Corsa catback + IHI VF56 twinscroll setup = superior sound - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Corsa catback + IHI VF56 twinscroll setup = superior sound
Corsa catback + IHI VF56 twinscroll setup = superior sound
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Corsa catback + IHI VF56 twinscroll setup = superior sound

Old 10-16-19, 04:26 PM   #41
dlheman
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2011 WRX STI UK-Type
Fav Mod: S206 NBR chassis package and R205 Spec-C VF56 twinscroll turbo.
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

dlheman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Corsa catback + IHI VF56 twinscroll setup = superior sound

Lovely!

Oh waw, the VF58 is quite a bit bigger than the 42 eh?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-19, 04:28 PM   #42
dlheman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I recently had the car fined tuned to suit this awesome replacement panel air filter called Sprint Filter and here is the current boost pressure on 93 Oct.

I got a feeling this turbo likes an intake upgrade.

OEM filter tune vs Sprint Filter tune:

The only intake modifications I've done are:
Tomei turbo inlet
AVO airbox hose (this does improve the boost a bit, but I lost the graph)
Sprint Filter replacement panel filter

Last edited by dlheman; 10-16-19 at 04:49 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-17-19, 10:49 AM   #43
STINick19
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

STINick19 is on a distinguished road

Nice, thanks for sharing!

For comparison, below is a vdyno and boost curve from my previous '16 WRX with the FA20DIT (twin scroll, ball bearing turbo). The only real power mods were a flex fuel tune, GS TMIC & GS EBCS. This is with the stock intake, downpipe, & exhaust.

This run was in 3rd gear on E50 fuel (~96 octane) because of the poor quality 91 octane here in California. The 91 tune has the same boost curve, but is significantly down on power. The ethanol allows for more aggressive timing thanks to its added knock resistance and cooling properties.

The boost could come on even sooner (especially with an aftermarket downpipe). However, the tune was conservative, intentionally limiting torque/boost below 3,000 rpm, to help preserve the weak rods. Direct injection turbo engines are notoriously prone to bending rods at lower rpms thanks to excessive cylinder pressure combined with knock & pre-ignition (LSPI) susceptibility during low speed, high load conditions. The tune begins ramping boost & torque up around ~3,500 rpm.

The FA20's tiny Garrett MGT2259S turbo certainly runs out of steam sooner than the VF56.

I made a gallery of a few stock block, turbo, and fuel system FA20s pushing 400+ whp on ~E50-E60 fuel. Very impressive for just bolt-ons. Shows a promising future for the next gen STI.

400+ whp stock block & turbo FA20s

Last edited by STINick19; 10-17-19 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added info
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-17-19, 06:30 PM   #44
dlheman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I am sure it must be nice to run on ethanol, afterall timing makes a responsive engine and certainly helps out at the top when boost tapers down.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM   #45
STINick19

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlheman View Post
I am sure it must be nice to run on ethanol, after all timing makes a responsive engine and certainly helps out at the top when boost tapers down.
The timing up top is key to making power on the FA20.

Unfortunately, it's rumored that 91 octane here in California is closer to 89-90 and it has little knock resistance. I was down at least 80 peak hp on 91 and the power drops off a lot sooner

You can see the huge power difference at the same boost levels.

The great thing about the FA is that the stock fuel system is capable of supporting up to E60. The HPFP starts to stick at higher ethanol contents due to lack of lubrication. All that's required for flex fuel on the FA is Cobb's $600 flex fuel sensor. The stock fuel pump and injectors are fine.

Despite that, I still ended up with an STI with the old EJ257

Last edited by STINick19; Yesterday at 06:46 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM   #46
dlheman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

So, which do you prefer? The FA20DIT or the EJ257?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM   #47
STINick19

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlheman View Post
So, which do you prefer? The FA20DIT or the EJ257?
I 100% prefer the FA20DIT with a tune because I have access to ethanol fuel. The stock tune or aftermarket tune on 91 octane leaves a lot to be desired.

It's hard to beat new technology and the response offered by the direct injection, higher compression ratio, and low mounted, twin scroll ball bearing turbo. The FA20 also improves the electronics (wideband O2 sensor, intake manifold temp sensor, oil temp sensor, fuel pressure sensor, 2 knock sensors placed for "better" detection along with an improved knock control strategy, etc.). Not to mention the added bonus of 30+ mpgs on regular fuel. I managed better fuel economy on E50 with the FA20 than I do on 91 in the STI.

The FA20 isn't perfect though and doesn't do well on 91 octane. So if you're stuck with < 93 octane fuel then the EJ257 is probably the better choice. The EJ257 also has higher power limits at this time due to the forged rods and port injection. But like you, I prefer more streetable, responsive builds that maximize the area under the curve. I'm not one to seek monster power numbers. I prefer a nice flat torque curve.

To be a fair comparison though, I'd really like to see how the EJ257 does with a twin scroll setup like yours. That could potentially sway my decision in the other direction given the added displacement.

I also wouldn't mind driving an EJ207 powered car that revs to 8k rpm I imagine that would be my choice (EJ207 > FA20 > EJ257). I'm interested to see what the next gen STI offers.

Obviously, the rest of the STI is better than the WRX (drivetrain, brakes, steering, suspension, etc.), which is what ultimately brought me to the EJ257.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #48
dlheman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINick19 View Post
I 100% prefer the FA20DIT with a tune because I have access to ethanol fuel. The stock tune or aftermarket tune on 91 octane leaves a lot to be desired.

It's hard to beat new technology and the response offered by the direct injection, higher compression ratio, and low mounted, twin scroll ball bearing turbo. The FA20 also improves the electronics (wideband O2 sensor, intake manifold temp sensor, oil temp sensor, fuel pressure sensor, 2 knock sensors placed for "better" detection along with an improved knock control strategy, etc.). Not to mention the added bonus of 30+ mpgs on regular fuel. I managed better fuel economy on E50 with the FA20 than I do on 91 in the STI.

The FA20 isn't perfect though and doesn't do well on 91 octane. So if you're stuck with < 93 octane fuel then the EJ257 is probably the better choice. The EJ257 also has higher power limits at this time due to the forged rods and port injection. But like you, I prefer more streetable, responsive builds that maximize the area under the curve. I'm not one to seek monster power numbers. I prefer a nice flat torque curve.

To be a fair comparison though, I'd really like to see how the EJ257 does with a twin scroll setup like yours. That could potentially sway my decision in the other direction given the added displacement.

I also wouldn't mind driving an EJ207 powered car that revs to 8k rpm I imagine that would be my choice (EJ207 > FA20 > EJ257). I'm interested to see what the next gen STI offers.

Obviously, the rest of the STI is better than the WRX (drivetrain, brakes, steering, suspension, etc.), which is what ultimately brought me to the EJ257.
Yeah, I agree with you there. FA20DIT feels nicer to me.

And I look forward for your own EJ257 twinscroll setup. There are many options out there, but you can probably see now why the VF56/58 are appealing (more than just being rare).

That being said, the easiest way to go twinscroll is to get Blouch XTR 1.5 twinscroll. I had a talk with Wlliam Knose (Delicious Tuning) and he told me the turbo will make good power and its fine on stock shortblock - but we have to keep the torque down to protect short block. He also told me, it will be less responsive too - but that's the trade off and maybe it isn't an issue at all especially if Ethanol is accessible. If I have a built short block, then it makes sense to give 1.5 twinscroll a go. If that's not enough, well, there is always that Owen Development twinscroll turbo (which I am sure will be epic expensive) - if stock location is favored over rotated.

EFR twinscroll looks tempting though.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement