IW STi Forum banner

Willub's 04 SCCA Street Mod STi: APR GT3 CF Mirrors

GD: 
214K views 1K replies 46 participants last post by  willub 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello people. This is my PSM MY04 STi. I daily drive it and autocross occasionally on the weekends. This coming season I'm planning on attending every SCCA event and actually competing for points in my class, street modified. The fast SM car runs in the "pro" class so I have a decent chance at doing well. Thanks for dropping by!

Power/engine mods:
IAG Stage 2 Tuff short block
Manley valve springs
Blouch 1.5 XT-R 8cm
AMR top mount
Deatschwerks 850cc injectors
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
CNT catless downpipe and Gimmick cat-back
Tomei EL header and up pipe
KSTech 73mm CAI
Gimmick turbo inlet

Suspension:
JRZ RS Pro Dampers with 13k/11k swift springs
Ground Control camber plates
Whiteline 24mm front and rear adjustable sways and whiteline endlinks

Drivetrain:
Beatrush trans mount kartboy shifter bushings
Perrin lock out bolts and diff/outrigger bushings
Driveshaft Shop carbon fiber drive shaft
ACT streetlite flywheel
Exedy HD pressure plate
Competition Clutch 6 puck clutch disc

Exterior:
Karlton Fender Flares
APR GT3 Mirrors
Dirt
Rust

Major maintenance performed:
Timing belt @ 107k
Clutch @ ~109K
Clutch again @ ~135k
New IAG Short block @ 143k

Race wheel/tire setup
Black 18x10.5 +15 RPF1's
285/30/18 BFG R1S

Street wheel tire/setup
18x10.5 +15 Silver RPF1's
275/35/18 Dunlop ZII

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Racing Rallycross

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Willub's 04 STi

Up to stage 2 now. Went with a Gimmick motorsports cat back and CNT (was supposed to be a megan) downpipe non-catted. Sounds and looks good but fitment isnt perfect, has a small leak right now because of it but I wasnt expecting it to be perfect.

Did the clutch a week ago because I was getting slippage after stage 2 haha.

#8 ·

Got a catch can set up for the valve covers. Was able to fit it in front of the battery so it stays nice and cool, although it just seems to be taking moisture out of the air (which isn't a bad thing). Can doesn't come apart so I shoved some foam into the outlet going back to the intake hoping it will catch some more oil. I'll probably switch it to the PCV hose if I dont see some oil soon.

Hopefully this car will have some sort of a gt30r setup in it by the end of next summer. I'm not so good at saving money during snowmobile season though :p

#9 ·

Wait until you drive 200-300 miles before you check it. Blow-by doesn't occure as much as everyone builds it up to be. I got both crankcases and the pcv venting into the can, I checked it after 200 miles of driving and their were just some specs of oil. So I was happy that it was actually working.

#10 · (Edited)

Winter setup is on! Bought some bronze Sparco "Drift" (stupid name) wheels a week or so ago and got some toyo snow tires with the car. O.Z. racing actually manufactures the wheels. Got the wheels brand new for 520 shipped and the tires mounted for free, sweet deal! IMO they look better than the stockers, although they are 5 pounds heavier per wheel. Picture is terrible but my phone died right after this one so it was the only one I got.

#13 ·

Put on some Rally Armor flaps today. All I have to say is what the fawk. I pull back the fender liner and it's a solid chunk of ice conformed to the car plus about a pound of salt/sand/poop in each side. Had to sit there with a heat gun and a screwdriver chippin away at it. Figured it would take about an hour total but because of the ice, only a couple body clips actually came out properly. Others came out with pliers, a screwdriver and fury. All in all it took at least two hours :mad:. I'll post some pictures at some point and maybe a video of some parking lot shenanigans

On the passenger side behind the fender liner there was some insulation of some sort, but not on the drivers side. Just wondering if it's supposed to be on both sides

#15 · (Edited)
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Autocross setup suggestions are welcome!

My old 87 tII rx7 I sold to my friend getting a heart transplant (for the second time). Just waiting for the new shortblock to arrive. I'd say the car was putting down about 300whp with my best butt guestimate

Mods are: Old Greddy/trust FMIC, greddy type-s bov, Racing beat turbo-back, BNR stage 2 s5 turbo, walbro 255lph FP, 720cc secondary injectors, RTEK 2.1, motoform 5 spoke wheels as well as some old 3 piece volks and some smelly after market springs that came with the car

If you have an rx7 post some pics!

#17 ·
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Anyone have an rx-7?

Well I got some whiteline steering rack bushings the other day and decided to install them last night, but a bolt had other ideas (of course). The last rack bracket bolt decided to snap when it was about half-way out. Tried drilling it out and ez-outing it but I know the ez out is going to break. Just gonna have to keep drilling until I can pick the threads out I guess. While I was busy breaking **** my friend noticed a front swaybar endlink hanging down. **** me. The four plastic tabs that the end of the link gets pressed on to, broke. I just used it as an excuse and ordered the following: Whiteline 24mm adjustable front sway bar, 24mm adjustable rear sway bar and front/rear ball end links.

The money pit gets deeper

On another note me and my friend got the new engine in his rx7 a couple weeks ago and its running, but terribly. Something is wrong and we can not figure it out. Thats pretty much the slogan for rx7's though

#19 ·
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Ordered Whiteline sway bars and end-links!

Got the front sway bar out and noticed that one of the larger bolts holding in the sub-frame (I think that's what it is considered) is broken lol. No idea how that could happen. I did catch a small amount of air going over some railroad tracks the other day, but there is no way that would cause a 12 or 14mm bolt to break. Hopefully my sways will arrive this week, I'm pumped!

#20 ·

I wouldn't start removing stuff from the car until you have all the parts you need. What happenes if you need to move your car, or have to go somewhere and have no other car to drive... IMO

#21 ·

I work 5 days a week, I made sure I had another car to drive lol. My car is on the lift, no need for it to be moved since my dad is working on his 71 cuda with no engine in it. I didnt feel like rolling that around 6 more times so I just left my car in there. Ill get some pics of his car up, it just got back from paint

#24 ·

Finished up the sway-bar install before I went to work and I love it! No more clunking from the old bushings plus the new rack bushings are awesome. Definitely digs harder in the corners and responds much quicker but I haven't had the chance to really test em out or mess with any settings. Any advice for adjusting the end-links? Should I just try and get them as vertical as possible?

#25 ·
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Installed Whiteline sway bars and end-links!

Ok my first autocross with the sti is comin up soon and I'm wonderin what class I should run. All my mods are in the first post. There is only one car in STU in my division right now so I'd rather not do that lol, I want some competition! Any autocrossers feel free to chime in!

#26 ·
Re: Willub's 04 STi: Autocross results!

Last weekend me and my friend co-drove my sti at an autocross event and overall I'm pleased with the car. We took 3rd and 4th in STU only to lose to an 08 m3 and a 2010 135i. My friend actually beat me by 2 seconds. At the end of the day I hit zero cones (may have been the only person there to do so), which is ridiculous and shows that I should have pushed harder but I guess my brain thinks of a cone as a pedestrian. My friend hit 11 (6 of them coming in one run lol). All of these pictures were taken by a guy named Ed that posted them on the ner.org forums

The night prior to the autocross I actually dumped my CBR when I went too wide around a corner and hit some sand at 10 or 15 mph. All of the weight slammed on to my left knee. I ended up with some bad scrapes on my knee and arm but other than that I was fine, or so I thought. Kept riding after and washed out my scrapes at a gas station. At the autocross I ended up working on a corner where I was a good distance from the cones that people were hitting, so I had to sprint out and replace the cone a lot. Knee started to hurt a little as the day went on but I ignored it. Pain got worse and worse while I was at work the next few days so I started doing some research. Turns out I tore or partially tore my MCL lol (self diagnosis, 99% of my symptoms are that of an MCL injury). Pain is still persisting but my knee is feeling a little stronger and hopefully will be good for the next event.

This is my friend taking some footage off of the gopro and putting it on his laptop.

The m3 that won our class

We're goin to the next event on the 9th and will hopefully be headin home with some trophies :D Car was understeering more than I wanted so I'm gonna stiffen up the rear sway bar. I let a pro driver named Todd take my car out for a run as an intructor run and he really showed me what the car had. He did a 66 second run with two cones (same raw time as what the m3 was doing) his first time out and managed to rip out my entire passenger side fender liner LOL. After he crossed the finish all I saw in the mirror was a guy holding up a huge piece of black plastic. I really didnt care since it was falling out anyways, partially from my friend nailing 4 or 5 cones in a row. He said the car was pushing more than it should be, so we'll see what happens next time.

I'll post up some videos once he edits them and gets them on youtube rather than facebook

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.