08 GR STi - Wouldnt Start, Rough Fluctuating Idle, and VDC Light Yellow - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
08 GR STi - Wouldnt Start, Rough Fluctuating Idle, and VDC Light Yellow
08 GR STi - Wouldnt Start, Rough Fluctuating Idle, and VDC Light Yellow
Go Back   STI Forums > > > 08 GR STi - Wouldnt Start, Rough Fluctuating Idle, and VDC Light Yellow

Old 04-12-19, 12:06 PM   #1
RAE129
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 08 Subaru WRX STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

RAE129 is on a distinguished road
Default 08 GR STi - Wouldnt Start, Rough Fluctuating Idle, and VDC Light Yellow

-2008 GR STi with 48k miles-

Had about a 1/4 tank of gas and decided to fill up the tank. Stopped at a Citgo, filled with 93, went to get coffee, came back to car and she wouldnt start. Cranked once and nothing, cranked twice and nothing, cranked a last time and she started. Once i got her started, the RPMs dipped way below the 700RPM idle and the car felt like it was going to stall, and the engine was shuddering and violently shaking, and the VDC light was iluminated in yellow. There was NO CEL or ABS light. I figured it was something with the gas and i rolled on the throttle and the shudder/shake disappeared.

I moved the vehicle and turned it off. I started her up again to see if there was any hesitation and with no added load to the engine, the RPMs were all over the place and still shuddering and shaking, and the VDC light was iluminated in yellow. There was NO CEL or ABS light again.

Turned off the car again, let it sit for 2-3 minutes, and restarted. After the restart, the car seemed like it had no issues. The VDC light was no longer illuminated in yellow and no other lights on the dash were illuminated.

Im thinking maybe there was some water in the gas. This happened to me once in October 2018 after filling the vehicle up with 93 gas.

Im stumped. Any ideas?
[[[[Had an 07STI, 04 VW GTI (1.8T), 2001 HONDA CBR929RR Erion Racing Edition, 97 GSXR750, 96 VW JETTA (2.Slow), 89 Dodge Colt]]]]
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-19, 12:28 PM   #2
dlheman
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2011 WRX STI UK-Type
Fav Mod: Those STI flexible parts and IHI VF56
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

dlheman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 08 GR STi - Wouldnt Start, Rough Fluctuating Idle, and VDC Light Yellow

Do you have something connected to your OBD2?

I once didn't drive the STI for 2 weeks or so, and when I switch it to on (not starting the engine) the following happened:
1. water tempt needle went to max (but coolant level as on max)
2. the diff bar went up to max then blinking
3. the vdc orange light blinking

Turn it off, and turn it back on again and it started fine.

But the same thing happened the next day.

I then noticed my Aeroforce OBD2 gauge was also acting up as there were no reading and I thought maybe the gauges drained my battery (it can). I removed the OBD2 gauge, turn on the car again and it was fine. Start the car and no problem.

Since then I just disconnect my OBD2 gauges if I won't be driving it for more than 1 week.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-12-19, 12:31 PM   #3
RAE129

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: 08 GR STi - Wouldnt Start, Rough Fluctuating Idle, and VDC Light Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlheman View Post
Do you have something connected to your OBD2?

I once didn't drive the STI for 2 weeks or so, and when I switch it to on (not starting the engine) the following happened:
1. water tempt needle went to max (but coolant level as on max)
2. the diff bar went up to max then blinking
3. the vdc orange light blinking

Turn it off, and turn it back on again and it started fine.

But the same thing happened the next day.

I then noticed my Aeroforce OBD2 gauge was also acting up as there were no reading and I thought maybe the gauges drained my battery (it can). I removed the OBD2 gauge, turn on the car again and it was fine. Start the car and no problem.

Since then I just disconnect my OBD2 gauges if I won't be driving it for more than 1 week.
Nothing attached to OBD2 port.
[[[[Had an 07STI, 04 VW GTI (1.8T), 2001 HONDA CBR929RR Erion Racing Edition, 97 GSXR750, 96 VW JETTA (2.Slow), 89 Dodge Colt]]]]
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 03:27 AM   #4
Samurai Jack
Becoming A Contributor

Car: 02 WRX
Fav Mod: Every mod I add
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Samurai Jack is on a distinguished road

Couple of questions:
1. How often do you use this particular Citgo station?
2. Was he car running perfectly fine before you filled the tank?

Couple of possibilities:
1. Something came loose ( like a vacuum hose ) between the time you stopped for gas and when you attempted to restart the engine. Not unusual that this * may * happen. Remember that the engine vibrates while it is running and a vacuum hose could come loose. Hoses wear / stretch over time.

2. You got bad gas. If this was not your normal station, go back to the one you usually use and stay away from this particular station.

I used to know people who ran a Citgo station years ( and years ) ago. ( It's just a coincidence the brand is the same ). These people had a habit of buying scrap gas from anyone. Scrap gas is the bottom of the tanker so it's not the best and it's a lot cheaper to buy.

I never bought gas from them but one guy I knew worked there and told me NEVER to buy gas from them. The one time he bought gas from that station it screwed up his engine and it never ran the same again.

Now, this DOES NOT mean you need to panic.
1. Change stations for your next fill-up.
2. Add some fuel injection cleaner now to help get rid of any water, etc. in the tank.
3. If the issue persists, you may need to change the fuel filter as it could be clogged with whatever was in the tank

I've had something similar more than once before on different cars and I was able to eliminate the issues as I described above and everything turned out fine.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old Today, 08:34 AM   #5
RAE129

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
Couple of questions:
1. How often do you use this particular Citgo station?
2. Was he car running perfectly fine before you filled the tank?

Couple of possibilities:
1. Something came loose ( like a vacuum hose ) between the time you stopped for gas and when you attempted to restart the engine. Not unusual that this * may * happen. Remember that the engine vibrates while it is running and a vacuum hose could come loose. Hoses wear / stretch over time.

2. You got bad gas. If this was not your normal station, go back to the one you usually use and stay away from this particular station.

I used to know people who ran a Citgo station years ( and years ) ago. ( It's just a coincidence the brand is the same ). These people had a habit of buying scrap gas from anyone. Scrap gas is the bottom of the tanker so it's not the best and it's a lot cheaper to buy.

I never bought gas from them but one guy I knew worked there and told me NEVER to buy gas from them. The one time he bought gas from that station it screwed up his engine and it never ran the same again.

Now, this DOES NOT mean you need to panic.
1. Change stations for your next fill-up.
2. Add some fuel injection cleaner now to help get rid of any water, etc. in the tank.
3. If the issue persists, you may need to change the fuel filter as it could be clogged with whatever was in the tank

I've had something similar more than once before on different cars and I was able to eliminate the issues as I described above and everything turned out fine.

Car was running perfect prior to the Citgo fill up. I have used this gas station a few times in the past, but not often since it is near one of my work locations that i do not visit frequently.

Dont think it is a vacuum line because the car runs perfect now and i didnt figit with anything under the hood. Only thing i did do was tighten the gas cap again but the car was already running ok.

This did happen once before in October of 2018 after another gas fill up (at a BP). I wasnt sure what caused the issue then either.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement