Engine AEM Fuel pump fail or? - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
AEM Fuel pump fail or?
AEM Fuel pump fail or?
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Engine AEM Fuel pump fail or?

Old 05-21-19, 08:09 PM   #1
itsm3ming
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: Launch | STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

itsm3ming will become famous soon enough
Default AEM Fuel pump fail or?

Greetings,

Haven't seen much bad reviews about the AEM 320lph fuel pump and i think i might be one in the few? The car starts no problems, i noticed if i don't let it warm up for a few minutes and move a few feet then the idle will start surging. Therefore i always let it warm up before going to avoid that happening. Sometimes it takes a couple seconds to start but pretty consistent for the most part
The other day I was driving and maxed out 4th gear and my egt spiked to 1600, which has never done that before. (3/4 tank) I get home, had dinner and a few hours later i walk back out to my car not starting. The car cranks but does not start. I cant remember exactly if i heard the pump prime or not.
The next morning, i start the car and it fired right up. The odd part is that my AEM FPR & gauge only reads when the car has started and does not budge during the "on" position. Which it sits at 43-50 depending if cold to hot. Also hear the pump hum/prime during the "on" position now or at least im noticing it.
The pump doesnt make a bad noise, nor does the car stutter/hesitate yet, nor loss of power.
I went to a shop to pick up my second AEM 340lph fuel pump and told them about my scenario and perhaps the last tank when i filled up was just under 1/4 tank but they said unless the tank goes completely dry then perhaps. Informed me that the AEM fuel pump is great and they have never seen one fail compared to the popular DW65c. They also informed me that the pump probably overheated therefore was preventing the car to start and had cooled down overnight to be able to start again.

Should i risk continuing to drive it till other symptoms occur?
But kind of nervous that this a risky move that the pump might fail during mid drive causing the car to stall on the public roads?
Replace the pump that everyone preaches about how well they work and little failure rate?
I'm assuming the fuel pump did cut short momentarily causing my egt to spike under heavy load which makes me nervous to go WOT now?

Missed my 2nd track day for some silly issue and now have another track day coming up in two weeks and i hope i make it to this one to make up but with a reliable car...welp lols
Guess i'm just in denial since most of the parts are fairly low mileage...sigh

thanks in advance.

p.s my friend said AEM pumps catch fire when fail and DWs just fail, but saw no articles or threads about flaming pumps..

15 Subaru STI
AEM 320lph Fuel Pump (Installed last March 2018)
AEM FPR
ID1300 Injectors
IAG Fuel rails
1 step colder spark plugs

Last edited by itsm3ming; 05-21-19 at 08:28 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-19, 07:19 AM   #2
Leemanfor
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: AEM Fuel pump fail or?

I hope to god your fuel pump doesn't catch fire in the fuel tank.

but anyway.

Considering you've had it for quite a while, I would be its not installed wrong. but its good to check and make sure the O-rings in the fuel canister are still there.

Check wiring and make sure all the connections are seated.

if not, likely the pump is on its way out.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-22-19, 07:56 AM   #3
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsm3ming View Post
The next morning, i start the car and it fired right up. The odd part is that my AEM FPR & gauge only reads when the car has started and does not budge during the "on" position. Which it sits at 43-50 depending if cold to hot. Also hear the pump hum/prime during the "on" position now or at least im noticing it.
It is an electrical gauge/sensor? If so, it could be that it's not wired to the proper switched power.

Fuel pressure does not reference whether the temp is hot or cold. Base pressure/relative base pressure is always the same. Meaning, if your base pressure is 3-bar, then there should always be 3-bar of pressure over whatever the intake pressure is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsm3ming View Post
The pump doesnt make a bad noise, nor does the car stutter/hesitate yet, nor loss of power.
I went to a shop to pick up my second AEM 340lph fuel pump and told them about my scenario and perhaps the last tank when i filled up was just under 1/4 tank but they said unless the tank goes completely dry then perhaps. Informed me that the AEM fuel pump is great and they have never seen one fail compared to the popular DW65c. They also informed me that the pump probably overheated therefore was preventing the car to start and had cooled down overnight to be able to start again.

Should i risk continuing to drive it till other symptoms occur?
But kind of nervous that this a risky move that the pump might fail during mid drive causing the car to stall on the public roads?
Replace the pump that everyone preaches about how well they work and little failure rate?
I'm assuming the fuel pump did cut short momentarily causing my egt to spike under heavy load which makes me nervous to go WOT now?

Missed my 2nd track day for some silly issue and now have another track day coming up in two weeks and i hope i make it to this one to make up but with a reliable car...welp lols
Guess i'm just in denial since most of the parts are fairly low mileage...sigh

thanks in advance.

p.s my friend said AEM pumps catch fire when fail and DWs just fail, but saw no articles or threads about flaming pumps..

15 Subaru STI
AEM 320lph Fuel Pump (Installed last March 2018)
AEM FPR
ID1300 Injectors
IAG Fuel rails
1 step colder spark plugs
I'd say it's a toss up between the pump and the FPR. There is no real air to burn in the tank, so I wouldn't be concerned about a fire so much.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-19, 08:02 PM   #4
itsm3ming
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: Launch | STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

itsm3ming will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the reply guys! Think I meant to say the AEM supposedly “burns” out internally vs failing like the DWs.

The AEM FPR Has a mechanical gauge with oil inside. It doesn’t display constant pressure when the key is in the “on” mode (push to start, not sure if that plays a factor?) but had a friend look at it as I went into “on” and saw it spike to 60 and back to 0.

So I actually found out that I had a DW300c fuel pump that was put in without my knowledge or consent. When I got my car worked on at the shop, I clearly told them I’d like to keep my AEM fuel pump but guess the owner of the shop knew that but maybe his techs heard to swap “everything” and took that as literal without the details. That just adds another mishap to the list of cons for this “reputable” shop. Sigh.

Two more weeks till second track day but nervous if to find something else before then. Welp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-25-19, 03:48 AM   #5
user1029
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: HTA86.
My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of

Is it hardwired to a constant power source? One reason my first aeromotive FP failed was because it wasnt
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement