Engine Best method for install Turbo Oil Return Line? Turbo stud torque specs? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Best method for install Turbo Oil Return Line? Turbo stud torque specs?
Best method for install Turbo Oil Return Line? Turbo stud torque specs?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Engine Best method for install Turbo Oil Return Line? Turbo stud torque specs?

Old 07-22-19, 02:57 PM   #1
louiswyman660
Joined the Conversation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

louiswyman660 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best method for install Turbo Oil Return Line? Turbo stud torque specs?

Hello,

I have a 2015 STI and when I reinstalled my turbo in the past I didn't line up the turbo oil feed line which is causing a fairly slow leak in my car. I got the turbo pulled out again and I was just wondering if anyone can share their method for installing the rubber oil return hose? I usually connect it to the pipe going to the block first, then slide the turbo on top of it, leaving the clamps in the original position, but when I pulled my turbo out today, I saw that the turbo went in at an angle and shifted the weak clamps out of position. Can anyone share their methods for getting this hose in the correct position? It's so hard to check because of the small amount of visibility you get of the top of the hose from under the car.

Also, for some reason when I tried to remove the turbo to downpipe nut, it pulled the stud out with the nut. I'm ordering a new stud and nut because I can't get them separated (I'm guessing I over-torqued it because this was the only one I couldn't get a torque wrench to). I've never installed a stud before but after doing some research it looks like you install them using a 2-nut method. My question is how tight should I make it so the stud doesn't get pulled out again? Usually the FSM has a "Disassembly" portion where it tells you information like this, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-19, 03:03 PM   #2
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: Best method for install Turbo Oil Return Line? Turbo stud torque specs?

I like to set the turbo down on the uppipe and then get the return started. After that, start torquing it down, while checking on the return. As far as torque, on something like this, I just crank it down pretty good in an even, cross pattern as you will note that it will slowly pull itself down.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-22-19, 03:20 PM   #3
louiswyman660
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Best method for install Turbo Oil Return Line? Turbo stud torque specs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
I like to set the turbo down on the uppipe and then get the return started. After that, start torquing it down, while checking on the return. As far as torque, on something like this, I just crank it down pretty good in an even, cross pattern as you will note that it will slowly pull itself down.
I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. So do you set the turbo down, then try fish your arms through the engine bay to attach the rubber hose? That would be ideal, but I can't see anyway to actually reach the part of the hose attached to the turbo once I set it down. And then if I try to lift it, it pulls the hose off the pipe going to the block. Maybe I just need to approach it from a different angle. Also, regarding the torque specs, I meant the torque spec for installing a new stud to the turbo. I have the torque spec for the nut (31.3 ft-lb).

Thanks

EDIT: I might try attaching the hose to the turbo, setting it down on the uppipe, then attaching the bottom of the hose to the pipe on the block. Just hate how easy it is to bump these clamps out of place.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-19, 03:30 PM   #4
louiswyman660
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I marked the two items I'm referring to in these images:
Turbo Stud
Turbo Oil Return Line
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-22-19, 03:44 PM   #5
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Address the oil return from under the car. You can do it from either the turbo or head side, but it's easier, in my dealings, to do it from under the car.

For the stud, if you're just installing the stud, use two nuts to lock down a way to turn it down and just get it "snug". The real force with when you tighten the nut down for install.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement