GD: Mickle's 07 STi: 344WHP&406WTQ: It's race season!! - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Mickle's 07 STi: 344WHP&406WTQ: It's race season!!
Mickle's 07 STi: 344WHP&406WTQ: It's race season!!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Mickle's 07 STi: 344WHP&406WTQ: It's race season!!

Old 04-19-11, 02:24 PM   #1
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: SCCA Membership / Flares
My Subaru Parts for sale

mickle is on a distinguished road
Default Mickle's 07 STi: 344WHP&406WTQ: It's race season!!

Welcome to my journal. The purpose of this journal is two fold. Firstly I will be using it as a place to store information and data as well as track my progress and the status of the car. Secondly I would like to write it in such a way that the information will be useful to others. I intend to accomplish this by sharing stories, writing reviews, and also linking to other members/sites that I have found useful. Constructive comments and suggestions are welcome.

I've had my STi since the end of 2006. I didn't do anything with it really for the first two years because of the warranty and my ex sucking most of my money away. Once the warranty was almost gone and the ex was, well, the ex I started to really enjoy the car. In 2008 I attended an autox in my then beater car (92 Honda del Sol). I was hooked, and in the beginning of 2009 I started autox'ing the STi. For 2009 I ran in B Stock (well A stock then) only picking up a front sway bar and some 275 Kumho V710's and a few other "non performance" upgrades. Partially through 2010 I had a brake line leak so I upgraded to stainless lines all around. This bumped me out of stock and wanting to continue using the V710's I opted to go to B Street Prepared. Once the 2011 season was underway I was still under prepared for BSP but I still had a blast doing it. My girlfriend, Sandi, is very supportive and has even begun autoxing as well. I have done many other mods ever since I started browsing this web site and digging in to the wealth of information that is here (see below for the full list). Thanks to all that have put this site together!

Fall 2012 update: I killed the motor at the end of the autox season at around 117.5K miles. As of December the new motor is in progress

Spring 2013 update: The motor was finished and tuned to 344 WHP and 406 WTQ. The car was also fitted with fender flares and a set of 275's and 295's both on 18X10.5" wheels. Also installed a new bigger radiator when the OEM one cracked only a week before the race season started.

Current Alignment:

Camber: -3.5F / -2.5R
Toe: 1/8" out F / 0R

Upgrades and mods that are done (Ordered/Waiting to install):

Wheels & Tires:
-Enkei RPF1 Black 18x10.5 +15 w/BFG R1-S' 315/30 r18
-Miro 398 Black 18x10.5 +20 w/Kumho Ecsta XS 275/35 r18
-Stock BBS 17X8 wheels w/ Hankook winter ipike 225 45 r17
-ARP extended wheel studs
-Muteki open ended lug nuts

Brakes:
-Hawk HP+ race pads (post #4)
-SS braided brake lines
-NAPA blank rotors
-Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace

Interior:
-Corbeau FX1 Pro's
-Schroth 4 point rally harnesses
-"STi" Seat Belt Pads
-AutoMeter Triple Gauge Glove Box Pod
-GlowShift Red LED Digital Fuel Pressure Gauge (post #98)
-GlowShift Red LED Digital Boost Gauge(post #98)
-GlowShift Red LED Digital Oil Pressure Gauge
-GlowShift Red LED Digital Oil Temp Gauge
-DIY center console dual gauge bezel (post #98)
-Power outlet/Aux port relocated to arm rest console (post #98)

Exterior:
-V Limited replica front lip (post #2)
-Disabled D.R.L. (How-to thread)
-Blacked out headlights (post #2)
-Karlton Flares!
-Grimmspeed Hood Struts

Suspension/Bushings:
-Fortune Auto V5 Coilovers 15k/15k Swift Springs
-Swift Helper springs
-Whiteline Camber Bolts (rear) (Currently uninstalled)
-Whiteline 27mm Front Swaybar (post #6)
-Whiteline 24mm Rear Swaybar (post #6) (Currently uninstalled)
-Whiteline Solid Endlinks Front (post #6)
-Whiteline Spherical Endlinks Rear
-Whiteline Steering Rack Bushing Kit
-Whiteline Rear Strut Bar
-Fortune Auto Rear Camber Plates
-04-06 Front Control Arms
-Whiteline Caster Bushings

Engine/Power/Exhaust: (fresh motor build early 2013)
-2012 Short Block
-New OEM 11mm Oil pump
-New VF43 Turbo
-Gates Timing Belt kit w/pump
-NGK I IX Spark Plugs 1 Step Colder
-MAW TGV Deletes
-SS Braided Turbo/AVCS Oil lines
-ARP Head Studs
-KillerB oil pickup/tray
-DW Injectors 850cc
-GrimmSpeed EBCS
-K&N Typhoon Intake
-ETS TMIC
-Greddy Magnetic Drain Plug
-Tomei EL Header/Up pipe kit
-B&B Cat-less Downpipe (post#41)
-Apexi WS Noir cat back exhaust
-Grimmspeed exhaust gaskets
-Cobb access port
-BrenTuning ProTune (344WHP/406WTQ)
-Boost dependent I/C spray mod (How-to thread)
-Removed intake resinator
-Air pump system deleted
-Walbro 255 fuel pump (post #63)
-Glowshift Oil Filter Sandwich Adapter
-Odyssey PC680
-Moroso AOS
-PTP Turbo Blanket
-COBB Turbo Heat Shield
-Koyo Racing radiator

Transmission/Drivetrain
-Exedy Stage 2 HD Clutch Kit
-ACT Streetlite Flywheel
-Perrin Rear Differential Bushings
-Perrin Shifter Bushings
-Torque Solutions Shifter Rear Stay Bushing
-Torqe Solutions Motor Mounts
-Torque Solutions Pitchstop
-Beatrush Transmission Mount
-Whiteline Positive Shift Bushing Kit
-OSGiken Rear Differential

Weight savings:
-Removed air pump -8.5lbs
-Downpipe -12lbs
-Spare tire and jack -30lbs
-Flywheel -11.7lbs
-Coilovers -
-Battery -16.5lbs
-Header -
-A/C Removed - 22.5lbs
-Bucket seats -

OEM curb weight - 3351
7/21/13 w/ half tank and prepped for AutoX - 3212
6/13/15 w/ half tank and prepped for AutoX - 3150
6/14/15 w/ just over 1/4 tank in AutoX prep - 3090 (60# less is too much for 1/4 tank less gas, must not have been on the scales properly)

Things I want to do next:

-More bushings
-Step up the diet: rotors, steering wheel, radio...
-Grillcraft screens

Thanks to Ed Savage and others for most of the action shots contained in this journal.
Attached Thumbnails
Mickle's 07 STi: 344WHP&406WTQ: It's race season!!-stigrass-jpg  

Last edited by mickle; 06-16-15 at 04:07 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-11, 11:44 AM   #2
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Mickle's 2007 OBP STi

Some pics to show the painted headlights and tail light covers:

When painting the headlights I used the Fusion flat black. I opted to paint over the entire inner housing because the passenger side had been backed into by some idiot that just took off. In doing so they didn't break the lens but it broke the piece of plastic inside that surrounds the headlight itself. I used epoxy to put it back together before painting. Once painted you can't even see that it was broken.

Also in this pic is the replica front lip. Certainly not as nice as the real ones but considering where it is located I'd rather not spend a ton just to ruin it (it has already bottomed out twice at stock height).

The Headlight Armor covers are the 30% tint. As you can see in the pic they are very dark when in the shade. With sun light on them the bottom half becomes more transparent and has a kind of brownish tint to it. I am sure the 50% tint version looks even better but I don't need a ticket for that. Overall I am very happy with the look, I was never a fan of all the chrome (Hence the dark theme).
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-20-11, 12:03 PM   #3
JV9124
Advanced Contributor Level 2

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

JV9124 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice car! What part of MA do you live in? Where do you auto-x?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-11, 12:11 PM   #4
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Mickle's 2007 OBP STi: Brake Pads

I thought I would share my thoughts and experience with the different brake pads that I have used:

Stock Subaru: $400
Ferodo DS2500: $300
Hawk HP+: $200

Just before I stared autoxing I needed new pads. The stock set had lasted me about two years with only street driving. I called a dealership and they quoted me the $400 for the set and tried to get me to come in for a full brake job for $1000. I passed on the offer.

After a few recommendations I decided to go with the Ferodo DS2500's. Considering that they are a better pad for autox and $100 cheaper I was happy with the idea. When I got them from KNS I found that two of the pads had been damaged inside the box. KNS got a new set right out to me just in time for the fist event of the season. As one would expect, these pads made a bit more noise and dust but had a much improved feel to them over stock. They also lasted about as long as the stock pads but this time they served as DD and autox pads so I was very happy they held up so long.

4/11:This spring while prepping the car for the beginning of the 2011 autox season I found that it was time for new pads again. This time I decided to try out the Hawk pads. I spent a little time trying to decide between the HPS and the Plus, and decided that I don't use the car for a DD as much any more that I should go for the more aggressive ones. I also replaced all four rotors this time around with new blanks. I have been using these pads for a few weeks now and couldn't be happier. Yes they are even louder and dirtier than the DS2500's but they feel even better as well. This could be partially because of the fresh rotors though. I think these pads would be overkill for people who only use the car on the street unless you get cut off as much as I do here in MA, then they come in pretty handy! Mickle's 07 STi: 344WHP&406WTQ: It's race season!!

*Update*: 5/11 After a few autox's this season I am really loving these pads. They stop amazingly! I even had a chance to let someone else who had autox'ed my car before, take the car for a run. He was hugely impressed with the improved stopping power, so much that he may be getting some HP+'s for his car!

Oh, and on a side note, I have only snapped one caliper bolt off to date and was lucky enough to be able to drill it out and save the threads. Always use anti-seize!!

*Update*: 8/12 I just ordered up a new set of the HP+ for the front. I have to say, noise and dust aside, these pads lasted me very well for the money. I expect to be able to finish out this autox season with the previous set but wanted to get/have a new set ready and waiting. This means that I will get a little under two years out of a set of the fronts but that is with ~40 autox's (Avg 7 or more runs per event) on them as well as DD.

7/13/15: My estimate of a two year cycle for pads wasn't far off. Made it almost 3 years this time for the front pads. Ordered a new set today. I haven't hit the wear indicators yet but expect to soon.

Last edited by mickle; 07-13-15 at 12:59 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-20-11, 12:13 PM   #5
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV9124 View Post
Nice car! What part of MA do you live in? Where do you auto-x?
I was living in Pepperell (near Nashua NH) but recently moved to Woburn. I autox with NER (SCCA) and Renegade Miata club. They both run mainly in the old Devens air strip in Ayer, MA.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-20-11, 12:28 PM   #6
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Mickle's 2007 OBP STi: Sway bars

My sway bar story so far:

I stared off my autox experience in B Stock, and the rules there didn't allow much but front sway bars are unlimited (since then the rules have changed and you can do either the front or the rear bar). I was recommended to the large Strano bar but decided it wasn't worth the hassle of the hard to fit part as well as the worry of breaking off the mounts. I ended up ordering the Whiteline 27mm bar with endlinks. The install was straight forward and the effect was felt immediately.

Once switching out of the stock class (because of SS brake lines!) I decided to add a bigger rear bar as well, since I was running stock suspension still. I opted to stick with Whiteline and went with the 24mm adjustable bar. The feel of the car was once again improved however that's when I started consistently lifting the rear tire. Not just on the track but also anywhere on the road that I am turning and going up even a slight incline at the same time.

*I put the rear bar on the "full soft" setting but I am still having the issue. This week I will be adjusting the front bar to the softer setting before the next autox this Sat to see if it helps. I have a feeling that it will still be over powering the stock suspension and I am probably SOL until I get some coilovers or put my stock rear bar back on...

*I ran the local autox this past Sat (See post #12) with the sways bar set to soft. The car felt good but it was a very wet event so I couldn't get enough grip to get a good impression on the changes, maybe next weekend. On the road there has been a decent improvement but I still get some lift on inclined corners.

*Update* 5-33-11 After running the most recent autox (See post #15) with both sway bars set to full soft I am still having lifting issues but it has improved some. I am currently adjusting the lines I take to help improve this as well.

*Update* 4-29-12 I now have coilovers on the car with higher than average spring rates. This has definitely compounded the rear lift issues on the street. I can't say for sure how I feel at the last 2 autox's as they were at different locations with very different courses. The last event, however, was at a small lot, it was a tight course and it was rather bumpy. The car was "hopping" all over the place so I ended up setting my shocks to full soft and eventually even disconnected the rear sway bar completely (see post #127 for details). This helped out a lot (for that course) but I am reserving my judgement until I try it out like that at our regular venue. I very well might be putting my factory bar back on or even loosing the rear bar all together, we shall see...

*Update* 6-6-12 I am back to my stock rear sway bar. I tried running with the Whiteline bar on soft and with it disconnected. I was definitely faster with the bar connected than without but the oversteer is on a razors edge. I have since put my stock bar back on with the Whiteline endlinks. I have yet to autox with this setup but I am hoping since this bar fits right between the Whiteline 24mm and no bar, that the results will land squarely with a balance of stability and rotation. I have also added rear camber plates to get more negative camber to hopefully help keep the rear planted.

*Update*10-15-13 I have run most of this season without a rear bar connected. I went much bigger and wider with the tires and track of the car and the rear lift wasn't as bad as before but I wanted to try it out. The problem with no rear bar was always that the car wouldn't rotate as easily. With a few alignment changes I was able to compensate for that and get the best of both worlds. Now the car will rotate as well as keep that rear tire down (99.9% of the time). I've also just installed an OSGiken rear diff and I have heard that this may help keep the tire down by locking and forcing the car to rotate a little. We shall see how I like it at the last two events of this season.

Last edited by mickle; 10-15-13 at 02:21 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-20-11, 01:12 PM   #7
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Mickle's 2007 OBP STi: 4/10/11 autox

Below is an example of how the 1st autox of this season went! Luckily this was a non-points event! But really this was my first run of the season on cold tires, guess I tried a little to hard. Had a great time as usual. Somehow I managed 3rd out of 6 in BSP. The class consisted of 3 other drivers in STi's a Corvette ZR1 and an RX8. I lost out to one driver in an STi and the vette. As for the others: Acejam2k's STi was not prepared (no coilovers on yet since winter, and no slicks) the RX8 was rather unprepared for the class and the last STi driver was not the owner of his car. (correction: apparently the last STi's driver, drewski, is newer to autox)

(On a positive not, I managed to keep from DNF'ing this run!)

Last edited by mickle; 04-24-11 at 09:19 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-20-11, 01:21 PM   #8
Acejam2k
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: For those 13 seconds or less, I'm free!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Acejam2k is on a distinguished road

The middle pic in the above post is nuts.

That is all.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-20-11, 01:23 PM   #9
mickle
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acejam2k View Post
The middle pic in the above post is nuts.

That is all.
Yes it was quite fun but doesn't make for a fast time (57.XX +2, IIRC)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-21-11, 04:19 AM   #10
drewski
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Boost!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

drewski is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey man car is looking good... I was in the WRB STI with r-comps the first event at NER a few weeks ago, my friend John beat me in my own car . I'm going to go with the excuse that he's been autocrossing a couple years longer than me
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement