Thoughts/Review/Comparison Typa RA or S209 - Page 7 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Typa RA or S209
Typa RA or S209
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Thoughts/Review/Comparison Typa RA or S209

Old 06-06-19, 01:31 PM   #61
TheLastSTI
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TheLastSTI is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Typa RA or S209

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
$55k pre-tax?

It was a little under $55k, but yes; I had spent a few days trying to locate a dealer with one inbound and no dealer would budge from anything less than $5k over and some dealers were $10-15k over (Santa Monica Subaru / Glendale Subaru were insane). The sad part is, people actually bought well over $5k over, but hey - their money.
'18 STi Type RA #350

-Chris
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-19, 01:50 PM   #62
TheLastSTI

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINick19 View Post
It's not in California, but it's a new '18 Type RA in WRB for $46k.
Autotrader - Type RA

It's still hard for me to justify the price considering I purchased a '19 STI with the Recaro package for $37k in California. Sure, the Type RA is a limited edition which adds some value, but really all that it gets otherwise are the BBS wheels and the carbon fiber roof & spoiler. That extra $10-20k for something a little rarer will depend on personal preference and finances. Although, I'd really like to have the CF roof

It's a bit unfair to the Type RA owners that the '19 STI received many of the same improvements which probably hurt their value. The '19s also got Apple CarPlay & Android Auto. I imagine that the RA's value will drop further once the S209 is released since it will be an even more limited model and have further power & handling improvements. But I've seen reports that it'll cost $65k (before dealer markups) which is getting into the territory of much "better" cars. Yes, you can still argue that there aren't many cars in its segment of an AWD sedan with a manual transmission.
The car being in CA is what makes a lot of the difference though, especially in pricing. It's why there's none in CA, even used.

The value of the RA, to me, was simply the benefit of having everything done from the factory. You could argue that it's just wheels, a spoiler and a carbon roof and it is (don't forget the Bilstein suspension lol), but if you look into the pricing of just the items you mentioned it's really a small fortune. The wheels are nearly $1,200 / wheel, the rear wing is over $3k and the roof was hilariously expensive too. The cost of the wheels and wing alone is already approaching $7-8k and you still need the roof and a shop competent enough to do the install. That's just too much of a gamble for a car that I would've spent $37k on to begin with.

Yes, it sucked having to pay a markup; however, I knew going into it that the idea of getting one for sticker would be next to impossible and I didn't want to find myself having lost out altogether - even if perhaps it would've been for the better (S209), but it's all right as I truly love my RA.

I actually don't think the S209 will hurt the RA's value too badly, largely because it's almost a different car, an S model. The RA was a package on the STi, so it's apples and oranges to an extent.

Regardless, I bought my RA to own and am not worried about selling it any time soon - unless the right buyer comes along.
'18 STi Type RA #350

-Chris
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-06-19, 02:08 PM   #63
TheLastSTI

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Here's the link to my '07 STi, in a more finalized build state, as opposed to the journal link in my username.

Function, Form & Balance - 5 Years In The Making...

I'm actually proud that I haven't touched the RA!

*Full disclosure, just bought the STi exhaust, side skirts, carbon trunk trim and rear lower spoiler last week - guess we'll see how long it is before those parts make it onto the RA!
'18 STi Type RA #350

-Chris
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-06-19, 11:11 PM   #64
8cd03gro
Advanced Mastery Level II

My Subaru Parts for sale

8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastSTI View Post
It was a little under $55k, but yes; I had spent a few days trying to locate a dealer with one inbound and no dealer would budge from anything less than $5k over and some dealers were $10-15k over (Santa Monica Subaru / Glendale Subaru were insane). The sad part is, people actually bought well over $5k over, but hey - their money.
Wow, I'm surprised they fetch that much in Cali where the AWD isn't as meaningful. People want what they want though.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-07-19, 08:11 AM   #65
TheLastSTI

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Wow, I'm surprised they fetch that much in Cali where the AWD isn't as meaningful. People want what they want though.
There's definitely a market for them here; I was stunned that there was a line of buyers behind me if I fell through on my RA, as I was pushing back on the markup.

The dealership received three (two white and one blue) and they all sold one right after the other about day apart - all $5k over. The only other person I know, who bought an RA is a Subaru tech and he managed to get a $4.5k markup (Irvine Subaru) because he was tech, instead of $5k.

McKenna Subaru was asking $70k at one point for both of their RAs, they finally sold but I don't know at what price.
'18 STi Type RA #350

-Chris
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-07-19, 09:55 AM   #66
STINick19
Becoming A Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 is an unknown quantity at this point

There was one for under MSRP here in Northern California towards the end of last year. I believe it was going for ~$48k since it hadn't sold yet. The same dealership also had two BRZ tS for sale for $32k.

You'll always have to pay the markup if you want to be one of the first to get a special/limited edition model and guarantee your spot. The same thing happened with the Focus RS and Civic Type R even though they weren't as limited in production.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement