how to strap down car on trailer - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
how to strap down car on trailer
how to strap down car on trailer
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > how to strap down car on trailer

Old 12-11-14, 07:27 AM   #21
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: how to strap down car on trailer

I need to put some D-rings on my trailer as I currently cannot cross the front straps, but this works well.

I've used a U-Haul trailer with a wheel net and it was a PITA... I would never think about actually buying a wheel net.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-14, 07:42 AM   #22
got2boostit2
Administrator
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

got2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to all

Jason, Why does the S2000 appear to be forward on the trailer to me? How does it tow in that position? Have you ever obtained tongue weight? Just curious.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-11-14, 07:49 AM   #23
got2boostit2
Administrator

My Subaru Parts for sale

got2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossdog View Post
Well, I'm ready to install recessed 6000lb D-Ring tie down points on the trailer I will be using to haul my 2005 STi.
I haven't decided to use straps on all 4 corners using the factory tie down points or Wheel nets. I like that the Wheel nets have 8 tie down points rather than 4. This provides 4 holding points for all directions of motion rather than 2 points that the 4-corner method provides. Also, the car is riding on its suspension uncompressed.
I did not see anyone in this thread refer to usung the wheel nets. I called Mac's Custom Tie downs to get info and pricing on wheel nets but I couldn't get anyone to answer the phone nor return my call???
It looks like no horror stories using any of the methods.
If anyone has a case against one method or another, Please share.
Mac's might be closed this week due to PRI in Indy. Want me to ask them Saturday when I visit their booth?

Protune video

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-14, 07:58 AM   #24
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
Jason, Why does the S2000 appear to be forward on the trailer to me? How does it tow in that position? Have you ever obtained tongue weight? Just curious.
Unlike the STi, it doesn't carry most of its weight on the front wheels.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-12-14, 07:21 AM   #25
bossdog
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: TWM Short Throw Shifter w/bushings
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bossdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
Mac's might be closed this week due to PRI in Indy. Want me to ask them Saturday when I visit their booth?
I got a call back form Josh at Mac's yesterday, he was very helpful. Based on my initial conversation, the wheel net option looks a bit too pricey. Right now I'm leaning toward using the factory tie-down points. The "through-the-wheel" option would work but I put the rubber dip spray on my track wheels to protect them from the brake dust (I Love how well it works, but thats a different thread). I hope to have a solution worked out with Mac's in the next week.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-19-14, 07:16 PM   #26
bossdog
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: TWM Short Throw Shifter w/bushings
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bossdog is an unknown quantity at this point

After several iterations on options for tie down, I'm back to through the wheel. Given I'll only trailer this once per year, I'll have to sacrifice the rubber dip on my track wheels. The owners manual points out factory approved points - they do use the caveat, that this is an emergency tow procedure. Using the factory tie points there is a concern under emergency maneuvers these tie points may stress or damage the chassis.

Going through the wheel (or likely any other method) It looks like the front will require Square ring for an idler placed in the deck about 6" in front of the wheel so the angle of the strap out does not contact the front bumper/lip on its way out front to the front D-ring .

[IMG][/IMG]

The back looks fine with no idler point

[IMG][/IMG]

Jeremy at Mac's was very helpful and Knowledgeable. I hope the get everything on order shortly.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-19-14, 08:59 PM   #27
got2boostit2
Administrator

My Subaru Parts for sale

By crossing the fronts it eliminates the need for Square rings. What was MaC's take on that approach?

Protune video

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement