Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Blue 2017 WRX STI
Fav Mod: Corsa CBE, Grimmspeed DP
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Fatghost is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Downpipe blanket

Hi all, I am sorry if topic was already discussed but i am unable to find it, so my question is:

Does anyone have downpipe blanket and is it worth it?

PTP has two options on their page, it looks like it has difference in constructive material for outer layer, which one will suffice daily drive.
PTP Subaru Downpipe Blankets | PTP Turbo Blankets
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-19, 04:45 AM   #2
guzie
Advanced Mastery Level III

Fav Mod: Nameless muffler delete
My Subaru Parts for sale

guzie is just really niceguzie is just really niceguzie is just really niceguzie is just really nice
Default Re: Downpipe blanket

Go for the lava version between the two. I wrap my downpipe and use their lava turbo blanket. The downpipe throws off slot of heat and it’s not that far from your intercooler. First thing I did was get rid of the factory shield and put on the turbo blanket when I got the new 2019. Fully wrapped my ELH I put on with its up pipe as well. Helps tremendously with under hood heat management and keep the heat into the turbo for faster spool up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-04-19, 01:47 AM   #3
Fatghost
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie View Post
Go for the lava version between the two. I wrap my downpipe and use their lava turbo blanket. The downpipe throws off slot of heat and it’️s not that far from your intercooler. First thing I did was get rid of the factory shield and put on the turbo blanket when I got the new 2019. Fully wrapped my ELH I put on with its up pipe as well. Helps tremendously with under hood heat management and keep the heat into the turbo for faster spool up.

Thanks. Yes, that was on my mind together with turbo blanket.
Future header i might leave bare as lots of discussion is between wrapping or coating, i didnt find so strong positive for wrapping and i will not do rewrap every year just to see if everything is ok with header. Regarding coating, here in my area is impossible to do professionally so that one is out, buying already coated is also not an option as I can read pre coated peel off after a year. 😒
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-19, 05:03 AM   #4
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

But wrapping the header BEFORE the turbo is what makes the larger performance difference. Covering wrapping DP is only to reduce engine bay temp, and radiation to intercooler.

FYI My Tomei header and DEI wrap went four years and 40K in all weather conditions before it needed to be replaced. I just re-wrapped it. It's not that hard and not that expensive. I wrap the top of my down pipe - till it gets near the the bend at the bottom of the car. I have pics - been meaning to make my first thread - gotta get the pics from Google Drive to Google pic to post I think.
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.

I'm putting IAG back in here. Engine wise the car hase been trouble free for 56K. My STI is nearing the 60K minimum JJ led meto expect from a 2618 piston equipped block and it's still running strong.

Last edited by mheyman; 11-04-19 at 05:15 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-04-19, 08:04 AM   #5
Fatghost
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
But wrapping the header BEFORE the turbo is what makes the larger performance difference. Covering wrapping DP is only to reduce engine bay temp, and radiation to intercooler.

FYI My Tomei header and DEI wrap went four years and 40K in all weather conditions before it needed to be replaced. I just re-wrapped it. It's not that hard and not that expensive. I wrap the top of my down pipe - till it gets near the the bend at the bottom of the car. I have pics - been meaning to make my first thread - gotta get the pics from Google Drive to Google pic to post I think.
Yes I know about that, but I am little bit skeptic after reading ton of conversations about that subject, few of them said although it is better to leave it bare than wrap it.
I am planning to get Tomei UEL as well and I dont know how good and efficient is their wrap which comes in the box!?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-04-19, 08:14 AM   #6
guzie
Advanced Mastery Level III

Fav Mod: Nameless muffler delete
My Subaru Parts for sale

guzie is just really niceguzie is just really niceguzie is just really niceguzie is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatghost View Post
Yes I know about that, but I am little bit skeptic after reading ton of conversations about that subject, few of them said although it is better to leave it bare than wrap it.

I am planning to get Tomei UEL as well and I dont know how good and efficient is their wrap which comes in the box!?

Get a ELH or don’t bother. ELH spool up quicker and help with heat balancing out of the cylinders.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-04-19, 09:20 AM   #7
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatghost View Post
Difficult to say for sure, but the pictures and description on line look similar to DEI. I would plan to use it. If I didn't like it I'd just toss it and use DEI Ti wrap.

The advantages of wrap:
Inexpensive.
Easy DIY - even for replacement if and or when necessary.
Best performing on pipe "thin" insulation - by a wide margin.

The downsides to wrap are:
* Need to eventually replace.
* Fire hazard if oilled.
* Can promote aging of header material.

I worried about all these things before I built my car. After 4 years and 40K my "cheap" header is fine. I replaced the wrap - big deal. I maintain my car. I am careful not to get oil on it. (mind you tiny bit will just burn of as it would without wrap.) I inspect it when I do changes - which is quite often. Don't drive a car with a wrapped header if you can see smoke! Might be best not to drive any car that is smoking
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.

I'm putting IAG back in here. Engine wise the car hase been trouble free for 56K. My STI is nearing the 60K minimum JJ led meto expect from a 2618 piston equipped block and it's still running strong.

Last edited by mheyman; 11-05-19 at 09:03 AM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 11-05-19, 08:21 AM   #8
Fatghost
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
Difficult to say for sure, but the pictures and description on line look similar to DEI. I would plan to use it. If I didn't like it I'd just toss it and use DEI Ti wrap.

The advantages of wrap:
Inexpensive.
Easy DIY - even for replacement if and or when necessary.
Best performing the pipe insulation - by a wide margin.

The downsides to wrap are:
* Need to eventually replace.
* Fire hazard if oilled.
* Can promote aging of header material.

I worried about all these things before I built my car. After 4 years and 40K my "cheap" header is fine. I replaced the wrap - big deal. I maintain my car. I am careful not to get oil on it. (mind you tiny bit will just burn of as it would without wrap.) I inspect it when I do changes - which is quite often. Don't drive a car with a wrapped header if you can see smoke! Might be best not to drive any car that is smoking
I might even wrap it at a end and regular check will be done as usually I do, after some time I will see how wrap is holding and condition as well.
Heat management is now my first task, to eliminate as much as possible.

Nice one with smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzie View Post
Get a ELH or don’t bother. ELH spool up quicker and help with heat balancing out of the cylinders.

UEL or stock
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement