Best gen STI for time attack - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Best gen STI for time attack
Best gen STI for time attack
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Best gen STI for time attack

Old 07-25-19, 04:13 AM   #31
TBAG
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: WRB Bugeye STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Subaru Parts for sale

TBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud of
Default Re: Best gen STI for time attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by awenthol View Post
Slightly off topic, slightly not....anyone see any articles/threads with long term durability of the Willall billet block? Is it everything it was promised to be? Mostly seems to be drag race guys running them, so hard to find good road course feedback.
There is just not enough data for road course yet. They have oil temp issues based on what I hear. They get hot and dont cool down easily. At this stage I prefer two oem casting engines to one expensive billet.

SJ1000 was very fast in Subinats but it did a lot less laps than CMA car at similarish power. And on their high boost run I was chasing it. It was spraying fluid all over the place.

4 door, simple set up that is competitive is hard. As street class is very fast these days. IAG cars are all in 500whp plus. In WTAC you need atleast 650hp...
A 400 to 450 whp evo or sti will be reasonably reliable but competitive? Maybe not. Specially as uou say you dont want yo put JRZ in it.

M235 will be even worse imo. As you pay BMW premium.

Maybe modify the C5 to fit TA too?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-19, 06:50 AM   #32
d k
Becoming A Contributor

Car: 75 914
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

d k is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder how much of the heating issue is compounded by the fact that STIs have a top mount ic? From the engineering point of view, it seems like a horrible idea for 2 reasons. 1. It would heat soak and 2. Its putting more air into the engine compartment when you should be trying to get it out?
First mod I would do is to have a front mount with an extracting hood.

Looking at previous gta results, STIs are always at the top. So being as unreliable as they are, they still seem to place.

I started down the STai path because several people told me they can be made to handle like a rwd car.

Is this correct?

Also, Im noticing many more stis than Evos.

Is the general consensus that the Evo is a better platform? Is that evo x or 9?

I thought about the M235i because they can be had real cheap now and they had a mechanical lsd as a factory option. They also based the 235ir off that car.
Like with anything, there are pros and cons.

If the street class is getting ridiculous, then I would even consider the enthusiast class...

Now, going back to my original question...if one chose to go with the STI, what would yeld the fastest laptime for a given budget?

For me, my favorite years are the ‘06-‘07.
I like them much more than the current gen, but the current gen has a better rear suspension. Is that enough of a reason to go with the newer stuff?

The earlier ones are much lower in price, so I could spend much more in suspension and development.

If the Evo is a better starting point, I would consider that as well.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBAG View Post
There is just not enough data for road course yet. They have oil temp issues based on what I hear. They get hot and dont cool down easily. At this stage I prefer two oem casting engines to one expensive billet.

SJ1000 was very fast in Subinats but it did a lot less laps than CMA car at similarish power. And on their high boost run I was chasing it. It was spraying fluid all over the place.

4 door, simple set up that is competitive is hard. As street class is very fast these days. IAG cars are all in 500whp plus. In WTAC you need atleast 650hp...
A 400 to 450 whp evo or sti will be reasonably reliable but competitive? Maybe not. Specially as uou say you dont want yo put JRZ in it.

Maybe modify the C5 to fit TA too?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-25-19, 08:20 AM   #33
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Tint
My Subaru Parts for sale

awenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I was going to comment on this as well. I have a 335d that is nothing more than a daily, and it's amazing how expensive parts are. Even considering the volumes of 3 series BMW has sold globally, OEM and aftermarket parts are ridiculous.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-25-19, 08:26 AM   #34
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

I wouldn't say they can be made to handle like a RWD car. They can be made to make the rear end toss-able, but it's still got the two front wheels pulling the car. Now... You can make the STi RWD...

If you take time to address aero, you can extract heat from the engine bay and a TMIC. Some insulation helps as well.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-25-19, 08:29 AM   #35
awenthol
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Tint
My Subaru Parts for sale

awenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the roughawenthol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by d k View Post

Now, going back to my original question...if one chose to go with the STI, what would yeld the fastest laptime for a given budget?

For me, my favorite years are the ‘06-‘07.
I like them much more than the current gen, but the current gen has a better rear suspension. Is that enough of a reason to go with the newer stuff?

The earlier ones are much lower in price, so I could spend much more in suspension and development.
'05-07 would be best. Spend the difference on building it up or find the right one that already has someone else's money stuck into it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-25-19, 09:00 AM   #36
d k
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

So its not a tangible benefit to have the multi link suspension?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-26-19, 12:08 AM   #37
TBAG

My Subaru Parts for sale

TBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud of

Quote:
So its not a tangible benefit to have the multi link suspension?
Advanced multilink rear, agricultural McPherson front on an understeery chassis with an engine on top of front axle.

Not a good combo imo.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-26-19, 10:22 AM   #38
d k
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Soooo... is an agricultural front with an agricultural rear better?

I never figured out the mcstrut philosophy.
It's supposed to be cheaper, but really, how much?
It would be great if the GD had dual A arms front and back.

Quote:
Advanced multilink rear, agricultural McPherson front on an understeery chassis with an engine on top of front axle.

Not a good combo imo.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-26-19, 02:51 PM   #39
TBAG

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Soooo... is an agricultural front with an agricultural rear better?

I never figured out the mcstrut philosophy.

It's supposed to be cheaper, but really, how much?

It would be great if the GD had dual A arms front and back.
Not good but better balanced for sure.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement