Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: DSG Performance Coilovers
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

NGenesis9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting Sponsored for SCCA Autocross

Greetings all!
This will be my introductory post. I'm new to this blog, and a newly sponsored driver from Circuit Motorsports. I'm also working with DSG Performance for a sponsorship with them and I will be sure to send people to both of my generous benefactors. I'll be using this thread to keep track of my race events and vehicle modifications. I'll try to keep everyone entertained with some pictures and videos of my runs. I'd like to spend the next few moments telling your about myself and my big plans.
I'm not coming up on the end of my second season of SCCA Solo autocross in the Rocky Mountain Region (Colorado). I've been racing my 2011 WRX STi sedan in the Street Touring class and came to the realization that both the car and I have a lot of growing to do if we ever want to take home gold. At the recommendation of another STi driver in the same class I approached CMS about a sponsorship and they were gracious enough to help me out.
My car is nearly stock at the moment, all she's got is an AEM cold-air intake, a Corbeau front strut tower bar, StopTech slotted brake rotors and pads with steel brake lines, and Corbeau Racing harnesses. I've got big plans for the car though, and will first be pursuing some camber bolts and other suspension and handling upgrades. The car likes to understeer, and I like to push into turns too fast, it's a great combination that the tires always love to cheer and scream about.
The type of racing I do is much more about driver skill and car handling ability than it is about sheer power. The STi is powerful enough in it's current form anyways. I'll be looking into camber adjustments and bushings, sway bars, and coilovers. I've been told countless times by fellow racers that RaceComp coilovers are the way to go. As for everything else, I'm looking at Whiteline. If need be I might explore getting some much wider wheels, though I already have a set that are for track use only but are the stock width of 9 inches. Once the car is properly set up and a little more responsive on track I'll start looking at exhaust, downpipe, and up-pipe mods. The general rules for Street Touring are that anything leading up to or away from the turbo can be changed but nothing in between. That means intakes, headers, exhausts, intercoolers, and other applicable piping are legal but you cannot swap out the turbo itself or go into the engine and change cams, pulleys, or pistons for example. Stock boost is also required, which means any upgrades will need to increase power at that boost level. As always, it's important to have a plan with your parts upgrades, and the car will need a proper tune to fully respond to them.
As a long-term goal I'd like to attend some various driving schools and get the car fully built to the level that Street Touring class allows. For now I am but a merely weekend racer, but scheduling at work allowing, I'll be getting more involved in some NASA events, BMW club, and open track days out at High Plains Raceway. Next year I might be able to go Nationals and Match Tour. One day in the future, I'd love to be able to take this car through the trials of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb.

-Autocrossing this summer at Pikes Peak International Raceway
-I tried to go for a color scheme of green over blue. The colors are much brighter in person than they appear in pictures. It would appear however that these colors may not get to stay after sponsorship decals go on or if I get wider wheels.

Well that's all I've got for you guys right now. I'm very excited to be involved as a CMS sponsored driver and happy to be blogging with everyone here. My goal is always to spread the enthusiasm for the sport and get more people in to racing. I'll leave you for now with a couple photos of my car as it currently looks after setting up a contingency with GrimmSpeed. Updates will come in the future once I get my new CMS decals on it.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-14, 07:01 PM   #2
NGenesis9
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default RMSolo SCCA Autocross Event #11

Though this is early in my blog history, this event marked the final event for the 2014 summer season. I had originally believed that I hadn't attended enough events to qualify for the season, and was pleasantly surprised to discover with this event included I had enough to qualify. Unfortunately, there wasn't a professional photographer on site like usual, so this post's pictures are from my own GoPro.

It was a beautiful morning at Pikes Peak International Raceway in Fountain, CO. Beautiful looking, I should say, as the temperature was definitely cold enough to remind everyone this was mid-October in the rocky mountains. The cool air was wonderful for my engine, but not as much for the tires which took awhile to heat up. Thankfully, I had my dad co-driving with me and thus the car did twice as many runs which kept the tires warm. I chose not to spray my intercooler between runs thinking it was cold enough, but was advised by another driver that he could see the heat dissipation from my hood as I ran on track. A mistake I won't make again.

Street Touring Ultra had seven drivers at today's race. Four of us were the "regulars" who often lead the class in points at events and compete with each other, while the others were somewhat newer. We even welcomed in a first-timer to our class, and he managed to achieve a victory over my dad (who was driving my car) with his Hyundai Genesis.
Out of fear for rain that never came, race officials decided to limit everyone to three runs. Because of some technical glitch in the computer timing system, I was given a fourth re-run after one of my times recorded improperly. Thankfully, that fourth run was the quickest of my day, at 63.257 seconds. This track was one of the longer and much more complicated ones we've seen all season, and several novice drivers got lost out on course. There were also a lot of DNF occurrences from people missing gates, and as is routine, cones were flying all over. My final run was clean without hitting any cones and thus suffering the 2 second penalty, and due to that I managed, for the first time ever in my career, to place second in my class. This victory was achieved over a fellow CMS sponsored driver, Tyler Jago, who unfortunately was denied his re-run when a car spun out in front of him due to a complaint of his driving too fast under caution conditions. Tyler's other runs were technically faster than mine, but with some cone penalties. It was sad to take home victory for political reasons, but winning is winning.
The winter season will be starting in a few weeks on November 2nd. I'll be at as many winter events as I can, and will finally be getting some decent performance parts installed on my car before next spring. Keep an eye out for future blog posts as I chronicle upgrades to the car. For now, I'll leave you with the in-dash GoPro video of my fastest run. You can see my time on the right side right after I cross the finish line, might need to pause the video though.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-05-15, 12:48 PM   #3
NGenesis9
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Getting Sponsored for SCCA Autocross

Winter Series #1 and #2

Time for a two part blog. Over the weekends of November 2nd and November 9th we had back to back events, which is a rarity. These were also the first two races of the Winter series which is now on hiatus for the holiday season. Winter events are a little more laid back than summer events because points don't count, although most sponsors will still pay for a win. There are far fewer people at winter events which means more runs! Of course there's also issues with fewer people, but more on that later.
Event #1 was out at Front Range Airport east of Denver. The course designer must have gotten a little ambitious during the off-season, as it was an incredibly confusing course with a lot of full rings and turns. For the first time ever in my autocross career, I actually got lost on course (in my head, I was actually on the right path but believed I was lost and thus slowed down and ruined my run). In the fifth out of six runs a turbocharged Mustang blew its engine up just before the finish line, spewing it's V8 guts all over the course. In a much too over-protective and illogical decision, they decided to end the event there for safety concerns.
Normally that wouldn't be an issue for me, but some amateur rookie cone workers had managed to ruin my scores. On both my fourth and fifth runs, I ran a full second ahead of the next fastest competitor in my class and was comfortably set for my first ever First Place finish. But both runs had what I have termed a "phantom cone" counted against me. Normally you feel a bump and hear a thud and you know when you hit a cone. Without sounding defensive and arrogant, I know for a fact I did not hit any cones either run and have my wife as a witness to confirm that. The control booth wasn't keen to listen, however, and the 2 second cone penalty dropped me from first to fourth. And to top off the day, I was in too much of a hurry in the morning and forgot my GoPro. Sorry kids, no pictures or videos.
Event #2 was down at Pikes Peak International Raceway and was a much different setting. There was a different set of people and they seemed to have the act together a little better. At least until the second heat when a rogue Audi A6 center-punched a cone which knocked a hose loose underhood and proceeded to spew coolant all over the track as it finished its run. This time, however, they didn't shut down the event. They simply halted all traffic for a half hour while everyone poured kitty litter and swept it over the entire streak of coolant, the 2-inch wide streak that stretched the entire course, over it.
Only three of us competed in STU class at this event, two of which were myself and my dad in the same car. The other competitor had a fully built 2007 STi that has consistently beat me every time. This time was no different, though I did manage to close the time gap to just over a second. With a little more practice and some upgrades before the start of next season, I might finally get the upper hand. But I finally was able to get my CMS decals put on my car, and this event was the first chance to show it off! It attracted quite a few fans. One 16 year old at his very first autocross came over proclaiming it as "the best looking STI I've ever seen." He even shook my hand after realizing it was my car and not my father's. Another was asking about my tune, saying my car launched harder than any STI he'd ever seen. I found that interesting consider all I have for power currently is an AEM cold air intake and a factor COBB AccessPort stage 1 tune. Perhaps it's just my aggressive driving. All-wheel drive is great for launching, as I can simply rev to 5000 rpm, let the turbo spool up, and just dump the clutch while flooring the gas. Breaking rubber on all four tires momentarily is a rewarding feeling that never gets old. And with that, I will leave you all tonight. Enjoy the pictures below and the youtube link to my and my father's final runs of the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exbY...ature=youtu.be
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-15, 09:42 AM   #4
DSG Performance
Authorized Vendor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

DSG Performance is on a distinguished road

Can't wait to see the suspension done and some new lap times

DSG Edition's FTW!!

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-06-15, 10:58 AM   #5
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

I see Mike Forsythe's car!

We probably know a lot of the same people.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-13-15, 03:32 PM   #6
NGenesis9
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Yup, that is indeed his car! I am Rocky Mountain Region and haven't yet expanded to nationals, but 2015 could be the year!

DSG Edition Fortune Auto 500 coilovers are ordered and will soon be on the car for the 2015 autocross season! I'm hoping to get them finished up in time for one last winter series event in March before I start racing for points. I'm told I will have to re-learn the entire car's driving dynamics once the coilovers are on. I'll be taking several driving schools during the year and racing every event (tentatively planned). Updates on how that all goes.

Thanks again to DSG for hooking me up! For all those interested, here is the link to the coilovers I got.

DSG Special Limited Edition Fortune Auto 500 Series Coilovers: Subaru WRX STi

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-13-15, 04:01 PM   #7
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

If you're out for Nats, you'll see me. I live about 45 minutes away from LAP and visit with Mike, Chris, Shawn, Hsun, Ryan, Robert, and some others. Most of the time a few of them enjoy the free lodging a Casa de Jason.

You can see Mike's car on the left.

I'm curious to see how you like the coilovers. You'll need to tune your suspension to your liking.

Last edited by yamahaSHO; 01-16-15 at 07:14 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-15-15, 05:57 PM   #8
NGenesis9
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

That there is a beautiful STI. I actually started out looking for one between years 2003 and 2007 and ended up test driving my 2011 after the 07.

As for the coilovers, you're absolutely right, and my mechanic Keith Pizio has already advised me of the same thing. I got a 12k spring rate on all four, which may ruin daily comfort but I'm ok with that loss. We'll be tuning things in the best we can to counter understeer. My car, combined with my driving style, likes to plow straight through turns at high speed and usually it's those cones I'm taking out. I rarely, if ever, spin out. I just go into turns too hot, and we'll be tuning the car around that.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-15-15, 06:51 PM   #9
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about

Not that I really want you to go any faster as it's tough enough fighting with Chris and Tyler, but check out Kinch's videos on youtube. There is a lot of good information there on reading and understanding the course.

Your definitely going to feel 12k springs, but if the valving isn't too aggressive on the dampers the ride should be tolerable over relatively smooth roads.

Last edited by SubySal; 01-17-15 at 01:05 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-15-15, 09:19 PM   #10
yamahaSHO
BROtuner

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGenesis9 View Post
That there is a beautiful STI. I actually started out looking for one between years 2003 and 2007 and ended up test driving my 2011 after the 07.

As for the coilovers, you're absolutely right, and my mechanic Keith Pizio has already advised me of the same thing. I got a 12k spring rate on all four, which may ruin daily comfort but I'm ok with that loss. We'll be tuning things in the best we can to counter understeer. My car, combined with my driving style, likes to plow straight through turns at high speed and usually it's those cones I'm taking out. I rarely, if ever, spin out. I just go into turns too hot, and we'll be tuning the car around that.

Ha, Keith is a friend of mine. Sounds like your in with all the right people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubySal View Post
Not that I really want you to go any faster as it's tough enough fighting with Chris and Tyler, but check out Kinch's video's on youtube. There is a lot of good information there on reading and understanding the course.

Your definitely going to feel 12k springs, but if the valving isn't too aggressive on the dampers the ride should be tolerable over relatively smooth roads.
Trying to keep up with Chris is virtually hopeless. He's a close friend of mine actually. He spent 4 days over Christmas at my house driving go-karts and playing Angry Birds... Very, very drunk. He's just plain fast! Although, I can say that I placed first on one of the go-kart races.

Here's like, everyone in this shot.

Last edited by yamahaSHO; 01-15-15 at 09:26 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement