GR Hatch: 2008 STi Track Car Journal - Page 8 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2008 STi Track Car Journal
2008 STi Track Car Journal
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GR Hatch: 2008 STi Track Car Journal

Old 04-13-18, 04:32 AM   #71
Scargo
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Driver lobotomy
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Scargo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 2008 STi Track Car Journal

Four days at The Glen coming up! Note new racing mirrors.

Was chasing and pretty well keeping up with a rare (for the US) $150K+ Exige V6 Cup R.
Attached Thumbnails
2008 STi Track Car Journal-side-sti-cm-sm-jpg-jpg   2008 STi Track Car Journal-chasing-exige-sm-jpg-copy-jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-18, 06:06 AM   #72
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

Yeah looking good. I'm going lapping Saturday, but the weather will be trying. 39*, rain and 20+ mile an hour wind predicted. Plus ice and snow warnings north of the track location which is 12 miles from Lake Michigan. Now I know why I never signed up for this clubs first track outing during previous years.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-13-18, 04:03 PM   #73
Scargo
Gold Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
... Now I know why I never signed up for this clubs first track outing during previous years.
Three of my buddies went out last weekend to greet snow and slush till it melted at 10:30. One said I didn't miss anything.

Old 10-01-19, 06:35 AM   #74
Scargo
Gold Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Update time?
A cautionary tale.

Just returned from three days at Watkins Glen. On Sunday, I killed the rod bearings in my '07 STi daily driver. I write this to share my experience.

I should know better. I should have had a catch can after the Crawford air/oil separator and not connected the A/OS vent to the intake. As it was, I ran the Crawford's vent back to the cold air intake and my Crawford was not up to the task of dealing with all the oil mist and the frequent high G's. If you do higher G turns that aggravates the oil blowby problems. The head gets loaded with oil and blown out through the vents by crankcase pressure. One solution is KillerB's control valve.
I knew I was getting some oil into the intake so I added a fair amount of Torco to boost the octane, hoping to compensate for the oil from the blowby. I eventually had so much blowby that the car started smoking lightly and I'd get puffs when I shifted. Revving it to 7K, and it running fairly hot, didn't help! WGI is very hard on cars!

I took the DD to WGI because the hard pipe on the race car was cracked at the last minute before loading to go to the track. So, I threw some race pads on it and off I went.

Meanwhile, the '08 has a new turbo. I took the air filter off the car for one session on the track and it ingested a tire marble. That really wreaked havoc on the impeller. You would wonder how tire rubber would get up in that area! I've never found marbles on the engine or even in the engine compartment.
The engine has 45 hours on it and has performed beautifully this season. I will run it one more time at Club Motorsports on October 11th and 12th. Then I'll likely go through it and refresh it.

Last edited by Scargo; 10-01-19 at 07:01 AM. Reason: added pic
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement