Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

steve.schlos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Took my STI to the track

https://www.youtube.com/v/YAZwk1CmYKQ

Compete blast and good learning experience. Today was just on all seasons, but the goal wasn't to push the limit. Just to push a little and get an understanding of where the car is at and where i would like it to be but Summer

Mods:
Perrin AOS
slightly aggressive alignment
Rbf600 brake fluid

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by yamahaSHO; 01-15-18 at 03:21 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-18, 08:42 AM   #2
raisingAnarchy
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: CBS '16 STI
Fav Mod: Driver mod
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

raisingAnarchy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Took my STI to the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.schlos View Post
[video]https://youtu.be/YAZwk1CmYKQ[/video]

Compete blast and good learning experience. Today was just on all seasons, but the goal wasn't to push the limit. Just to push a little and get an understanding of where the car is at and where i would like it to be but Summer

Mods:
Perrin AOS
slightly aggressive alignment
Rbf600 brake fluid

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I'd bet that using the no-seasons is probably safer for a newbie. You'll reach the tire's limits at a much lower speed, and will learn what an overheated tire feels like at lower speeds too.

You can't reach the limits of the chassis on the stock summer tire, let alone the no-seasons, but that's not a bad thing at all. You'll more quickly become a better driver if you "handicap" yourself with a bad tire at first.

Don't just take my word for it.
Want to Be a Better Driver? Get a Worse Tire
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-15-18, 09:34 AM   #3
steve.schlos
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I am so happy to hear somebody Logical respond to this. You are absolutely correct. My purpose today was not to break track records, or even "push it". I was braking very early, apexing much sooner then ideal in order to ensure that if I did exceed the desired slip angle I wouldn't end up off track, and not always WOT in the sections I certainly could have been with more appropriate tires.

The days purpose was to set a minimum baseline for my bone stock car, and have a shit ton of fun.

Accomplished...

I won't even get into the shenanigans being portrayed on clubWRX.....
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-18, 11:07 AM   #4
tylerlieberman
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: Seat Time
My Subaru Parts for sale

tylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nicetylerlieberman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.schlos View Post
I was braking very early, apexing much sooner then ideal in order to ensure that if I did exceed the desired slip angle I wouldn't end up off track, and not always WOT in the sections I certainly could have been with more appropriate tires.
If you're trying to be safe, you're better off apexing LATE rather than early. Early apex means early track out, which means early off track.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-15-18, 11:34 AM   #5
steve.schlos
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerlieberman View Post
If you're trying to be safe, you're better off apexing LATE rather than early. Early apex means early track out, which means early off track.
yeah totally understand that. I suppose my thought process was by doing an earlier apex (and from what I noticed, most of the turns were ideal line late apex), and turning in about mid corner, it gave me plenty of room to slide outward as I managed my slip angle to keep it as minimal as possible.

This allowed me a good cushion (and you can see from my vid if you watch that I was really trying to maintain a smooth turn and using the whole track to reduce slip) to smoothly enter/exit the turns with plenty of wiggle room should the all seasons let go unexpectedly.

Thanks for the advice!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-15-18, 03:26 PM   #6
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

If you apex early and still find you have time to slide around, you're just going slow. I did see a lot of missed apexes where the whole track was not used in the video.

As long as you have fun; that's all that really matters.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement