Oil temps way high after header install - Page 12 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Oil temps way high after header install
Oil temps way high after header install
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Oil temps way high after header install

Old 06-10-19, 04:15 AM   #111
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Oil temps way high after header install

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapp View Post
What do you think could actually be causing the restriction? . . .I'm trying to think of what could cause a hose to not pass sufficient fluid without leaking or anything.
Could just be a bend sharp enough to partially collapse a hose. They are formed, and at least on of them has a 90 in it

Quote:
I would imagine it would. I don't have an oil pressure gauge so I can't be certain. Perhaps the pressure is low but not enough to cause other immediate issues so it is only being noticed by the high temps.
I don't think oil pressure is the issue - but if I did I'd be saying don't rive it till you are sure it is good.

You know the old saying "don't fix it if it aint broke". It comes from real experiences. I'm not saying not to do maintenance or mod, but when you do work on something and it stops working you should know where to look.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-19, 10:59 AM   #112
brapp
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enoughbrapp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
Could just be a bend sharp enough to partially collapse a hose. They are formed, and at least on of them has a 90 in it
Great. I'll take a look at those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman
I don't think oil pressure is the issue - but if I did I'd be saying don't rive it till you are sure it is good.

You know the old saying "don't fix it if it aint broke". It comes from real experiences. I'm not saying not to do maintenance or mod, but when you do work on something and it stops working you should know where to look.
Totally. That's why my mind went to the headers, as they were the only thing that got worked on.

This wouldn't be the first time though that I put on a new part and something else happened to go wrong at the same time. Perhaps from the car sitting in the air without being run for a longer stretch, perhaps something else got bumped during the install, or perhaps the new part ended up putting extra strain on something that was already stressed enough.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-10-19, 12:31 PM   #113
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Totally. That's why my mind went to the headers, as they were the only thing that got worked on.
Perhaps you blown up my guess, but I took:

Quote:
I do not have an external cooler, just the stock oil/coolant heat exchanger. From the research I've done... it doesn't seem like those really go bad. It did have a very slow oil weep at the seal, but I replaced that and it had no noticeable effect on the temps.
to mean you had worked on or with your oil cooler - which was my whole point. If not that makes it far less likely it the problem. Rereading I believe that the oil temps were already hot before you messed with it.

Quote:
Other than that... the only things that changed around the same time were adding an AOS,
Water cooled AOS? If plumbed as in the diagram it should have made no difference.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 06-10-19 at 12:41 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-10-19, 08:15 PM   #114
brapp
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enoughbrapp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
Perhaps you blown up my guess, but I took:

to mean you had worked on or with your oil cooler - which was my whole point. If not that makes it far less likely it the problem. Rereading I believe that the oil temps were already hot before you messed with it.

Water cooled AOS? If plumbed as in the diagram it should have made no difference.
Oil cooler was never touched. Oil temps were normal in the past.

Regardless, I think it's a good thought. One that has been shared by others among my racing friends.

Yes, water cooled AOS. I believe all was installed correctly... and I think if it was done wrongly it would have been pretty obvious from the start. But worth a thought.

I'm working 8am to 1am ish every day this week and hoping to run SCCA Time Trials this weekend at High Plains Raceway. Had a couple friends come through for me... picked up a spare stock oil cooler as well as a complete oil cooler setup with a 25 row Mocal cooler. Dropped it all off tonight at a good shop -- hopefully they can either find an issue with the stock cooler/lines and/or install the Mocal setup so I can still run this weekend.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement