Thoughts/Review/Comparison Is exclusivity worth $30k - Page 10 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Is exclusivity worth k
Is exclusivity worth k
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Thoughts/Review/Comparison Is exclusivity worth $30k

Old 10-24-19, 05:33 AM   #91
bsowers2018
Becoming An Advanced Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Crystal Black 2018
Fav Mod: being different and leaving it stock.......
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bsowers2018 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is exclusivity worth $30k

Getting back to the original question this thread asked, Yes it is, at least to the 209 people who already have put deposits on one. Subaru is not trying to compete with tuner cars, or more expensive cars, or cars that aren't even in the same class (M3, M4, corvette, camaro etc etc that have been put on here as "better" alternatives. Subaru wanted to sell what they feel is the best overall STI they have offered in America. 209 people will feel the same way.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-19, 07:30 AM   #92
STINick19
Advanced Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 will become famous soon enough

There have been a few dealerships on nasioc and social media trying to generate sales for their S209 allocations. Subaru still has the "Reserve yours now" link posted on their website and is offering a financing "incentive". This all leads me to believe that there are still S209s available.

These may not fly off the lots a quickly as some expected.. especially with the high ADM that dealers will inevitably try to charge.

The S209 is without a doubt the best STI that the US has ever received.. but it will take 209 very dedicated Subaru enthusiasts and collectors to stomach the $65k+ price tag.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 10-24-19, 09:14 AM   #93
NorthernRage
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: 2015 STi
Fav Mod: 94 octane fuel
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

NorthernRage is on a distinguished road

I am gambling on a 2021 EJ25 Final Edition being offered next year. I'm hoping it will be a Type RA minus the roof and wing, and will match very closely to the trim level of the EJ20 Final Edition.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-24-19, 11:29 AM   #94
F1EA
Becoming A Contributor

Car: 2019 STI CWP
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

F1EA is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Are you projecting your inability to afford it? Seems odd you keep bringing that up. Plenty of us can afford it.

I have a sneaking suspicion you're blacknblue. Many of the people you're talking to have had or currently have fully built STIs with tens of thousands in mods and were excited to see what Subaru could offer at a premium price, hoping it would be something competitive on track and road. They let us down.

Your example of WRX vs STI isn't equivalent. The STI offers a bunch of components that are difficult to replicate in the aftermarket without just swapping to the STI parts -- DCCD, the stronger 6 speed, stronger axles, LSD, etc. This S209 is just a bunch of STI parts catalog bolt-ons for $30k, and not even that many at that. This seems like more of a package some third party tuner would offer than an OEM trim level. Like Cobb "stage 3" with a couple suspension parts tacked on.
Who's blacknblue? I'm intrigued now

No, not really projecting anything. On the contrary, I have a pretty neutral position on the car, which is the reason why most of the love/hate relationship just sounds childish...

Of course, if you're willing to modify your car... a S209 will never have "value". So yes, talking to people with fully built STIs I can definitely see how a S209 is not and will likely never be appealing. At least to most.

Same way as for some people a base WRX + modified also offers much more value than a regular STI... let alone a S209. If you're in the opinion that the STI has a lot more things that are difficult to replicate, then you clearly are in the camp of the "STI is worth it". Which believe me.... it's not the only camp. There is the "STI is NOT worth it" camp. I don't care about either because I think both the WRX and STI are nice cars.

In summary... I really don't care what people think about the Type RA/S209 or what "enthusiasts" think of it. I still like the car and think it's actually pretty cool. I'd love to have one... but I don't care enough to really want it. But I get that the STI is/has been a "dream car" for a lot of people... so i can appreciate how these people would feel about special editions, etc. It was never a dream for me. But... I still like it. In the end, some people will buy it and some will be left rambling pointlessly about it on Youtube, forums, Twitter, Nasioc, IWSTI, etc. Just like they have been rambling for years about the hatch... or the EJ, or whatever it is... I actually don't like the hatch. Don't at me...

whoa that was a ramble. hahaha

Last edited by F1EA; 10-24-19 at 04:52 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-24-19, 11:30 AM   #95
F1EA
Becoming A Contributor

Car: 2019 STI CWP
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

F1EA is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsowers2018 View Post
Getting back to the original question this thread asked, Yes it is, at least to the 209 people who already have put deposits on one. Subaru is not trying to compete with tuner cars, or more expensive cars, or cars that aren't even in the same class (M3, M4, corvette, camaro etc etc that have been put on here as "better" alternatives. Subaru wanted to sell what they feel is the best overall STI they have offered in America. 209 people will feel the same way.
This ^
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-24-19, 02:04 PM   #96
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Than they'll be successful! um sort of - cause selling 209 cars might not even count.

I'm pretty sure it more a method to get the public who know nothing about Subarus into the showroom to sell em a WRX, or maybe an STI, and give the dealers and sale personnel a little present in profit for the one they do sell.
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-24-19, 03:57 PM   #97
nightdown fox
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: '15 Launch Edition
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

nightdown fox will become famous soon enoughnightdown fox will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1EA View Post
Who's blacknblue? I'm intrigued now
Man, has it really been that long now? Blacknblue06sti, or BNB, was a member who was legendary for his inane, quixotic, and completely out of touch fanboy love for the Subaru STI. There’s fanboy, and there’s delusional to the point that it was a constant spread of misinformation. After many, many chances, he was finally perma-banned. Can search his legacy for some cringe-worthy entertainment if you’re bored.

His delusions combined with how much time he spent on the forums would’ve been good popcorn fodder for the the multiple sources of haterade that’s left after his ban. These forums have gone from informative posts on the VA platform to dissatisfied peeps bemoaning and comparing to other cars which they have all ‘Merican rights to just go buy.

I love the idea of the S209, and it’s also out of my price range... just watching in the background hopping to get a OEM parts list from the S209 just because I have a hankering on using (read: overpriced) OEM parts for my build *shrug*

Really is no point in the two extremes of this argument engaging because of the backfire effect... I doubt any minds will change, but interwebz gotta interwebz so.....
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-24-19, 04:50 PM   #98
8cd03gro
Advanced Mastery Level II

My Subaru Parts for sale

8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsowers2018 View Post
Why is M3 in a different class? It costs almost exactly the same price and is a similarly sized sports sedan. The new one is going to have optional AWD too... what cars do you think the S209 is going to be cross-shopped with? $30k cars? No. Hell, Subaru themselves benchmarked the ATS-V.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-24-19, 05:14 PM   #99
TheRipler
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: LandShark STi
Fav Mod: GT40R
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TheRipler is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing I've always liked is that Subarus generally hold their value. I think S209 buyers will be looking at unprecedented depreciation for a Subaru.

I vote C8. (whatever the special edition with the 5.5 is going to be)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement