Old 05-14-19, 04:25 AM   #1
StiSilly
Joined the Conversation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

StiSilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Break-In Period and burning up oil

Just recently got an STi 2019, bone stock, still in the break-in period, decided to try and "push" it just for a slight bit, I have around 709 miles, just curious as to what could have caused the oil to burn up? Went from full when the mileage was around 540, about half at 650, and now I am left with about a quarter left. Any ideas as to whats burning/eating up my oil?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-19, 05:05 AM   #2
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Break-In Period and burning up oil

Are you sure you are reading the oil level correctly? That's a really high consumption rate in the course of about 100 miles. If the car is actually low on oil at this low miles, i would highly recommend bringing it into the dealer so this can all be recorded and documented.

Definitely make sure you top off and correct the oil level.

Last edited by Jay11STI; 05-14-19 at 05:09 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-14-19, 07:54 AM   #3
Jedi03
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: Blue 2009 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jedi03 is an unknown quantity at this point

these engines consume oil, dealer should be able to advise too if something is abnormal...mine was consuming at that rate when i purchased (112k miles) but was stuck rings and high carbon buildup...probably not your issue tho
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-19, 11:39 AM   #4
Leemanfor
Master Contributor Level 1

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about

yeah that is a bit excessive...I would be taking to the dealership.

When we broke in my wifes 2014 WRX, it used no oil at all. and I wasn't easy on it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-14-19, 03:22 PM   #5
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiSilly View Post
what could have caused the oil to burn up? Went from full when the mileage was around 540, about half at 650, and now I am left with about a quarter left. Any ideas as to whats burning/eating up my oil?
I don't think you mean what you wrote. If it really only has 1/4 of it's oil left, your engine may well have a short life!

Variation on your dipstick though is common in our cars. The level indicated will depend on level of the oil, levelness of the car, temperature of the oil. How long it has been since shut down, and even how you pull out the dip stick!!! Get used to doing it exactly the same way and you'll likely get more consistent readings.

That said, burning some oil is not unheard of. It's something to watch and be aware of, and certainly to notify a dealer with a new car - be sure it is in writing in their records.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-16-19, 03:05 PM   #6
Neanderthal Racing
'do right & fear no one"
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: $20. mudflaps from auto zone
My Subaru Parts for sale

Neanderthal Racing is just really niceNeanderthal Racing is just really niceNeanderthal Racing is just really niceNeanderthal Racing is just really nice

Quote:
Just recently got an STi 2019, bone stock, still in the break-in period, decided to try and "push" it just for a slight bit, I have around 709 miles, just curious as to what could have caused the oil to burn up? Went from full when the mileage was around 540, about half at 650, and now I am left with about a quarter left. Any ideas as to whats burning/eating up my oil?
you'd see evidence of that much oil being consumed billowing out of your exhaust. look for a leak.

the argument about a hard vs a soft break-in has been going on forever. "pushing it a slight bit" isn't going to do anything but break it in better than not pushing it at all.

stupid bruce tricks:
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-17-19, 05:14 AM   #7
StiSilly
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

StiSilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for thr late update!

Update on my situation: The oil put in during the break in period is slightly different (dealership's word). I just got my oil change, around 854.4 miles recorded. And as of right now, everything is ok with it, and dealership said everything in the vehicle was fine and that there was no smoke billowing out the exhaust.

I guess it was just the oil put in and that little bit of "slightly agressive" break in, which was around 4000-4800 rpm per 3rd and 4th gear.

I will be keeping an eye on it and report back to see if it still is burning oil. So far so good!

Thanks for all the tips everyone!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM   #8
crick0234
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: DGM '12 WRX STI 5DR
Fav Mod: shortThrow Shifter
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

crick0234 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sorry for thr late update!

Update on my situation: The oil put in during the break in period is slightly different (dealership's word). I just got my oil change, around 854.4 miles recorded. And as of right now, everything is ok with it, and dealership said everything in the vehicle was fine and that there was no smoke billowing out the exhaust.

I guess it was just the oil put in and that little bit of "slightly agressive" break in, which was around 4000-4800 rpm per 3rd and 4th gear.

I will be keeping an eye on it and report back to see if it still is burning oil. So far so good!

Thanks for all the tips everyone!
my first 1K miles i burnt thru a quart of oil during breakin. changed, and everythings fine. it still burnt oil... like 1/2 quart to 3/4 quart every 5K miles, depending on how i drive. so check your oil often anyways. I'm at 140K miles now, still burning oil, but car runs swell otherwise. oil analysis for it came in clean and good according to the blackstone fellas.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement