Transmission/Drivetrain Clicking Noise During High Speed Turn - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Clicking Noise During High Speed Turn
Clicking Noise During High Speed Turn
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Transmission/Drivetrain Clicking Noise During High Speed Turn

Old 07-12-19, 10:06 AM   #1
Brewski6613
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Silver 2004 STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Brewski6613 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clicking Noise During High Speed Turn

I recently noticed that my car has developed a clicking sound when turning at high speeds, say on an exit ramp. It seems to be in frequency with the tire speed. I did some testing with pushing the clutch in while turning in an attempt to hear the noise and noticed I could feel the clicking through the clutch pedal. My question is whether the noise could be the CV or a wheel bearing. I checked for play in the front wheels and everything was rock solid. Also, the CV joint boots are in good shape with no rips or tears. The car is a 2004 STI with 150k miles on it. Any ideas on what it could be would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, is it normal for the center diff to make a clicking sound if you spin one wheel and hold the other? When I was under the car checking for the noise, I noticed spinning one wheel caused the diff to make noise, but I wasn't sure if that's how the LSD in my car is supposed to sound. This could be the noise I'm hearing but I wouldn't think when turning, the inside and outside wheels are spinning at different enough speed to cause the sound I'm hearing.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-19, 10:16 AM   #2
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Tint
My Subaru Parts for sale

awenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Clicking Noise During High Speed Turn

Before anything, double check your engine mounts. Either loose or worn. Diff will make some noise but without hearing it, it's hard to judge
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-12-19, 10:54 AM   #3
Brewski6613
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks for the suggestion. I upgraded all the mounts to group n about a year ago so they are new, but I'll definitely double check the tightness of all of them.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-19, 04:22 AM   #4
khrisperry
Joined the Conversation

Car: Silver 06 STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

khrisperry is an unknown quantity at this point

The 04 STi had Wheel Bearing issues. It's the reason for change from 04 (5x100) to 05+ (5x114). My guess is that as you put more load on the wheel (i.e. higher speed on ramp) the noise gets louder. I ran into this a number of times with my 04 which was on the track a lot. Never ran into it with my 06.

I'd recommend you take off the wheel and spin the front by hand. You will probably feel it isn't as smooth as it should be. I'd recommend taking the knuckle off, and having new bearing pressed in by a shop. If you try to do it yourself it can be a bit of a PITA, because the bearing must be put in nice and straight. If not, you end up right back in the same position 300 miles later (which is what happened to me ).
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-17-19, 07:40 AM   #5
Brewski6613
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I think you are right with the wheel bearing. I suspected it but really didn't want to have to replace them. The car has 150k miles so its probably time to replace them all. Unfortunately I just found that my rear strut tower has rusted through where the strut mounts, so fixing that is now my priority. Thanks for the input!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement