What clutch for DD with 550 + torque - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
What clutch for DD with 550 + torque
What clutch for DD with 550 + torque
Go Back   STI Forums > > > What clutch for DD with 550 + torque

Old 05-08-19, 02:40 PM   #11
nj kiter
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: aw 2005 sti !!!
Fav Mod: tbe
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

nj kiter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What clutch for DD with 550 + torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post
Do you actually "need" a clutch that can take 660 to 755 of torque?! 6 pucks aren't meant to be daily driven...

Do I "need" a Clutch that can take 660-755 of torque? Depends on how far i'm looking to push this 4 cylinder. Technically I dont "need" a clutch that high, or even "need" to own this car all together. I'm very aware that a 6 puck is not meant to be daily driven on, and I do believe I said my car was not a daily driver either so I am not worried about daily driving a 6 puck clutch.

From my understanding you dont have to have a twin disk that goes as high as you mentioned, sure they do but I do believe that exedy's and other brands offer lower holding torque capacity. I am hoping someone with real world twin disk experience can chime in about pedal pressure between a single disk traditional clutch and a twin disk kit designed to hold the same amount of torque?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-19, 03:07 PM   #12
[email protected]
Authorized Vendor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2011 STI Sedan
Fav Mod: Arcflash LLC Ohlins Coilovers
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

joshua@arcflashllc is on a distinguished road

The DS isn't moving if the car isn't moving..

Quote:
Yes, well some of the issues were misfires at idle while sitting in traffic, etc.
SPL Suspension Components
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-08-19, 03:21 PM   #13
[email protected]
Authorized Vendor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj kiter View Post
Do I "need" a Clutch that can take 660-755 of torque? Depends on how far i'm looking to push this 4 cylinder. Technically I dont "need" a clutch that high, or even "need" to own this car all together. I'm very aware that a 6 puck is not meant to be daily driven on, and I do believe I said my car was not a daily driver either so I am not worried about daily driving a 6 puck clutch.

From my understanding you dont have to have a twin disk that goes as high as you mentioned, sure they do but I do believe that exedy's and other brands offer lower holding torque capacity. I am hoping someone with real world twin disk experience can chime in about pedal pressure between a single disk traditional clutch and a twin disk kit designed to hold the same amount of torque?
I run a twin plate in my Porsche and while it'll hold plenty of power it's awful in traffic!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-08-19, 03:30 PM   #14
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is just really niceNoximus is just really niceNoximus is just really niceNoximus is just really niceNoximus is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The DS isn't moving if the car isn't moving..

Probably from the rev up and down while inching forward etc. It’s been a few years since I’ve done that research.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-08-19, 03:33 PM   #15
[email protected]
Authorized Vendor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Probably from the rev up and down while inching forward etc. It’s been a few years since I’ve done that research.
The driveshaft basically isn't doing anything in that situation. I'm not trying to argue with you at all. I was just trying to be funny. The flywheel/clutch revs with the motor. The DS does not. It just moves if the car moves so it's not going to have any effect on that issue. Just like lightweight wheels or brakes wouldn't either.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 05-08-19, 07:38 PM   #16
mheyman
Gold Member

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
You’re saying a CF DS doesn’t reduce your rotational mass? Really? What clutch for DD with 550 + torque

There have been documented issues when using a CF DS, 12lbs lightweight flywheel, and a lightweight crank pulley. They have fixed it by going with a heavier lightweight flywheel, return to the OEM flywheel, return to the OEM crank pulley or to a Fluidampr crank pulley.

Error on my part, meant crank-shaft. Rotational mass meant of the engine, any sensors and the codes they might trigger.

ADDED: Sure I've read of cases where lightweight rotating assembly, (the parts that should be balanced together) created problems that were cured by swapping those parts - sometimes with heavier parts. Make me wonder how far you have to go, IE very lightweight rotating assembly, strong cam springs and large cams, and tune, or how poor a job you have to do overall to make that happen - cause I believe some people run all that and don't have problems. Anyway . .

the DS will not affect them.

Porshe parts are always so pretty! Need one just to have a reason to buy them!

NJ-Kiter? You doin the install?

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 05-09-19 at 04:31 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-09-19, 03:11 PM   #17
nj kiter
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: aw 2005 sti !!!
Fav Mod: tbe
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

nj kiter is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, If i were to not do a twin disk i would shoot for a full faced clutch as the 6 puck though is great for what its advertised for does not last as long as other kinds. Yes mheyman i would be doing the install myself.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-12-19, 05:20 PM   #18
user1029
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: HTA86.
My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of

I've been driving an ACT 6puck + stock flywheel for 40,000 miles now and it is very tolerable for me
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement