is a bit easier to place on the road than the Cayman. The Cayman is much more practical with two storage areas, but it's a total PITA to work on with the mid-engine all surrounded by body work and frame. Finally, dropping the top on the Honda and rapping that motor out to 9,000 RPM gives a noise that's not found in many other vehicles. The Cayman's flat six at 7,000 RPM isn't too shabby either.

Cost of upkeep is the main difference between the cars. $100 oil change DIY for the Cayman vs. about $40 for the Honda. Tires, OEM parts, etc, etc all add up quickly on the Cayman, whereas the Honda is... a Honda.

They are both truly wonderful solutions to the two seat sports car puzzle. You can definitely tell where the extra $30k MSRP goes in the Porsche, but driving in anger on a two lane back road, they're both very rewarding to the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeubergerMotors View Post
wow I want to take the picture where you took the Porsche!
The pic with all the pink clouds is in a different spot than the others. They are both about an hour give or take west of the Springs. I'd be happy to show you where and shoot your GT-R when you've got it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-31-14, 05:08 PM   #8
HeubergerMotors
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Car: Silver 2018 STi
Fav Mod: Exhaust. gotta love a good sounding machine.
My Subaru Parts for sale

HeubergerMotors will become famous soon enough
Default gargleblaster's 2015 STi Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargleblaster View Post
Thanks!

The Coxster has a level of sophistication that the S2K doesn't. Interior wise it's obviously no contest, especially with my car having full leather interior. It also benefits from the true mid-ship engine placement compared to the Honda. You can feel the weight transfer and rotation motions so much more clearly in the Porsche than in the Honda. Much better sense of traction as well with the rear-bias weight distribution.

The direct shifter linkage in the Honda blows away the Cayman's, which is a cable setup by necessity in order to deal with the engine being in front of the transmission. The electric power assist in the Honda isn't that far behind the Cayman's hydraulic setup, despite what you typically read about EPS in reviews. The Honda is a smaller car, and is a bit easier to place on the road than the Cayman. The Cayman is much more practical with two storage areas, but it's a total PITA to work on with the mid-engine all surrounded by body work and frame. Finally, dropping the top on the Honda and rapping that motor out to 9,000 RPM gives a noise that's not found in many other vehicles. The Cayman's flat six at 7,000 RPM isn't too shabby either.

They are both truly wonderful solutions to the two seat sports car puzzle. You can definitely tell where the extra $30k MSRP goes in the Porsche, but driving in anger on a two lane back road, they're both very rewarding to the driver.

The pic with all the pink clouds is in a different spot than the others. They are both about an hour give or take west of the Springs. I'd be happy to show you where and shoot your GT-R when you've got it.
Lol silly I'm a pro photographer clintearhart.com I t looks stunning
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-31-14, 05:11 PM   #9
gargleblaster
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeubergerMotors View Post
Lol silly I'm a pro photographer clintearhart.com I t looks stunning
LOL, I'd still like to shoot a GT-R. :P

I'll PM you locations.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-01-14, 02:47 PM   #10
Malarky
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: '15 WRX STI LE
Fav Mod: GTX3076
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Malarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Care to share any more information about the S2K? Beautiful collection of cars!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement