GD: yamahaSHO's Street Car - Likely keeping it as a daily! - Page 202 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
yamahaSHO's Street Car - Likely keeping it as a daily!
yamahaSHO's Street Car - Likely keeping it as a daily!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: yamahaSHO's Street Car - Likely keeping it as a daily!

Old 05-01-19, 04:35 AM   #2011
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: yamahaSHO's Street Car - Likely keeping it as a daily!

Congrats of sorts . . . it will be a benefit regardless.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-19, 11:27 AM   #2012
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
Congrats of sorts . . . it will be a benefit regardless.
Don't worry, I won't lock your maps. It is very helpful to have one software for all the Subaru's I work with vs having the owner get their copy of ATR.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-03-19, 12:06 PM   #2013
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

My 45 minute drive today cruising from my house (7,800ft) to about 9,000 ft above sea level was pretty fun. I have been doing some fine tuning of compensation tables for MAF and boost and I'm pretty happy with how the car is behaving.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-06-19, 08:48 AM   #2014
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

I have never been very happy with how I had my AOS being vented back into the intake, in any version I had. My first setup, I had the hose Y'd to two ports on the turbo inlet, just to keep up the volume, but it was a mess. When I did the new turbo setup, I tried to clean it up and use one hose, but that required me to reduce the 5/8" hose to something smaller to fit on the inlet. I don't think this kept up as I had some oil seeping out of the cartridge of the turbo. I could also never feel any vacuum on the hose when I disconnected it while the car was running (didn't even change how the car ran with that vacuum leak).

That said, I took my intake off and had a buddy weld up a port in it to not only keep the size of the hose consistent, but actually create some vacuum on the AOS itself. I need to finish taking the powder coat off and repaint it, but here's what I got.

Design is similar to what you would find in a PCV exhaust dump setup (I also did this on my S2000... I should test the flow on it too).

I was curious on how well it would draw some flow from the port, so I blew into the intake and put my finger in the port, and with it wet, I could feel air being pulled in at just the low flow of my breath. I took it a step further and used my air compressor to test...
https://www.youtube.com/v/1oR9xEQiDY8

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-11-19, 10:33 AM   #2015
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

So this seems to work well... At WOT, my AFR has leaned out by .6. Dipstick is nice and tightly sealed, and no more oil smells. The inlet was ineffective as I could not feel any vacuum/airflow when disconnected at idle. This new setup does have vacuum/airflow at idle and appears to really work once the turbo/motor starts pulling air through the intake.

I would be curious to put a gauge on the crankcase an see if it goes into negative pressure.

Everything else is tracking good at altitude though.

Last edited by yamahaSHO; 05-11-19 at 07:41 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-12-19, 09:06 AM   #2016
Gigs
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: S204 Engine
My Subaru Parts for sale

Gigs has a spectacular aura aboutGigs has a spectacular aura aboutGigs has a spectacular aura about

I miss the Cobb Brotuner picture

Kinda impressive how much of a change that makes
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-13-19, 05:31 AM   #2017
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
I miss the Cobb Brotuner picture

Kinda impressive how much of a change that makes
I could always change it back.

I took the car out to test some of the changes I made (AOS vent, +1 more mm of IWG preload, adjusted the map to bring AFR back in check). The power the car makes after the dyno tuning is noticeable, and I wasn't unhappy with the power before that.

https://www.youtube.com/v/3g09sW8pHHk

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-19-19, 02:54 PM   #2018
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip has a spectacular aura aboutBaronOBeefdip has a spectacular aura aboutBaronOBeefdip has a spectacular aura about

Congrats on everything! I also liked the BroTuner pic

I bet the car feels better for sure. I want that ride in July
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-21-19, 07:33 PM   #2019
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
Congrats on everything! I also liked the BroTuner pic

I bet the car feels better for sure. I want that ride in July
That is coming up pretty quickly, huh? Trying to get Brandon out here too... Zach should definitely be out, hopefully the SHO is put back together. He upgraded the turbo again, as well as the intake manifold, cams, and coils. It should do 1,000whp soon!

I sat down to do a few different maps for cars the other night and decided to make one for myself, with more boost! One of the cars I am working on now is a GT-R, which is exciting. The software (Cobb) seems easier to me than the Subaru stuff and they have a few cool features... Like 9 on-the-fly maps! After a couple days, he ordered ID1300x2's, and fuel pumps to go E85. I will start him out on an E85-only map (actually, progressive with the on-the-fly maps), but hope for him to put in a FlexFuel sensor soon.

Upping my banner game.

Likes 4 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement