IW STi Forum banner

Zzyzx85's 2011 STI - Daily Driver gone Weekend Project?

GR Hatch: 
63K views 167 replies 30 participants last post by  bue car 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello IWSTI!

After waiting 8+ weeks (from 11/15/10 to 1/18/11), I picked up my '11 Dark Gray Metallic STI 5-door from Renick Subaru.

options ordered:
  • wheel locks
  • seat back cargo net
  • rear cargo net
  • cargo tray
  • Homelink and auto-dimming mirror

Goal: A reliable all-around car capable of daily driving in all weather and holding up to multiple HPDE per year.

Build List (planned)
Engine:
  • Cobb Accessport
  • AEM CAI
  • Tomei Expreme EL headers
  • Invidia catted divorced downpipe
  • Harman Motive/AQ cat back
  • Killer B oil pickup and windage tray
  • Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS
  • IAG Street AOS
  • DW65C fuel pump
  • TGV deletes
  • Perrin 3" turbo inlet
  • ID1000 fuel injectors
  • GD style fuel pressure regulator
  • Setrab engine oil cooler
  • Blouch Dom 1.5XTR w/ 3" inlet and 10cm hotside

Chassis/Drivetrain:
  • WL steering rack bushings
  • KB pitch stop mount
  • KB front and rear shifter pivot mounts
  • WL rear diff inserts
  • WL rear subframe inserts
  • Kartboy/TIC TallBoy Shifter
  • TiC crossmember bushings
  • TiC shifter linkage bushings
  • Cusco crossmember brace
  • Cusco lower arm brace
  • PST carbon fiber driveshaft
  • Cusco steering rack stiffener brace
  • 2015 STI steering rack

Suspension:
  • WL 24mm front/22mm rear adjustable sway bars w/ Kartboy endlinks
  • various bushings
  • JRZ RS Pro coilovers (here). 200 psi nitrogen
  • 450 lb-in Eibach springs (~8 kg-mm) all-around
  • Vorschlag front camber plates
  • modified stock rear top hats
  • Cusco rear lower lateral arms
Removed/uninstalled:
- prototype Swift Spec R Sport springs (Front: 6.0 kg/mm (335 lb/in), Rear: 7.2 kg/mm (402 lb/in))

Wheels and Tires:
  • OE BBS - Hankook Ventus R-S3 - track
  • Enkei RC-T4 - all-season touring/daily
  • Volk RE30 - 18x9 +40 - summer daily

Brakes:
  • DBA 5000 2-piece front rotors
  • CL RC6E pads (front), RC6 (rear)
  • StopTech Street Performance Pads (street)
  • StopTech Stainless steel braided lines
  • Motul RBF600 brake fluid
  • DIY brake cooling ducts with Quantum Motorsports backing plates
Done:
  • OE brake pads
  • CL RC5+ pads

Interior:
  • windows tinted (50% front, 20% rear)
  • WC Lathewerks co-polymer teardrop shifter
  • ProSport Premium boost gauge
  • Weathertech floor liners
  • fixed back bucket seat (Sparco Evo II US) (here)
  • CGLock for passenger
  • Defi Advance ZD - oil pressure and temp, water temp (here)
  • AFR meter

Exterior:
  • Rally Armor Urethane mudflaps w/ red lettering (uninstalled)
  • VentureShield PPF
  • JNA V-limited replica front lip
  • Blue Bat rear overlays (cutout style)
  • foglamp delete (for brake ducts)

Lap Times
  • Horse Thief Mile CW: 1:10.4 (April 2011)
  • Streets of Willow CCW: 1:34.9 (August 2011)
  • Buttonwillow 13CW: 2:13.2 (March 2013)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Re: Zzyzx85's DGM '11 STi 5-door

Thanks man! Yeah, I'm glad they came out with dark gray on the GR and the fact that the '11 have darker BBS wheels just sealed the deal. Definitely gives it a low key, stealthy look that I need living in SoCal lol. I also love how the color sorta changes depending on the light.

#5 · (Edited)

The streets are Orangethorpe and Euclid in Fullerton. It was taken in the lot of Renick Subaru/Cadillac.

Are you from the north OC area as well, czecho?

edit:
I should probably mention this as well but I experienced some weird brake noises yesterday on the way home from work. I had come across a traffic light that had turned yellow. After checking behind me so I don't get butt-eff'ed, I decided to brake for it so I did. I basically did a 40 to 0 stop in what felt like 50 feet. Just at the point of hitting ABS. Soon after I noticed a metallic clicking/pinging noise whenever I moderately pressed on the brakes that sounded like it was coming from the front left corner. So I drove home, parked it, and started searching here lol. Didn't come to any conclusions so I drove around the block a few hours later to see if the noise was still there. It didn't show up so I'm guessing something got too hot?

#6 ·

Congrats :tup:

#9 ·

Thanks!

I hit 1000 miles just as I was pulling into the driveway. Moved the rev buzzer up to 4500 rpm.

Now I'm thinking of mods lol.
That's funny about the miles... I got mine 1 day after you and we're right there at 1,000 together haha. What are the first few things you're going to do now? Sure is fun not having to shift right under 4K anymore. Too bad it's been raining/icy ever since I clicked over so I have to be super careful

#10 ·

I'm sure we'll be side by side on the mileage until one of us takes a road trip haha. When's your car's build date? Mine is 12/10.

I'm planning on getting an AP to go Stage 1 and a front lip. I'm still trying to get a hold of tinting and clearbra. The AP probably won't happen until after the first oil change.

#11 ·

I'm sure we'll be side by side on the mileage until one of us takes a road trip haha. When's your car's build date? Mine is 12/10.

I'm planning on getting an AP to go Stage 1 and a front lip. I'm still trying to get a hold of tinting and clearbra. The AP probably won't happen until after the first oil change.
Well since they made me the wrong car (a 4-door), it would have been 12/10 but the exact match they found me in Michigan for my hatch was 10/10. Funny you asked that, I just looked at it for the first time 3 days ago. Oh well, still only had 11 miles on it when the transport truck brought it to the dealer here.
I might wait until I'm out of the warranty period for AP, not for sure yet. I love the look with a lip on the front as well, looking forward to watching your progress!

#14 · (Edited)

I got clearbra'd!

I've been paranoid about driving on the freeways and getting the front chipped to hell. I've seen too many gravel trucks on the fwys to and from work.

I decided to fork over the money and got it done Tuesday night. I had it done by Elite Clear Bra and they use VentureShield. I have to say that material looks pretty good. It matches the slightly bumpy paint of my car just fine lol. I had the whole hood, full front fenders, mirrors, bumper, A-pillars, roof strip, headlamps, fog lamps, and bumper luggage strip covered.

It's invisible on the areas that have cured (from what my eyes can tell).

There's still some bumps, wrinkles and bubbles that should go away as it cures. Final verdict in 2 weeks.

#16 ·

Thanks! I'm still marveling at how interesting this color is in different lighting. Plus it doesn't show dirt very well so it almost always looks clean. :)

It does give me peace of mind after installing it. I noticed as I was going over it before the install that I already had a few chips but in somewhat inconspicuous locations. It's also hard to spot them because the base material is black or very dark gray. Oh well. Let's see how well it holds up.

#17 ·

lol Yeah, till you get a "dirty rain" mine looks like I drove through a mud bath today without the fun of doing so. You are right though, it is much easier to keep it clean when it mostly always looks clean!

Well, I'll tell you this about mine, I bought the car used with 35k miles with the 3M on it already and it has held up great so far! I'm just assuming by the seeming lack of chips in the paint that the previous owner put it on immediately. I'm pleased with it and hopeful for many, many more miles of the paint being preserved.

#19 · (Edited)

busy weekend for the car.

first oil change!

installed KB front and rear shifter pivot bushings. feels good and sounds pretty cool as well.

picked up a used Harman Motive catback. Haven't installed it but I will do it next weekend.

and since it's a rainy night in So Cal, here are some photos I took when I went out for a snack.
(taken with cheap PnS so quality is meh)

#23 ·

thank you.

Yes, I'll get exterior exhaust clips tonight and hopefully have them up by Wednesday morning. I've got a tripod so I'll mount the camera off the ground and do a few drive-bys in the first few gears with the goPro inside and outside as well.

#27 · (Edited)

no, this was shot with a digital camera mounted on a tripod.

It was a little difficult getting the midpipe attached to the downpipe. There are two spring bolts and those were a pain to get on correctly. I'd suggest some clamps to compress the spring before you bolt the midpipe to the downpipe.

So I'll elaborate a little on what I did this weekend.

I took my car to Willow Springs raceway to go have a HPDE on the Horse Thief Mile course. This was my first time ever track experience and I had a blast! Anyone with a track nearby should definitely take their car there for a day. You'll appreciate what your car can do in a safe and controlled environment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.